Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Car Video and Data Acquisition Systems - Preferred options, Pro's and Con's....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Car Video and Data Acquisition Systems - Preferred options, Pro's and Con's....

It has been quite a while since I last posted on this forum (sounds like a "confession") but I am pleased to say that I have at last started to do some track time in my TT with the local Porsche Club.

I have been looking at the options for both Data and Video Acquisition and I would be interested in the various opinions of the members. I have looked via the net at the following:

1. MaxQData: http://www.maxqdata.com/VeQtr.htm
This looks to be the cheapest option as you can use your own hardware (lap top, camera's) and just purchase the acquisition unit for $750. It appears that the $179 software licence is included. It collects all the usual data:
•20 Hz GPS Latitude, Longitude, Heading, and Speed
•20 Hz Lateral, Longitudinal, and Vertical acceleration
•20 Hz Roll Rate, Pitch Rate, Yaw Rate measurements
•Gyro-based Lean Angle estimator for motorcycles
•Horsepower
•Track maps
•Friction circle plots
•Video analysis included in free PC software (video overlay generation optional)
•Lap and segment times
•Altitude
•Satellite count
•Turn radius
•1/4 mile timeslips
The down side appears to be a fairly limited ability to display the data. Two data recordings can be compared in a track overlay display, but no alternate plots like Speed Vs Distance etc.

2. Traqmate: http://store.traqmate.com/default.asp
This product looks the goods but is expensive at $1800 in "basic" form.The website is big on selling and fairly poor on detail of the software. It is also quite expensive and the way the website presents the various "optioins" it is unclear which if any of the options one need to purchase to get the job done. I know many on the forum use this and I would be interested in their opinion about the useability of the data as opposed to the fun of the video.

3. Video VBox Lite: http://www.videovbox.co.uk/index.php...ideo-vbox-lite
This too looks very good, but once again, the description and detail on the software for data analysis is poor. Some of the software mentioned is "work in progress". The website price list currently does not list the "lite" price" but last time I looked it was around 1000 Pounds GB. My feeling currently is that this might be the better option.

No doubt there are other options. Thanks in advance for your help and input. What experience and advice to you all have?

Malcolm.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Hey Malcolm..........glad you're back and even more glad you are tracking ......it is always going to happen.......it just does! I'm trying to decide on similar equipment....we should buy together for a group discount perhaps? Let me know as you go along and I will keep you posted on my musings too.

Rgds Grant
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Lots of links on this subject, especially over in the DE/Racing forum.

I have noticed a lot of Traqmates at PCA DE events here in the midwest. Aiptek is having a 15% off sale which includes Traqmate and their starting unit price is well below $1800, more like $600 and change.

Many posts point to the software / application as key to the usefulness of the data acquired.

I too have been "thinking" about it.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Grant, nice to hear from you. Whilst I might have followed your lead into track work, you are way in front of me, mate. My first track day was at Lakeside, recently re-opened after resurfacing. It is a very fast track, a bit too fast for my fledgeling skills. 205 km/hr into the LH kink on the main straight tests your nerve! Lots of fun...tough on the underware!

Kein - thanks, I'll look into Aiptek and the other forums.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The traqmate is a great tool, and to Kein's point it really comes down to the software and your ability to break down what you have done..... The traqmate software is very easy to use and can give you great insight into your laps.

Another consideration is getting a system that the other guys are using, then you can share data and compare laps. There is more value to this than just looking at your own laps in isolation......

OT: I miss lakeside (I am Australian living in Canada) When did they re-open? I remember doing all the sprint days and the "ride the Racetrack" with the porsche club, really good bunch of guys in the Qld porsche club.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:37 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Steven, thanks for your input.
Lakeside was re-opened late last year. To enhance your memory, here's a link to some video from the last Porsche Club outing there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGkvdthQ50
Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the Video, some familiar cars going around there...

The track is looking pretty nice, Its good to see they took some of the bump out of the Kink.......
Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you looking to keep the costs down, and, if you already have a camcorder, then you could get by with just a data acquisition box and some software to overlay the data on the video as a post processing step. It's a bit of a pain, but it is cheaper. Many of the data acq company's software will do this.

My advice is to play with each system's software with some sample data; they all provide the software and sample data for free. Pick the one you like.

You can typically import data from other data loggers so having the exact same setup as your friend's isn't so important.

Also, consider what the setup/teardown steps are for each system if you don't plan to keep it in the car all the time. Also, what is involved in getting the data out of the car and in front of you for analysis. For example, I prefer systems that just memory cards so all I do is grab the card from the car and plug it in to a PC. But, others prefer the idea of a laptop already in the car, doing the recording, and then pulling the laptop out of the car for analysis. I believe that with the TraqMate, you have to take the unit out of the car to plug it in to a PC via USB. This seems like a hassle to me and might explain why most people seem to just use it as a lap timer and not so much for data analysis. MaxQData as another option and that is to record the data into an iPod Touch or iPhone, which also acts as a lap timer display.

Lots of choices. What works for your friends may not work for you.

Quick Reply: In Car Video and Data Acquisition Systems - Preferred options, Pro's and Con's....