Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf wheel dilemma, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno who makes 'em but Wheeldynamics sells 'em.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

-CD-, would you buy a Rolex Daytona that had it's movement made by Zenith?
Oh wait, they were made by Zenith up until a few years ago.
Lord, I am SUCH a this week.

Last edited by ScottMellor; 09-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 AM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
-CD-, would you buy a Rolex Daytona that had it's movement made by Zenith?
Oh wait, they were made by Zenith up until a few years ago.
Lord, I am SUCH a this week.

Thats not the same!

Rolex 16520 and Rolex 116520 both are Daytonas and if there is working the Zenith based movement or the manufacture movement, its a Rolex, a original Rolex!

It is easy to tell the people that the rims are identical because of the same production place, nobody can proof this!

And they look not 100% identical!

And in my opinion i won´t go with the risk!

I saw too much bad rims which was sold as good as the Original and i never saw it!

And there is a point, to be the most important point to me!

I don´t buy fakes!

It´s bad for the original manufacture and perhaps bad for myself!

Here are a lot of Ruf Fans and i wonder that some pushing a fake!

Greetings Christian
Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of Ruf wheels. Anyone know where i can send mine out to get redone. The previous owner did not know how to park. There is only one wheel that could use some minor repair but i would like the whole set to look new.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Christian,

Your point about promoting fakes is well taken and duly noted.

Mel,

Both Scott (Bradford) & I had our wheels refinished. It is VERY hard to find someone who is willing to take the time and get the correct "hyper-silver" paint, and deal with a bunch a **** numb-nuts such as ourselves. Scott ended up getting the paint from Ruf ($250/quart, fer gawds sakes), and we had a local body shop do them. They came out great. But we called a LOT of places that wanted nothing to do with either of us, or our hyper-silver nonsense.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.alsacorp.com has a paint very similar... I wonder if they supply a variation to Ruf or something.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:50 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I junked my magnesium BBS wheels when the xrays came back with fatigue cracks after two years. Inspite of my concern for my wallet my lust for life overcame bad judgement.

Let see... for those who maintain that the failures are track related are forgetting about the pot holes and curbs that will do a wheel in just as it would on a track. Brilliant, just brillant deductions coming from the Rennlist Tifosi.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone should be supporting a company that is ripping off Ruf. Even if someone wanted to pay Ruf a royalty to knock off their wheels, Ruf would never do it...QC, etc.

Buy the real stuff.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I agree with you about fakes.

I guess a better analogy would be this:
Back in my youth in Blighty, I had a Triumph Boneville with the front disk brake. My mate had an Austin Mini Cooper. One day we noticed that the brakes were identical. The Mini parts were 1/2 the price of the Triumph parts, and they were both made by Girling.

I'm saying if the parts are IDENTICAL and made by the same manufacturer to the same spec, then I have no problem with them.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
jbryan
Advanced

Bradford...I am curious about your center exhaust on your Turbo R. In 1996, while living in Germany Alois built me a Turbo R with a CTR like center exhaust and said he would never do one again because of the fitment issues. I don't own the car anymore I (it is in California) but I am curious where your center exhaust setup came from. He (Alois) touted my car as the "only" Center exhaust Turbo R ever built for many years...and I believe him. I am still good friends with him as well...just curious where yours came from. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:35 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Scott (Bradford) & I had our wheels refinished. It is VERY hard to find someone who is willing to take the time and get the correct "hyper-silver" paint, and deal with a bunch a **** numb-nuts such as ourselves. Scott ended up getting the paint from Ruf ($250/quart, fer gawds sakes), and we had a local body shop do them. They came out great. But we called a LOT of places that wanted nothing to do with either of us, or our hyper-silver nonsense.
Thanks Steve for the heads up! I'm with you numb-nuts. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll call Ruf and see about the paint. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

as to buying replicas - a couple of issues might push me in that direction:

1. I had read here (I think) that there are or have been some availability issues. don't know if these are just short term supply issues or discontinuing the wheels

2. if someone else built WB offset wheels that did not require spacers

at least the last time I looked, I considered Ruf's pricing reasonable - that is not the issue
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

jbryan,

I know your ex-car and its new, curent owner ("Niche" is his Rennlist handle). I absolutely LOVED your car and its unique, center exhaust (and the yellow intercooler with the dyno numbers down to a hundredth of a horse-power!).

"Bradford" is Scott, and he has a very, very fast 3.8 FVD car, but it is not a Ruf Turbo R, despite the Magnesium Ruf wheels, and the Ruf bumpers, The attached picture is of my Ruf Turbo R with a center exhaust... as far as I know, the only other one in existence. It is actually quite simple to run the exhaust to the center, either with or without a muffler... mine is without.

Anyway, your car is still a masterpiece, and is being very well cared for.

<edit> I forgot to mention, I have the actual brakes from your car on mine, when the previous owner upgraded to newer Brembos, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So our cars are related by blood (and sweat and tears).
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jbryan
Bradford...I am curious about your center exhaust on your Turbo R. In 1996, while living in Germany Alois built me a Turbo R with a CTR like center exhaust and said he would never do one again because of the fitment issues. I don't own the car anymore I (it is in California) but I am curious where your center exhaust setup came from. He (Alois) touted my car as the "only" Center exhaust Turbo R ever built for many years...and I believe him. I am still good friends with him as well...just curious where yours came from. Thanks.
jbryan - I liked the uniqueness of the center exhaust rear bumper so much that I went in search of one. I bought a slightly damaged one from Steve Beddor who raced his CTR2 Sport for Ruf (picture below). I narrowed the bumper down to fit a normal wide body car. You can see from the photo how much wider the CTR2 Sport is than a standard wide body turbo. The bumpers are made from fiberglass so they are pretty easy to work with. The exhaust is then cut to fit. I just kind of took my time and spent over a year on it.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM
jbryan
Advanced

Steve & Scott...Well how cool is that! Steve...I guess we must have ran into each other in Germany. Those brakes, the fronts anyway, are the same as the winning GT-1 at LeMans in '96 or '98. Scott I know Steve Beddor as well and his yellowbird. I watched it serviced many times in Pfaffenhausen. FYI I am living/working in Oklahoma City and driving a black 2008 GT-3 with a Ruf (Dallas) chassis setup. I bought the car new in Germany from Larry Miller and had Alois ship it to the US for me. But...I do miss my old Turbo R...especially all that TORQUE.

Quick Reply: Ruf wheel dilemma, what would you do?