Sponsored by:

:: ECS Tuning:: 993/993T Oil Service Kit, Now Featuring MANN Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default :: ECS Tuning:: 993/993T Oil Service Kit, Now Featuring MANN Filters

Protect your Porsche 993 or 993T engine. Don't let dirty crankcase oil and clogged filters lead to engine damage and expensive repairs.

Our convenient oil change service kits have everything you need to perform a professional quality oil change service.
Each kit contains top shelf synthetic LubroMoly oil and two Mann premium filters, plus sealing washers to prevent annoying leaks.

Don't settle for lesser products or incomplete kits. Your Porsche deserves the best.

Demand Excellence

For more information, click here.

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 06-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately we don't like the mann filters on the turbos, you can find many threads in the topic if search smoking or leaking turbos...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that 0W-40 weight oil is way too thin for air-cooled cars that aren't in Antarctica.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

Fail.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I read the ad and was just waiting for the reaction - it shows that ECS missed the mark on this one - I think that oil is too thin even for a NA 993, and MANN filters on a Turbo???
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Guys, guys, the sealing washers will be fine...................
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only used Porsche filters but wasn't there a post recently (993 forum) stating that Mann now make these filters for Porsche and so are pretty much identical?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

I fully understand the stance of some aircooled owners that do not wish to use 0-W40, however, it remains factory recommended weight, and some owners will not use anything but what Porsche recommends.

For those that are concerned about the low weight, we do offer Brad Penn oils in a variety of weights that you may find more acceptable.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WingChun
I've only used Porsche filters but wasn't there a post recently (993 forum) stating that Mann now make these filters for Porsche and so are pretty much identical?
Every indication I have seen appears to confirm this. I am relatively certain that the Porsche branded filters are indeed produced by Purolator here in the United States, which is a MANN+Hummel subsidiary company.

Aside from the fact that Porsche trusts MANN to produce their OEM filters, I have never had an indication that MANN produces anything to a substandard level. Their high quality production standards are what led us to use their filters.

If it would ease anyone's mind, I would be glad to personally analyze the OEM Porsche filters side-by-side with the MANN branded units.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
If it would ease anyone's mind, I would be glad to personally analyze the OEM Porsche filters side-by-side with the MANN branded units.
I think the concern raised repeatedly in the past is the cars that have used the mann filters have had problems with smoking and leaking turbos, from the smaller filter not haveing an adequate check valve (with cars developing this symptom after change to mann and resolving after going back to Porsche filters). I would be interested if there is a way to see actually if there is a structural difference between the Porsche and Mann small filter - valve design/spring tension etc or wether things are identical.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I think the concern raised repeatedly in the past is the cars that have used the mann filters have had problems with smoking and leaking turbos, from the smaller filter not haveing an adequate check valve (with cars developing this symptom after change to mann and resolving after going back to Porsche filters). I would be interested if there is a way to see actually if there is a structural difference between the Porsche and Mann small filter - valve design/spring tension etc or wether things are identical.
I have not taken them apart, but given that there is both a TSB about it, and enough events on the Turbo board about it, why would someone risk it?

I doubt if anyone can say if Mann has two variants, with the Porsche branded filters being different, but for the cost difference of a few bucks, I will stick to filters from Porsche directly.

Next time I get a Mann small filter in the shop, I will save it and take it apart, and compare to the Porsche filter.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Every indication I have seen appears to confirm this. I am relatively certain that the Porsche branded filters are indeed produced by Purolator here in the United States, which is a MANN+Hummel subsidiary company.

My wrench also confirmed this when he investigated the oil Filter concerns here on the board. Even cut open a "porsche" filter and compred them. So it does appear that Porsche brand filters bought at your dealer are made right here in the USA by Purolator. With that being said I still run only those and have had no issues so far.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PcarRacr
My wrench also confirmed this when he investigated the oil Filter concerns here on the board. Even cut open a "porsche" filter and compred them. So it does appear that Porsche brand filters bought at your dealer are made right here in the USA by Purolator. With that being said I still run only those and have had no issues so far.
The point is that the only sensitivity to brand that I have heard of around 993's is the small oil filter on Turbos only. The NA cars are fine with any brand. There have been reports of issues on the Turbo with overtightened small filters causing issues when the threaded pipe pushes against the valve inside the filter, as well as less back -flowing issues with Porsche branded filters causing oil to pool in the Turbos.

Porsche did make a change in the small oil filters - see this bulletin http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/3...0395geolab.pdf. I do not know if the Mann filters followed as well. I also do not know if the changes can be seen easily if the filters are taken apart.

Again, since there are unknowns and evidence for Turbos that non-Porsche filters may cause issues, its better to stay safe and stick with Porsche brand, at least for the Turbos.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Mike,

The bulletin you show is copyrighted "1995", perhaps in the earliest stages of 993 Turbo production. It also lists the NA part number as being 99310720301, and the Turbo number as being 99310720302. Both numbers supersede to the current 99310720303, which is the number both MANN and Mahle use for their iterations. Whatever changes have been made to the Porsche unit, they have also should have been carried out on the aftermarket units as well, in order to carry those numbers.

I will continue to research this. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting.

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning:: 993/993T Oil Service Kit, Now Featuring MANN Filters