Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Rare Porsche gathering: 2 Rufs, 993GT2, and a Cayman (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks to all of you for the compliments on my GT2. It took15 months to complete. Many thanks to Dieter at Andial who did a superb job! The engine is a blast to drive and is fully CA Smog compliant. Also thanks to Jean for shipping me the wheels from Dubai! I ended up getting a second set (just in case...) built by Speedline for Porsche.

I used a lot of the parts on this car we took off the first ever built GT2 (serial # ending in 61) i.e. aluminim doors complete with glass and mechanical crank, thin rear glass, wheel carriers, Bilstein adjustable suspension, sway bars, front spoiler lip (actually was used in 1995 at Daytona 24h) and more.

The interior was completely changed: original lightweight factory carpet kit with the GT logo, Recaro seats, interior lights moved to footwell, GT2 door handles (same as 993RS). Period correct bolt in Matter half cage (did not want to weld in factory full cage due to street usage).

will take more detail pics shortly (promise!!) and will post.

Porschemeister

Last edited by porschemeister; 07-21-2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Jochen,

Great to see you here. Have you gotten that Eng Tech (?) CEL gadget?

CP
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Porschemiester

That is truly stunning, by the look of the glossy paintwork at the front I would guess you don't put many miles on it as I know my iris blue front shows road rash very quickly with any mileage - or do you have some secret anti-chip formula ?

Just a note on your wheels (and I guess you have heard this 100 times ) be careful, they will crack, it is matter of when ! I have had a rear crack during a journey at speed, fortunately it held together and didn't disintigrate just sent a vibration like a badly balanced wheel......

More pics
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM
bkcsr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice job! Please post more detailed pictures of the conversion, including the interior. Did you strip the sound and heat insulation as well?

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to add a few notes from my perspective:
Pong & Melissa came from Los Altos, Jochen from Orinda, I came up from Santa Cruz, and we met at a wonderful central location in Half Moon Bay. I had never met Jochen before, and my mouth fell into my soup when he started telling his racing stories... I THOUGHT his name sounded familiar. This is a very nice guy with SERIOUS racing creds, and great racing stories. It was a wonderful lunch. Of course its always great to see Pong and his beautiful daughter Melissa. Thanks for posting your pictures, Pong.

Jochan had JUST finished his GT2, and has only 300 miles on it since rebuild. I'm no expert, but his car is absolutely correct in every detail. This must be, without a doubt, the finest street GT2 in the USA, and some may call it a replica, but I am still amazed by the attention to detail. Kudos to Jochan for allowing us in the USA to see such a machine on the street.

What a great day! Thanks Pong, Melissa, and Jochen.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Great pics Pong. That GT2 is amazing!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Great pics Pong. That GT2 is amazing!
+1
Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jochen...nice to see it finished. Sent you an email the other day. Hope when you are in LA we can get together. You need to see my car now that its finished (w/a few parts from you and vice-versa)....if not in person, you'll see it in Excellence I think before the year is out.
Best.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kaizu
Great cars!!

But what is a GT2 with sunroof delete and awd delete? Not a GT2. And the weight of 2850 lbs is nothing special for a completely stock GT2 if my kg->lbs calculations are correct

I'm not a huge fan to call a GT2 conversion or what ever it is a GT2 (at least the reg plate is too much...)

I know these kinds of fast GT2-bodykitted cars and they are great, I adore them. But to call them GT2...Naah.

I hope no one thinks this post too negatively: I know nothing about that car and I'm sure it is modded to the maximum and faster than everything etc...And it looks fantastic!

But if you did not get my point:

How would you feel if you see '996 GT3 pictures' where there is a 996 Carrera with a supercharger, GT3 aero parts, a GT3 rear badge and a '996 GT3' reg plate? I think that would be similar stuff as shown here.

Don't want to come off as a Porsche purist but just my 2 cents!

EDIT: If there is no real street GT2's in the US that is more acceptable...but it still is more of a conversion rather than the real deal.
I saw the car during construction and it was more than just bolting on parts.
It was completly disassembled and rebuilt by Andial to GT2 specs with all factory parts. I think it's a far cry from your example. Yes, it is a clone, but a very expensive example without the vin#.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

I think an extensive photoshoot is in order!! I could look at 500 pictures of every piece of that thing!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man...that GT2 is HAWT!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizu
Great cars!!

But what is a GT2 with sunroof delete and awd delete? Not a GT2. And the weight of 2850 lbs is nothing special for a completely stock GT2 if my kg->lbs calculations are correct

I'm not a huge fan to call a GT2 conversion or what ever it is a GT2 (at least the reg plate is too much...)

I know these kinds of fast GT2-bodykitted cars and they are great, I adore them. But to call them GT2...Naah.

I hope no one thinks this post too negatively: I know nothing about that car and I'm sure it is modded to the maximum and faster than everything etc...And it looks fantastic!

But if you did not get my point:

How would you feel if you see '996 GT3 pictures' where there is a 996 Carrera with a supercharger, GT3 aero parts, a GT3 rear badge and a '996 GT3' reg plate? I think that would be similar stuff as shown here.

Don't want to come off as a Porsche purist but just my 2 cents!

EDIT: If there is no real street GT2's in the US that is more acceptable...but it still is more of a conversion rather than the real deal.
Kaizu
I just noticed your post and felt like putting my $0.2 worth in

This 993GT2 conversion cannot be compared to what you describe with a 996GT3, the 993tt engine can simply be made identical to a 993GT2 engine, a 996 engine will never be a GT3 engine !

There is always someone who feels the need to say what you have said and I guess it comes from the use of the "911 GT" badging and the number plate which indicates that the owner believes he has a "real" GT2 ?

Does it really matter at all ? the owner has obviously spent far more money creating this wondrful and very accurate replica so he could easily have just written a cheque and brought an old 993GT2 over to the US but instead has created a unique brand new car which surely by any measure apart from maybe opinions of those real 993GT2 owners (with vested $$ interest) is as good or better than the factory VINed offering ?

I would also challenge you on your assertion that 2850lbs (1292kg) is "nothing special" for a road 993GT2 ! This car has a roll cage also ! - it is incredibly difficult to get a road spec twin turboed 993 down to this DIN weight, this is undoubtably IMO a weight which exemplifies the depth and detail of this conversion....

What is interesting is my car is currently undergoing some surgery and will look even more like a 993 GT2. I have some of the "911 GT" badges in red also and was musing on sticking them on the back just to wind up the sort of people who do get wound up about this sort of thing
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe you could do this and get the car titled for the street.
Originally Posted by TB993tt
he could easily have just written a cheque and brought an old 993GT2 over to the US
Old 07-22-2008, 12:08 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Jochen: STUNNING!!!!!
I have been waiting to see the results of what may be the last Andial conversion on the planet.
Your car is sex in sheet metal. Please get us some more pics.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I don't believe you could do this and get the car titled for the street.
correct, I checked into buying a street GT2 in Europe, it is not possible to import due to EPA/DOT issues.

Quick Reply: A Rare Porsche gathering: 2 Rufs, 993GT2, and a Cayman (Pics)