Sponsored by:

GT2 Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
I frankly dont see the need for these parts for any street legal 993TT. They are a nice to have but there is so much more I would do first.
The GT2 EVO front bits aren't needed but I can tell you that my car, lowered to approx RS spec (maybe 5mm lower) has terrible bump steer! Next week I am installing the GT2 front bits...fingers crossed for a better behaved front end
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuner1 - what are your symptoms of "bump steer"?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Tuner1 - what are your symptoms of "bump steer"?
What bump steer always is...the steering wheel jumps violently in your hand under hard cornering when the suspension is forced to compress. It also happens going straight if you go though a large dip in the road with only one of the front wheels. MacPherson strut suspensions are notoriously bad for this problem when lowered beyond their designed operating parameters.

Better said by someone else

"Bump steer" is the toe-in change that the front or rear tire takes as it travels up or down. With poor bump-steer characteristics, a car will dart from side to side over bumpy roads and have potentially dangerous transient reactions.

Not long ago I drove a 993 RUF Turbo R (approx RS ride height) on our bumpy local track and the bump steer was so bad that it almost hurt my wrists

Last edited by Tuner1; 10-03-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: 1
Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like "kick back" to me. Bump steer you don't feel in the steering wheel, but the car steers on its own as it goes over bumps. The fact that bump steer cannot be felt in the steering wheel very well is what makes it so dangerous. Kick back on the other hand is either annoying or not, depending on what you like.

I don't know if the uprights fix kick back.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Sounds like "kick back" to me. Bump steer you don't feel in the steering wheel, but the car steers on its own as it goes over bumps.
Bump steer can be felt in the steering wheel because the steering wheel needs constant corrections to keep the car on line through bumpy corners.

Last edited by Tuner1; 10-03-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

My point is that kickback is commonly caused by wider wheels and/or smaller offset wheels and/or using spacers which gives the wheels a higher leverage than stock, thus transmitting bumps to the steering wheel more than stock.

Just trying to save you money on GT2 uprights if they might not fix your kickback...

On my car, I recently switched to wider wheels, 9", up front and converted to monoball suspension, and increased camber from -1.6 to -2.2, and the the kickback is much more noticable than before; ride height was not changed. GT2 uprights would likely not have any effect.

Last edited by pstoppani; 10-03-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Just trying to save you money on GT2 uprights if they might not fix your kickback...
Fair enough. I find that lower than stock offset wheels do the most to increase kick back.

What offset are you using on your 9" front wheels and what size tires?
Mine are 18x9" +54.

Surprisingly Porsche fitted the 993 GT2 street cars with 18x9" front wheels that had quite a low offset (around +30mm IIRC) with no other front suspension geometry changes that I am aware of. This should result in a fair amount of kick back vs a stock 993TT but sadly I have never driven a real GT2 to find out!

Last edited by Tuner1; 10-04-2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: GT2
Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Tour18
Banned

Tuner1, is that a GT2 wing you have. And if so, how did you secure the grill?

Forgive me, I am not trying to hijack this thread...
Old 10-04-2009, 02:35 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuner1
What offset are you using on your 9" front wheels and what size tires?
Mine are 18x9" +54.
18x9 +48 with 245/40 NT01s.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

18x9 +48 with 245/40 NT01s.
I can see these specifications adding to the steering wheel kick back but your #s are still far better than a stock GT2.

Did you have to do any fender lip rolling to fit these front wheels and tires with your -2.2 camber? How stiff are your spring rates?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can see these specifications adding to the steering wheel kick back but your #s are still far better than a stock GT2.

Did you have to do any fender lip rolling to fit these front wheels and tires with your -2.2 camber? How stiff are your spring rates?
Yes, fender rolling was required. I'm running PSS9 suspension so whatever that comes with in terms of spring stiffness.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970
Just had Jeff Gamroth of Rothsport install GT2 uprights and other front suspension components, which with PSS10s (set at 4 front and 5 rear), is so amazing. I debated doing it because it wasn't free, wasn't sure I needed it, thought it might look like a "mod" rather than an "upgrade" at time of resale, etc. However, I love it. The car now has so much better turn-in, and it feels a lot more stable at all speeds and on all types of surfaces. Huge smile and many thanks to the Rothsport folks.
Glad to hear that you like it. I'm getting ready to do the same with my car, along with a bunch of other suspension bits I've been sitting on for a while.

I definitely have bump steer at RS ride height, so I'm looking forward to fixing that.

I'm still not 100% decided on dampers. I am leaning heavily toward Moton Clubsport (thanks to advice from Steve W at Rennsport Systems) but I've heard recommendations for JRZ and KW from more than a couple of people. My car (2WD, 480-ish HP) is used 75% for track and occasional fun weekend drives, but I drive to the track. Right now I'm running the Ruf-valved PSS9s, but I find the setup far too soft at the track.

Thoughts from others running similar setups?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very odd, I'm at RS height and not only do I not get bumpsteer, the suspension tuner checked for bumpsteer and there isn't any... I'm on PSS9s (yeah, a little soft for a mostly track car but a good compromise for the street). All three of the kits you mentioned (Moton, JRZ and KW) are excellent and would recommend the one that you can get someone to setup properly.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Not long ago I drove a 993 RUF Turbo R (approx RS ride height) on our bumpy local track and the bump steer was so bad that it almost hurt my wrists
If you're ever out this way I'd be happy to take you out on a pretty smooth track in the same car (a little lower than RS), with these bits added.

Quick Reply: GT2 Front Suspension