CF front bumper and gt2 wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CF front bumper and gt2 wing

So this is my story... long again.
I had some large gouges on the bottom of my front bumper from scraping, so thought I should get a new bumper. CF would be better for less weight. But if I'm taking off weight from the front, I should take weight off from the rear as well. So decided I needed a CF wing. GT-2 would be better so I can make a cold air intake. Thought about a NA front bumper/GT2 front spoiler but preferred the normal turbo front (could add a FVD GT2 lip spoiler later if I want).

Put the gt2 wing on first. (getty CF parts) Have been told the CF parts cannot be made clear coated/presentable out of the box. Mine came white gel coated and required lots, and lots of prep time, filling up all the pin holes. Realized that if I sanded down to the Carbon fibre, it unroofed more pin holes. Painted things flat black. Any hoo, had the GT2 wing on first, found the stock IC shroud would not fit so made one with a cold air intake, taking advantage of the intakes on the wing. Went to a track day.

Interesting thing is that the IC shroud/foam around the intercooler seemed very important. Before my last run, I noticed the rear most foam piece between the wing and shroud just above the fan had come loose so I took it off. Was running IAT's in mid to high 30's (celcius) down one of the straights (wot in fourth gear - ambient about 20). During the last run with the one piece of foam off, my IAT's were in the high 40's...and could notice some decrease in oomph.... So I made better/used more foam to better seal the intercooler/wing.

Front end took a lot of work. Also painted flat black. Still can't get the rubber seals right but have given up for now, it's acceptable. Since I have more openings in the front for air entry (area around driving lights), I thought I should have more area for air to come out, so cut some slits into the side of the bumper. Not quite like ruf but looks okay I think. Since the flat black is on white gel coat, every little chip becomes noticeable ... so I thought I should wrap it in clear bra.

Bought some bulk xpel stuff and had some fun putting it on. Learned out side temps need to be reasonable to get the stuff to stretch/the limits to how much it contours/how to use a blow dryer. I think I can custom cut/apply this stuff satisfactory to anything now, there is some tricks that need to be learned. The flat black is not flat anymore with the clear bra - it becomes a little shiny and looks funny ...

Conclusion:
1) seal/shroud around IC is very important. Easy to improve IC efficiency significantly by making tight seal.
2) CF bits/aftermarket parts take lots of prep time
3) don't paint things flat black if planning to use some clear bra material...
4) weight loss:
(stock wing + shroud) - (cf gt2 wing + diy aluminum shroud) = (9.4+2.2kg) - (8.4+0.6kg) = 2.6kg = 5.7 lbs

(stock front bumper)- (CF front bumper) = 5.4 - 3.6 kg = 1.8 kg = 4 lbs

total weight loss = 9.7 lbs ... probably easier just to go on a diet (eat less and exercise myself).

not sure I really like the look but will leave it as is for now, may paint to match later or might grow on me. Am planning on using clear bra material for at least the whole front end.

pics to come
Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

pics
Attached Images             
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Basal,

Nice work, as always. Did that GT2 wing help any with lap times? Stability?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

I think it would look 100% better painted body color.

Btw, is there any chance you guys could go a day without making me feel like i'm at the kiddie table.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Basal,

Nice work, as always. Did that GT2 wing help any with lap times? Stability?
Thanx. No change in lap times but it was my first outing this year, about the same time that I had worked up to at the end of last summer. And no clue about stability but seemed to run nice.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I think it would look 100% better painted body color.

Btw, is there any chance you guys could go a day without making me feel like i'm at the kiddie table.
I agree about the color, but have noticed some newer cars with two tone type of color schemes. Makes it look business like. I also bought some CF look vinyl that I might try.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lines and proportions look good but i would paint the whole thing body color ... i can see the look you're aiming for and it's looking good
Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On El Guapo, the rear decklid I got from Jochen is carbon fibre. My experience is similar to yours: The body guy spent a lot of time $$$$$$$$$ to make it right. By biting the bullet and getting a brand new OEM front bumper and associated splitters, evrything else went easy and fit.
I was able to modify my stock IC seal to fit on the new wing.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were all in 100% carbon fiber clear coat it wouldn't look too bad but as it stands.....hmmm....looks like you stopped by the auto wreckers when they were having a sale.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice effort doc. That IC/deck seal issue is a bear and keeps my gt2 wing gathering dust in the attic. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acropora
Nice effort doc. That IC/deck seal issue is a bear and keeps my gt2 wing gathering dust in the attic. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Brad
The stock shroud is quite heavy and I don't think it seals as well as it could. Had fun pounding the aluminum again. Rediscovered aluminum rivets that worked well. I should probably paint the shroud too.

Ryojo

Quick Reply: CF front bumper and gt2 wing