Sponsored by:

G Plots: Track Tyre Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G Plots: Track Tyre Performance

I haven't previously taken too much notice of the G Plot function of my data logger. However, tonight I was intereested to to compare my previous PB on R-Compound Pirelli Corsa tyres versus the current PB on Hoosier R6's. The lap time difference was 3.5s. Car has stock "aero" but is lowered on PSS-9s.

It looks like I get about 1.1G with the R-Comps and 1.2G with the Hoosiers.

I'm interested to hear if any on the forum who run GT2 "aero" kits have any data showing better max lat G loading? Obviously there are other factors like weight, camber, roll bar settings....

What G forces are people seeing out there in track land?
Attached Images   
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I can upload some data, but I have 0 aero on my car other than S front spoiler & I have seen north of 1.4 on Hoosier R6's. I do have evo uprights and erp monoball hardware all around.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

On a perfectly flat track surface I doubt one can see over 1.2 G of lateral grip, beyond that number would be an indication of some surface camber. On braking points, that number can be higher as a result of a more pronounced mass transfer and consequent load on the tires. All the above listed factors by Malcolm are obviously right, what I would add as main contributors to increased grip are reduction in ride height/ body roll and track width (an increase of 1% in track width impacts Gs by 1%)

3.5 seconds per lap delta is huge between R compound and unlikely only a result of changing tires, unless they were totally worn out. Going from R compound to slicks is more easily a 3 second gain ++ in most average sized tracks.

Stock GT2 wing hardly makes any difference in lap times or grip.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Jean;8599012]
3.5 seconds per lap delta is huge between R compound and unlikely only a result of changing tires, unless they were totally worn out. Going from R compound to slicks is more easily a 3 second gain ++ in most average sized tracks. [QUOTE]

Jean, actually the R-Comp data was from when the car was in UMW Stg 2 form a year ago. I was no doubt slower due to less experience, particularly with braking. The Hoosier lap data came from this weekend with the car in stock K16 mode. It is hard to scientifically factor for change in power, change in grip and change in drive skill and committment. Still, my feeling is that the Hoosiers were close to their grip limit at 1.2G with my setup. I'm a little surprised by the lack of utility of the big wing. Still, the cars with 2+G capability are all very light, all very close to the ground with extremely low GOG, and all with very high track to hight index.

[QUOTE=DM993tt;8598864]I can upload some data, but I have 0 aero on my car other than S front spoiler & I have seen north of 1.4 on Hoosier R6's. [QUOTE]

Dave, looking forward to seeing the data.

Quick Reply: G Plots: Track Tyre Performance