Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf wheel dilemma, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ruf wheel dilemma, what would you do?

After reading a post here on Rennlist that Ruf was re-calling all of the magnesium wheels they sold, I called HP Lieb at Ruf to ask if that was true. He said that out of all the magnesium wheels they had sold, a couple of them had cracked, therefore Ruf does not want to be liable for any of these wheels. The problems occured under harsh track conditions and the cars were being pushed . Because of this, they asked me if I would return my wheels and they would replace them with the standard aluminum ones . I do not track my car.

The magnesium wheels on my car were purchased by the pevious owner and he was also the original owner of my car. One of the selling features when I bought my car was that it had these very lightweight (18lbs. front and 20lbs. rear) Ruf wheels. They are amazingly light for a 19" wheel. I have not experienced any problems with them and just had them refinished. At the time of purchase, these wheels were over
$10k which would have been close to 3 times the amount for the aluminum ones back in the early 2000's.

I have no idea how many sets of these wheels Ruf sold.

What do you guys think, should I send them back and take the heavier aluminum ones as an even exchange, or just keep what I have?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful car, Scott!

Keep them. And keep an eye on them with a yearly inspection.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing as I am such a Giver, I will swap you for my aluminium ones and take the terrible burden from you. Especially since you have painted them.
Seeing as you drive your car 200 miles per year, I expect global warming to cause the oceans to rise and flood your garage before the Mag wheels fail.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

You probably won't have any problem, but when you sell the car and the next owner does and finds out about the recall, it could get pricey.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
droy3
Instructor

I would keep the Mg ones and ask Ruf to send you the new Al ones and sign a form indicating that you absolve them of any liability. Don't know if it's possible but it seems reasonable. When and if you sell the car you're covered with the new rims and you can/should disclose to new owner and have him also absolve you of any liability stemming from the Mg rims. Just my two cents...
Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Seeing as I am such a Giver, I will swap you for my aluminium ones and take the terrible burden from you. Especially since you have painted them.
Seeing as you drive your car 200 miles per year, I expect global warming to cause the oceans to rise and flood your garage before the Mag wheels fail.
Heeey, you beat me to it
Old 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Time ago, Before each 500 mile open wheel race (Michigan and Fontana) we were required to provide certificates of crack check inspection on all of our wheels.

What if you propose to RUF providing a NDT crack check cert periodically instead of sending your Mag wheels back to them? Just a thought.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Tugboat 996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Time ago, Before each 500 mile open wheel race (Michigan and Fontana) we were required to provide certificates of crack check inspection on all of our wheels.

What if you propose to RUF providing a NDT crack check cert periodically instead of sending your Mag wheels back to them? Just a thought.

Hey Chris...what team were you with?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Man that car is sweet Scott!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Those are some serious wheels. I really love the look of these wheels. But recently had to replaced my Aluminum Ruf wheels because they are just too darn heavy. The handling really suffered from the extra weights. Hard decision to make when it comes to your own safety....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
Hey Chris...what team were you with?

In 2000, the last year we produced Champ Cars, we ran Tarso Marques. The 500 miler prep was rather extensive over that of typical race prep. Hated it then, miss it now - its a disease

Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the issue is finding a replacement if you ever damage one or it cracks down the road
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Ask RUF to replace the wheels and refund the difference in price at the time they were purchased. If porsche recalled all the 993tts and replaced them with 993NAs would that be fair? Or refund the entire retail price and buy a set of the aluminum ones.
or if you only drive 200 miles per year just keep what you got (since you like them so much)
Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just keep them.

hell they will be worth a fortune in a few years.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 PM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have them checked for cracks. If they're OK, keep em and don't track them (Duh!). I doubt RUF will front you aluminum set without the return. Fabulous car.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ruf wheel dilemma, what would you do?