Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Because when the engine oil filter fails>>you have a mess on your hands. Most folks won't catch it until it's to late. The lines are cheap insurance.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM
raymondgo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any news for the oil sump lines it's more than month already
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

+1 with Raymondgo: what's happening with the oil sump lines?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have shipped 4 sets and installed 2 sets on customer cars. Murphy's law has struck. The production process is on "hold" waiting for a new tooling die. The radius die broke as halfway into a run for the right side.

If interested in purchasing the lines email me and get your name on the list. It is a first come first serve basis. I don't have enough stock yet to keep them on the shelf.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

Question Still puzzled

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Right but if you replace the filter with the correct one, does that not cure the problem? Or is it something that fails as a result of the wrong filter and/or just the passage of time that creates the high oil levels in the crankcase? And if so why do the check valves not take care of it?

+1 with ScottMellor: when you have turbos in good condition, use Genuine Porsche oil filters, maintain engine oil level at 1/3 above the minimum on the dipstick, and have the 996 TT oil check valves installed, why do you still have smoke coming out of the exhaust after the car has not been driven for a couple of weeks? That is what happens to my car. I thought that the 996 check valves were supposed to prevent this from happening?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Crankcase base pressure is to high.. You have enough blowby to cause this issue. It's not worth a topend overhaul if your numbers aren't over 12% leakdown.

A tight overspun factory oil filter will cause a breach.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

And the new oil sump lines solve this problem for good?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think that this will be the 3rd time that I have tried to convey that the oil is raising the level in the crankcase and back-siphoning into the turbocharger sump tanks. The oil level will rise above the turbine rotating assy. Oil seeps out of the sealing rings into your compressor housing (gets blown into your IC) and turbine housing (gets burnt up in your cats and muffler>appears as smoke.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And the new oil sump lines solve this problem for good?
Death and taxes?

What happens about your blow-bye. Rebuild your engine with a new topend and new pistons and liners, with fresh turbochargers and the odds that you won't smoke will be greatly reduced.

Even with that said, our flat 6 engine will puff some smoke at the odd start up. This happens on the newer GT1 Metzger GT3/996TT engine also.

Porsche added the "P" trap sump lines on the 996T/997TT WITH the oil check valve. It was a engineered retrofit.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remain thoroughly confused.

Blowby, top end and these lines resolve this?

Blowby happens while engine is running, not at rest.
There must be something I am missing...

EDIT: Just saw the past post above... that I'll buy. The odd puffs of smoke happen on these engines and still do on the GT3.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The blow-bye back-pressure that is built up in the engine case (while running) puts stress on the engine mounted oil filter. Whether not enough oil is being scavenged out of the engine case.

This is the last ditch effort prior to a engine rebuild. When you are down and out and frustrated this is a viable fix.

Again, all you have to do is check the amount of oil that is flowing out of your turbocharger sump tanks. I had a Rennlisters' shop do the sump tank test. At the end of 2 days they had 1/2 quart out of each turbocharger. 3 days later they measured 2.5 quarts had drained out of the sump tanks. This oil will PASS right into your tailpipe or compressor housing. You can remove your sump tanks and watch the oil drip right out of the sump return lines.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 AM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

Thank you for the additional explanation Kevin, now I have (I hope) a better understanding of the issue, and I would bet that your extra comments have been very helpful for a lot of others too, judging from all the queries that were posted.
So if I understand correctly, despite all my precautions a valve (is that correct?) in the Genuine Porsche oil filter can be breached because of the oil pressure that can inherently go too high in this engine. Do the new oil sump lines just prevent oil migration in case the valve is breached, or can they reduce the chances of the valve being breached?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The filter fails and oil migrates from the main engine oil tank into the engine case (thru the oil filter)..

The updated/revised/oil return-sump tank lines prevent the oil from migrating to the turbochargers thru the "back-door".

I had a LA Porsche Service Manager call me last week. He mentioned that he instructs his techs to ONLY thread the factory engine filter 1/2 turn once the rubber lip seats. He then puts a hose clamp around the oil filter and safety wires the filter to prevent it from backing/spinning off.

I don't recommend this suggestion. I do crank the filters on hand tight to nearly a full turn. The risk is to great to have a filter spinning off.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Kevin
The blow-bye back-pressure that is built up in the engine case (while running) puts stress on the engine mounted oil filter. Whether not enough oil is being scavenged out of the engine case.

This is the last ditch effort prior to a engine rebuild. When you are down and out and frustrated this is a viable fix.

Again, all you have to do is check the amount of oil that is flowing out of your turbocharger sump tanks. I had a Rennlisters' shop do the sump tank test. At the end of 2 days they had 1/2 quart out of each turbocharger. 3 days later they measured 2.5 quarts had drained out of the sump tanks. This oil will PASS right into your tailpipe or compressor housing. You can remove your sump tanks and watch the oil drip right out of the sump return lines.
You'd notice this much oil missing on the dipstick would you not Kevin? If so, then as long as you're not seeing oil loss on the dipstick you probably don't have the problem?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LAT
My car came with the Andial lines and they work great,
For anyone thinking of this retrofit, I for one recommend it.
Mine too. PO put them on. No problems since I replaced Mahle oil filters in spring 08 and made sure that all future oil changes included correct oil filters. I'm looking for some wood to touch as I type this though.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks solution for 993TT chronic oil leakers