Sponsored by:

GT2 Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GT2 Front Suspension

Just had Jeff Gamroth of Rothsport install GT2 uprights and other front suspension components, which with PSS10s (set at 4 front and 5 rear), is so amazing. I debated doing it because it wasn't free, wasn't sure I needed it, thought it might look like a "mod" rather than an "upgrade" at time of resale, etc. However, I love it. The car now has so much better turn-in, and it feels a lot more stable at all speeds and on all types of surfaces. Huge smile and many thanks to the Rothsport folks.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a great setup you have there. Enjoy and take it the track!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

nice setup indeed, now remove all those pesky fwd components from some real handling benefits
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Goat farmer, would you mind sharing exactly which components you purchased and how much the total was? PM if you prefer. I have the Pss9's right now and looking to stiffen things up a bit, set up the car for track use. Any pics to show ride height etc.?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Thanks gents,

I have been inspired by both of your cars, and have given the 2wd thing much thought. However, given that it is a daily driver in wet-for-8-months Portland, my goal has been to make a great-handling AWD street car. However, if I ever bang it up (and crush the resale value), then I will be liberated from resale concerns and immediately convert it into a lightweight Maritime Blue 2wd hot rod...similar to your car and Spartan's minus the GT2 bodywork.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Matt - you coming karting Sat afternoon, weather permitting?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Matt - you coming karting Sat afternoon, weather permitting?
Can't make it Doug, I'll be at the Gopher/Badger game watching the slaughter then heading up north to do some fishing. Have fun though and take home the win for the air cooled boys
Old 10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the GT2 uprights and what-nots on my car, and it is the best mod to the suspension for a lowered car I have ever done. It transforms a low car. No more puckering when you hit a matchbox. Nice nice nice.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

I agree with Scott that the car is so much more confidence-inspiring now...never scary. It feels like an (admittedly pretty heavy) go kart, so flat and precise that I can chuck in very hard...and then it just slides predictably until I let it hook back up. Best of all, it's not harsh when I am just commuting/cruising, etc. I know there is a temptation to advocate one's own car projects, but I think it is justified in this case. Thanks RL.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did any of you do just the uprights in one step to feel the difference before and after? I wonder how much of the "goodness" is from other upgrades...
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did the uprights and tie rods (nothing else to the suspension). There is a noticeable improvement in stability and turn-in. The turn-in is much quicker, I think the tie rods make for a more direct feel and I believe there is decrease in the amount you need to turn lock to lock.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I just did the uprights and tie rods (nothing else to the suspension). There is a noticeable improvement in stability and turn-in. The turn-in is much quicker, I think the tie rods make for a more direct feel and I believe there is decrease in the amount you need to turn lock to lock.

Basal Skull I think you might have done a suspension alignment session after mounting those parts and changes to your toe settings, these have a direct impact to the feel you describe.

I frankly dont see the need for these parts for any street legal 993TT. They are a nice to have but there is so much more I would do first.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jean
I frankly dont see the need for these parts for any street legal 993TT. They are a nice to have but there is so much more I would do first.
This has been my impression. It seems you'd have to lower a 993TT way down to racing height before the uprights will make an appreciable difference and then, mainly for correcting bump steer and the roll center.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

My car is not slammed but the geometry change made a huge difference in day-to-day street / "real world" driving by reducing the car's tendancy to track in truck ruts, significantly improving stability over rough surfaces, etc. The fact it makes the car more fun to drive could be considered a bonus, because often it seems like to gain handling you have to give up some streetability. I found that not to be the case here, which is why I am so jacked up and posting praise. Having said all that, I totally agree with Jean that you don't "need" this for a street car. Luckily, my wife only holds me to a "want" standard.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Basal Skull I think you might have done a suspension alignment session after mounting those parts and changes to your toe settings, these have a direct impact to the feel you describe.

Jean you're right. I did have an 'alignment session'. I'm not sure about what toe settings he used but I went from camber -1 front, -1.7 rear to -2 all around. The mechanic (head mechanic at MCL Porsche) told me my kinematic toe was not set properly before. I guess it would be hard to assess exactly what's done what, and with the money we spend on these cars, I'm sure there's some placebo effect! Which I honestly don't mind...
I'm just back from a drive this morning up the Sea to Sky hwy with 40 or so other Porsches, it drove real nice.

Quick Reply: GT2 Front Suspension