Sponsored by:

:: ECS Tuning:: 993/993T Oil Service Kit, Now Featuring MANN Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, interesting. If you do dig up some factual info, that would be good.

My intention is not to get into a war or anything, because for me its a non-issue, I put Porsche filters only on my Turbo. Any other Turbo that comes into my shop gets Porsche filters only.

Even if they changed the production of Mann oil filters to follow the TSB, who knows if you buy a Mahle or Mann filter how old it is, does it have the updates Porsche recommends? The only way to know is to buy the filter right from Porsche since I do not think the others changed their part numbers.

There is evidence that there are issues - is it valid statistically? Nope. Search the 993 Turbo Forum, LOTS of discussion and opinions on this. There have been several instances of smoking starting once a non-Porsche filter has been out on - and I have seen it once personally.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l-filters.html

or

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...rs-failed.html

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have personally witnessed this issue TWICE (in a doofus move of vast proportions)... but both were with the Mahle filters
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Interesting.
When you say "interesting"....................
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wel, maybe "interesting" was a poor word choice. I just wanted to make sure I was 'subscribed' to this good post.

As stated in the recent past. My indy has used non-Porsche (either Mann or Mahle....I don't remember) oil filters on my Turbo the past 30 months and 5 oil changes. I've never seen a single puff of oil from my car.

I also have Kevin's oil line check valves on my turbos.

With that said, when I had my oil changed (6th change) last month I insisted on the Porsche filters. My indy is cool with it. And we will continue this selection going forward.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Wel, maybe "interesting" was a poor word choice. I just wanted to make sure I was 'subscribed' to this good post.

As stated in the recent past. My indy has used non-Porsche (either Mann or Mahle....I don't remember) oil filters on my Turbo the past 30 months and 5 oil changes. I've never seen a single puff of oil from my car.

I also have Kevin's oil line check valves on my turbos.

With that said, when I had my oil changed (6th change) last month I insisted on the Porsche filters. My indy is cool with it. And we will continue this selection going forward.
We do not have much real data, your example is with check valves - which might actually alleviate the need for the Porsche filter.

Interesting.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
We do not have much real data, your example is with check valves - which might actually alleviate the need for the Porsche filter.

Interesting.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike, others have suggested that the UMW check valves 'mask' the effect of the problem(s) with the Mann/Mahle filter, not necessarily "alleviate".

Regardless, I'm good-to-go with my Porsche filters now.

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning:: 993/993T Oil Service Kit, Now Featuring MANN Filters