Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOS ANGELES DISMANTLERS = LA PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 AM
claptrap
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy to take the high road when it's not your family name and business being defamed in a public forum in front of many potential customers. I would be angry too. Sara's vigorous defense is justified.

I've done business with Todd several times. Some transactions have had issues and Todd has made it right for me every time. He's actually made it more than right in an effort to keep me as a customer. And I don't live close to LA.

Is it wise to buy a $23K engine sight unseen? From anyone? I would have gone there to look at it, or alternatively had someone inspect and document it for me.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, but in business, in a public forum like the internet ,you HAVE to take the high road, anything less will never have a happy ending. It's ok to be mad, just don't vent publically.
I agree with you about the engine though.........
C
Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by laporsche

<snip>

I thank those that have stood up for us, it takes guts to retaliate against some rennlist diehards. Who doesn't want to jump on a negative bandwagon and rant about someone else (and you call me agressive). ...

"(and you call me agressive). "

now that, i like.

as an aside, i recently made a new friend in Carlsbad who is VERY happy with LAPD service.
I'll keep an open mind until i visit them.

cheers

Craig
Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had no problem with these guys but I always do a face to face.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He sent the engine to RUF, what do you think they are going to do, look at it and push it into the corner? We sent him a very good engine and he knows it.... since I know the engine came out of a running/driving car, RUF is the one laughing all the way to the bank. I love Mr. RUF and his brand but who pays $17k extra
You guys trash ALL the yards if you look through past posts but we yards are the reasons many many Porsches stay on the roads. We just get your aftermath and help clean up messes you make... I stopped reading Rennlist long ago because it seems like you guys get off throwing mud at everyone else acting like you sit in a perfect bubble
It is not a very good idea to defend your business by insulting potential customers and insinuating that the world's most well-known Porsche tuner is a thief. This is not justified. As my father would say, "what makes you right and the entire world wrong?!"

Even a poster who seems to know you aknowledges that you have not painted yourself in a positive light in this thread. I am not judging you, simply telling you how your actions appear to people who have not dealt with you. As an example, there are plenty of things my friends have done that would make me dislike them had they been strangers, however I forgive them because we have an existing relationship. Should you take this tone with a disatisfied customer who you perceive to be out of line, that's one thing; however, it is not a good idea to have the attitude in this thread be a potential customer's first impression of you.

You have been incredibly deffensive and brought up very personal subjects. I think the issue is that in your mind, LAPD = your family. In the mind of jostein or anybody complaining about LAPD service it is exactly that - a company. I believe you are being defensive because you cannot separate yourself from your company, and take complaints to be personal attacks aimed at your family. It is hard to separate these things in one's mind and responses, but it is unprofessional not to.

I have not made up my mind about LAPD but you have cast it in a negative light through your actions and comments. I believe that you owe Rennlist an apology for attacking the forum members and painting us all with the same brush. If you do appologize I would have the confidence to consider LAPD in my future purchases.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well said Charlie!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyGlenn
Well, this has been a fun read. I am usually skeptical of anyone trashing a company on one of these forums. There are actually three sides of these stories; the customer's, the company’s and the truth. I like to hear the first two then try to figure out the third.

Sara - Your company is developing a very bad reputation problem. And a company's reputation has nothing to do with the truth of any transaction. It is only the perception of the market place.

Had your first post said, "We worked very hard to satisfy this customer but were unable to come to an agreement. We even offered to refund his money if he would return the part." And then followed up with the supporting e-mails you just posted, you would have been looked on favorably by those of us who had no opinion of your business.

Unfortunately for LAPD, you choose to redirect your anger at a few specific customers to everyone on this forum, customer or not. Which I dare say has probably turned off many potential customers. You let your anger get the best of you.

These forums can provide powerful word of mouth advertising if you use them properly.

As for me, I can't say if I will use your business or not. But If I do, I will be cautious.
+1

Wow, what an emotionally charged thread.

I have called LAPD a few times and have received indifferent service and vague answers. I have wanted to buy parts / spend money, but have been really uncomfortable with the vibe on the phone. Perhaps face to face is better (usually is), but I will remain very careful about doing business with LAPD. The tone of Sara's posts has not helped my impression, despite her obvious passion for the company.

I think Rennlist is a very positive community and I really appreciate many of the site sponsors who are professional, and often offer prompt, reliable advice here - and I do business with them as a result.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a NorCal guy, until last week LAPD was just a Porsche salvage yard to me. They have a large online inventory and were (and are) slowly responsive in my experience with them, though I, too, felt that my phone calls were not met with enthusiasm. However, I recently got into a pissing match with them on a parts return.

My last “purchase” was not fully completed (though the additional items were to be sent) and I sent back the portion of the order that was filled. I ended up paying shipping both directions, which I felt was fair. I did not pay a restocking charge.

I was out only the shipping cost, but I fwanted explain to them in person when I got a chance why I was disappointed, which I did last week when I was in SoCal.

My perspective after my visit is that LAPD is the cleanest dismantling operation one could imagine for a salvage yard. It is clearly a family business that I learned was built by Todd (and Sara) from the ground up, with a helpful staff. IMO Todd is a nice guy who busted his *** to build the business from scratch with his wife. Having had an “experience” with LAPD and forming an unsubstantiated opinion about the company, I thought it correct to respond on this thread. FWIW I believe that they are honest, sincere people trying to deal with hundreds (if not thousands) of requests for every imaginable Porsche part from around the world. I suspect that if there is a problem, it is a difficulty with all of the disparate personalities and expectations.

Sara was correct in fiercely defending her company. Certainly those whose expectations were unmet are also correct in forming and posting an opposing opinion. I'd think that "unprofessional" is a term that one typically would not conjure up in respect of a salvage yard, though.

It does LAPD a real disservice for one to conclude that they are not honest or reputable, when in fact they are both. Their inventory is the best available and, bottom line, no one is forced to turn to LAPD. BTW, the business school shots at Sara are off base. As an MBA form a top-ten grad school, “How to Defend Your Business Without Causing Offense, 101” was missing from my curricula, too.

I have no affiliation with LAPD. Just an unbridled respect for nice people who work hard to build a business and who are human with the lapses we all (or most of us) have.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
sonny1
Banned

They SUCK big time, I tried to do business with them the other day, they say that the parts went out, but guess what? they didn't, so I quickly cancelled my order., so I took my business to Oklahoma Foreign, they served my order the same day.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

she has a beautiful turbo s i klike the yellow lining on the wheels great accent, a bunch of other nice rides as well
Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
she has a beautiful turbo s i klike the yellow lining on the wheels great accent, a bunch of other nice rides as well
good enough reason to buy from them then!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

good enough reason to buy from them then!
i never said nor implied this i only made an observation, take a look at her collection very nice indeed i have not done business with this company, and i have a great relationship with the parts supplier at my local dealer so i probably will not be utilizing LA porsche's services
Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
i never said nor implied this i only made an observation, take a look at her collection very nice indeed i have not done business with this company, and i have a great relationship with the parts supplier at my local dealer so i probably will not be utilizing LA porsche's services
oh, my mistake then...
I figured that wasn't an endorsement but the random reply on a thread like this made me laugh.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

oh, my mistake then...
I figured that wasn't an endorsement but the random reply on a thread like this made me laugh.
no worries buddy this thread does need some humor
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a good experience with them recently. I bought the complete rear seat set-up for my car with rear seat delete. They were the only US salvage yard with the set I needed and red rear seat belts.

I spoke to the owner at 2pm pacific. Ordered the set. And 2 hours later received a shipping notice. 3 days later it showed up in excellent condition. One part was missing. I called and it arrived 3 days later.

So, I don't know if my experience was atypical, but I am very satisfied and will use them again.

Quick Reply: LOS ANGELES DISMANTLERS = LA PORSCHE