Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 993TT - $70K Budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always recommend having a cash "Turbo Slush Fund" equal to about 20% of your purchase price. This will protect you in the event something goes wrong after your purchase. So, in your case, Mark, about $14K. This is right about what a top-end would cost. You never want to have buyer's remorse, and be Porsche rich and cash poor.

Before I purchased my Turbo in late 2009 I made sure of the following:

1) Cash purchase- it's just a toy.
2) Knew a great air cooled mechanic to service and repair my car
3) Had my slush fund established (haven't used a dime in 2.5 years)

And when you make the conscious decision to purchase a 993 Turbo, you've gotta have all your ducks in a row (money, funds, cash o la, PPI), and be ready to pounce. So few cars available. Indecision of a 1/2 day or a couple days may cause you to lose out on the car to another more prepared buyer.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I always recommend having a cash "Turbo Slush Fund" equal to about 20% of your purchase price. This will protect you in the event something goes wrong after your purchase. So, in your case, Mark, about $14K. This is right about what a top-end would cost. You never want to have buyer's remorse, and be Porsche rich and cash poor.

Before I purchased my Turbo in late 2009 I made sure of the following:

1) Cash purchase- it's just a toy.
2) Knew a great air cooled mechanic to service and repair my car
3) Had my slush fund established (haven't used a dime in 2.5 years)

And when you make the conscious decision to purchase a 993 Turbo, you've gotta have all your ducks in a row (money, funds, cash o la, PPI), and be ready to pounce. So few cars available. Indecision of a 1/2 day or a couple days may cause you to lose out on the car to another more prepared buyer.
Boy that's good advice. The only reason I got mine is because I showed up 15 minutes early, just before the other 5 guys, on a Tuesday afternoon in October. Good luck Mark.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good advice, or at least have a cc!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I am not sure if I want my $14K not invested or earning something while I wait for something to break. I agree with the cash on purchase - we have had long discussions about this on the list, and there are several opinions (of course).

I do agree, you need to anticipate some expenditures, these cars are NOT cheap to keep - some people seem to get really lucky and just sail through ownership with no issues, but that has not been my experience (unfortunately).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Thanks guys. Actually, it is a little shocking how many low mile TT's have had $10k - $20k spent on repairs in the past few years.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Marshy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Thanks guys. Actually, it is a little shocking how many low mile TT's have had $10k - $20k spent on repairs in the past few years.
Brings up the age-old debate of whether disuse is worse than "light" abuse.

Good luck with the search Onami ! Your car is out there.

Geoff
Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I'm prepared to wait for the right car. I'm going to do a garage Reno in the meantime and I picked up a new Cadillac CTS Coupe last week as a daily driver, so I'm content for now.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Just curious...

If a car has 30K miles and now nearly 15++++ years old is it that bad if the nose was painted and fenders to blend if done correctly? Does it decrease the value all that much or is your fear more that the car had prior damage?

Just curious... I know no paint work better then paint work but would many pass up on a straight car due to a nose spray etc?

As stock as possible...everything else is negotiable, but must be original paint.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

I think it's a personal preference thing. Paintwork concerns me given that I intend to keep the car as a collectible. those wanting to drive the wheels off of the car could probably care less

Last edited by Onami; 07-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The world of collector cars is indeed different. I don't know of a single collector car, from early Rolls Royces, Dusenbergs et al, to later sports cars like Ferrari Lusso's, Austin Healys, MG TDs, Porsche RS's and everything in between, where whether a fender has been repainted has amounted to even a single dollar in consideration of value. Now if you can find an original barn find that has had zero done to it since new, that car has collector appeal. You cannot use this car in any way. It is only a trophy. It is a piece of chattel for a collector of art, not a beautiful piece of machinery to be enjoyed by a car enthusiast....I could bore all of you to death with why I feel strongly about this but I've already said more than I needed to. On the other hand, a difference of opinion is what makes horse racing possible. Good luck with your search.....Chris
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

I judged NCRS Bow-Tie unrestored class for more than 10 years and can assure you that panel repaints affect value and even their eligibility to be judged substantially. I have owned numerous low-mile cars including a 1967 L78 Camaro with 10,000 miles, '72 LT-1 Corvette with 32,000 miles, '72 LS5 Corvette with 29,000 original miles (that I drove home 24 hours straight from St Louis, MO) and a '67 L79 Corvette A/C coupe with 53,000 original miles....all unrestored and all driven by me to local cruise nights on a regular basis. I can also tell you that these unrestored and well cared for cars attract more attention and appreciation from enthusiasts than any run hard and put away wet driver or perfectly restored trailer queen. And according to the recent article that was cited here about rising Porsche values, just look at the category that garners the most value---unrestored originals. 993's are still relatively new cars and as such, low-mile examples are plentiful. Check back in 25 years and see what cars are the most valuable to "real" enthusiasts who are attempting to preserve and present these cars in their original "as built" configurations. The restorers will all be searching out guys like me who covet originality so they can view these cars and get their restos correct...maybe I'll charge a viewing fee But seriously, if you like running the tires off of your car that is just fine by me and I wish you good health to do so. It's just not my cup of tea. I truly get just as much enjoyment putting 1,000 miles a summer on my cars as I do just seeing them in all their beauty in the garage
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I judged NCRS Bow-Tie unrestored class for more than 10 years.............
That about says it all. I'm a recent NCRS member and just received a Top Flight on my mid-year coupe and while the experience was somewhat enjoyable there were far too many things I wasn't terribly fond of with that crowd. Not a great deal of consistency among judging groups, too much interpretation left to people that I didn't believe possessed the knowledge necessary to make such decisions and not nearly enough attention paid to member/club relationships (3 recent members and quality people quit after the regional after they were treated pretty poorly).

All of that said I commend folks like yourself that have the ability to use these machines so sparingly as it'll give me something to buy when mine wears out
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience...I had a few too and left my local chapter because of this. NCRS is made up of volunteers who give up their free time to judge your car with no reward. You'll get good judges/people and bad because of this. The best thing to do is become a knowledgable judge yourself so you can refute any inconsistancies. You can also ask for team leader intervention for issues that you are concerned about. At the end of the day, many don't like having their car judged because they don't like to hear criticisms of their hard work (or in many cases, hard earned dollars spent for others to restore their cars). I'm at the point where I don't care if anyone else even sees my cars...I have them for my own enjoyment and know enough about them to judge their correctness/value on my own. Taking a half hour drive out to a coffee shop on a saturday morning with the windows down is all that I need.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one showed up on PP that seems to fit OP's requirements...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...win-turbo.html

No affiliation...YMMV
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a good car.
But, I think for as pristine example as the OP is looking for, the price will be more in the 80s than 70k.
GL and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: WTB: 993TT - $70K Budget