recommended 993tt upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
993fvr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommended 993tt upgrades

Hi,
Am looking to upgrade my 97 993tt and have contacted a local tuner. He recommends FVD ECU modifications, K24 turbos , upgraded boost hoses and billet diverter valves. Does anyone have experience with these modifications? How much turbo lag do you get with the K24 turbos compared to the stock turbos?Is there any other mod that can negate this?Any other mods that would make a significant difference in performance without compromising reliability as this is my daily driver?Thanks.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of threads on RL, search here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php

You can also read here:
http://993tt.com/EngineModifications...9/Default.aspx

And welcome aboard.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call Ultimate Motorwerks, they'll create a system that fits your desires (like minimized lag with more power...).

http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/products.html#993
Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Call Ultimate Motorwerks, they'll create a system that fits your desires (like minimized lag with more power...).

http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/products.html#993
+1
Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993fvr
Hi,
Am looking to upgrade my 97 993tt and have contacted a local tuner. He recommends FVD ECU modifications, K24 turbos , upgraded boost hoses and billet diverter valves. Does anyone have experience with these modifications? How much turbo lag do you get with the K24 turbos compared to the stock turbos?Is there any other mod that can negate this?Any other mods that would make a significant difference in performance without compromising reliability as this is my daily driver?Thanks.
What do you want to do with the car? K24's with the FVD ecu is not a bad upgrade, but you wil have more lag. Unless your primarily tracking your car, I'd research some of the other options. One of the things I'd do is upgrade the oil intercooler, as it sounds like you will be going down the slippery slope soon.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM
993fvr
Instructor

Thanks for the info re: Ultimate Motorwerks and previous RL links. I'm interested in improving my 993tt just for street use for now. Does anyone have any recommendations for tuners in Southern California? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't need a tuner, you need a "kit" that is well known and then someone to install it; any Porsche shop can do the installation. A lot of "local tuners" will simply sell you whatever they make the most money on, or the easiest thing they can get for your car without doing any research on your behalf.

The kit you described from FVD is a typical kit people put on the car, but it does add a bit of lag to the car. UMW, and others, sell what is called a hybrid turbo which will increase the power substantially yet minimize lag.

Use the search on this forum and you will find tons of great info that will educate you on the options that suit your needs. Or, call Kevin at UMW and he'll set you up with the parts and software and all you have to do is find a decent Porsche shop in your area to do the installation.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Use the search on this forum and you will find tons of great info that will educate you on the options that suit your needs. Or, call Kevin at UMW and he'll set you up with the parts and software and all you have to do is find a decent Porsche shop in your area to do the installation.
+1
Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 AM
993fvr
Instructor

Sounds like the smarter way to go. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

You definitely want to keep the temp down, so Turbo S-oil cooler and replace all air filters to high performance once. I have a Stage III EVO 540hp and love it. I do not know if EVO still offers that upgrade, but it might be worth to look into it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseNSJ4
You definitely want to keep the temp down, so Turbo S-oil cooler
It's a good upgrade to add a second oil cooler - either Turbo S or the Ruf/Cargraphic style (which is larger).

and replace all air filters to high performance once.
I disagree. The stock air filter setup seems to have plenty of headroom for the sort of upgrades you're looking to do - most aftermarket filter/airbox setups for these cars have issues. The K&N type filters can foul the MAF due to the oil-impregnated filter element and the Fabspeed-type airbox draws hot engine compartment air rather than cool air through the intercooler shroud and decklid.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
It's a good upgrade to add a second oil cooler - either Turbo S or the Ruf/Cargraphic style (which is larger).

I disagree. The stock air filter setup seems to have plenty of headroom for the sort of upgrades you're looking to do - most aftermarket filter/airbox setups for these cars have issues. The K&N type filters can foul the MAF due to the oil-impregnated filter element and the Fabspeed-type airbox draws hot engine compartment air rather than cool air through the intercooler shroud and decklid.
I am running on the K&N filters for the last 5 years and never had any problems! Not to disagree with you but I have never heard about the issue you were explaining. I need to look deeper into that issue. Thanks.

Last edited by gooseNSJ4; 02-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseNSJ4
I am running on the K&N filters for the last 5 years and never had any problems! Not to disagree with you but I have never heard about the issue you were explaining. I need to look deeper into that issue. Thanks.
It seems to be a hit or miss kinda thing, but in my opinion it's one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations. From what I've read here, the stock air induction setup is fine for a 450hp upgrade. Then again, if it works for you that's great, too!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
It seems to be a hit or miss kinda thing, but in my opinion it's one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations. From what I've read here, the stock air induction setup is fine for a 450hp upgrade. Then again, if it works for you that's great, too!
It may be the difference. I have EVO 540hp stage III with K24's. But you right, if ain't broke......
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

I have found that for street use only, the aux oil cooler has not been needed. I have a GT1 hybrid setup and have never had a problem with oil temps running around the streets and highways.

Quick Reply: recommended 993tt upgrades