Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motul 15W50 engine oil. Anyone use this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014 | 02:58 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

^^^. I hear what you are saying, but how am I going to get a bad dme relay some day if I quit yanking on it
Old 04-02-2014 | 04:44 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I am not stating the bad DME's are caused by their repeated removal, just know that most small electronic contacts aren't really designed for that. We do it out of necessity. Just thought it may be usefull to be able to flip a switch which may in turn preserve the relay. As may already be obvious, I tend to over do things.
Old 04-03-2014 | 10:58 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Anyone use this ZDDP oil aditive in their air cooled engines? The ZDDP aditive is suppose to help the anti wear or contact metal to metal under high pressure or working engine condition.

Old 04-03-2014 | 11:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Anyone use this ZDDP oil aditive in their air cooled engines? The ZDDP aditive is suppose to help the anti wear or contact metal to metal under high pressure or working engine condition.

Don't do it! Unnecessary. Use a quality oil like V-Twin, and change every 5,000 miles using OE Porsche oil filters.
Old 04-03-2014 | 11:34 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Going back to what someone said earlier . . . . I think the weight of the oil is critical maybe more critical not just zddp levels. It prevents oil migration in the both the engine where the tolerances are greater because it's air cooled but also the turbos/seals. These are flat tappet engines so in that regard high ZDDP is important.

I'm curious about V-Twin Mobil vs. Brad Penn Driven. I can't find it now but the company that makes/formulated the Driven oils is a giant multinational corp own by Berkshire Hathaway.
Old 04-03-2014 | 11:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by PiB993
I'm curious about V-Twin Mobil vs. Brad Penn Driven. I can't find it now but the company that makes/formulated the Driven oils is a giant multinational corp own by Berkshire Hathaway.
Driven is the brand name of Joe Gibbs oils. They make a product called DT50 for the aircooled Porsches. I think the viscosity is either 15W50 or 20W50.

Here it is:

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/d...ic-15w-50html/
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:07 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Shoot!!!!! I knew I had at least some misinformation. Joe Gibbs - Driven that's the one I was thinking of not Brad Penn!
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:13 PM
Pry
Advanced

Too bad the V-Twin isn't available in my country. What would be the second best option? Liqui Moly, Motul, Valvoline?

Also making its debut is the new Porsche Classic motor oil in 20W-50 and 10W-60 versions; together with the Porsche Development Centre, it was specially developed for air-cooled flat engines, and it offers optimal protection against wear and corrosion. Naturally, it is “Made in Germany.” Starting in mid-April, Porsche Classic motor oil will be available at all global Porsche Centres.
Wonder how good these are. Seems like the 10W60 is made for the 993.
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Pry
Too bad the V-Twin isn't available in my country. What would be the second best option? Liqui Moly, Motul, Valvoline?
Motul 300V 15W50 would be an excellent selection.

Last edited by LexVan; 04-05-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:23 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DiegoR

Here you go......once again the V-twin appears best. According to this it already has high levels of the stuff. Guess b/c its for bikes they can still keep the levels up there.....legally
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mobil_1_Product_Guide(2).pdf (59.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:36 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Don't do it! Unnecessary. Use a quality oil like V-Twin, and change every 5,000 miles using OE Porsche oil filters.

Already switched to V Twin 20w-50 as per recomendation of Kevin and many post regarding this oil here.I guess "excess" is not always good. So if the V Twin has already a good amount of the ZDDP component, then I don't see why add more of it.

Thanks shhhzaammm for the article.
Old 04-04-2014 | 07:32 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Whether you choose to use ZDDP or an Ester based lube as your dry start protection it can not hurt in our motors. As noted ZDDP will eventually disable your catalytic converter. If you have concerns over taking out your cat use Esters to replace the ZDDP. A single cam aircooled is not a flat tappet motor and does not have the same spalling issues as a flat bucket tappet. So ZDDP is not an absolute requirement. M1 Vtwin has never let me down over the all the years and I have had a couple of tear downs to confirm it. There may be better oils but I don't exceed the capabilities of the Vtwin so why change. Our engines don't have variable valve timing or variable valve lift so lower viscosity oils are not required for the hydraulic control circuits. So with respect to warming up and understanding that the hydraulic lifters might take a bit to pump up, 20/50 Vtwin checks all the boxes.
Rick
Old 04-04-2014 | 08:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have never seen the cats in this car get plugged from ZDDP. However , I have seen them get plugged from chronic oil leakers/smokers.. Show me a post or history on any Porsche that has had it's cats plugged from ZDDP. The levels of ZDDP were almost double what we have now, vs when the car was new and 10 years after that.

Be careful when switching oils, make sure that you have a full synthetic and not a dino oil..
Old 04-04-2014 | 10:36 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

I switched From EDGE 10w-60 full syn. to The Mobil V Twin 20w-50 but I bought double amount to "clean" the previous oil and the changed the oil again after some minnor use to get pure V Twin 20w-50 in all the system.

Guess I will leave alone the new oil and don't throw anything else in it.
Old 04-04-2014 | 10:53 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Kevin, if your reply was in response to my post, note that I said that ZDDP disables the cat not plugs it. The zinc contaminates the platinum and reduces it's effectiveness. It happens at different levels but it does happen. I work in powertrain engineering for the auto industry and we have been testing this for years. The engine side hates the removal of ZDDP but the life cycle of the pollution control system is effected by it so it's removal or at least ppm reduction is mandated. We also do a lot of lube life span testing. On certain engine components the lower (almost eliminated) levels of ZDDP created rapid start up wear. Esters whether added or as a group 5 basestock take the place of ZDDP but are a lot more expensive for an industry where cost is king. Many of the flat tappets are going to DLC coatings to offset the spalling. The coating that Schaeffler uses on the upgraded flat tappets for Porsche watercoolers is instantly compromised by the slightest presence of Moly in the oil. Message here is research before you put anything out of factory spec in your motor.
Rick

Quick Reply: Motul 15W50 engine oil. Anyone use this?