Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who do fearn use for mapping?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

No idea? Thought they did it themselves but would like to know if anyone has the info
Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
No idea? Thought they did it themselves but would like to know if anyone has the info
Jon, mapping Motronic on turbos is THE most important thing on your engine with plenty of people able to upload a file/resolder a chip and a handful (worldwide) being able to write the correct codes (ie "tune") correctly....
Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The stock fuel pumps will be fine and you'll long run out of injector (with the stock orange 44lb/hr) before you run out of fuel delivery capability. Interesting project. I believe the switch from hydraulic is necessary based on the acceleration ramps of a performance camshaft, not so much the RPM since a turbo air cooled engine with performance camshafts is done by 7k anyway. It takes a good bit of work on the intake, exhaust, heads and selection of camshaft to make power above 7k.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

What would you suggest Toby? Knowing the mods on my engine would you think one of the cargraphic ECU's would plug and play?

Geoffery, thank you for the info, i was hoping you would chip in! Can i ask another favor, from looking at the elbow on the oil line going out of my stock oil cooler to the front cooler, does it look restrictive? This was the biggest one they had, all the other fittings are 22mm but i'm just a bit concerned about that bit, what capacity and flow does that need to deal with and do you think it could pose a problem? I know it's difficult to say without knowing the internal diameter but what would your educated guess be? Thanks again
Old 04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
What would you suggest Toby? Knowing the mods on my engine would you think one of the cargraphic ECU's would plug and play?
Your turbos and cams are a bit of an unknown so ?

If Fearnsport use the same guy as did Graeme's GT2 (remember that thread ) then I would guess you will be OK but pinch of salt dyno numbers. Real power can be pretty accurately guestimated from some acceleration data logs at Brunters

Edit: if you get any input to the mapper you want to ask for lower boost rather than higher - I would aim for 1.1bar @4500rpm 0.90 bar @5750rpm then maybe 1 bar near 6500rpm - you need to confirm the real boost under load in higher gears on the road......
Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Are you keeping the engine mounted oil cooler from the 930? Is that what you are talking about?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Hi Geoffery, i'm not sure which oil cooler you're talking about, all I know about is there is a stock cooler in the right hand side front wheel well, we've kept this and added a Setrab cooler in place of the front AC condenser/rad.
What i am worried about is the elbow off the front (standard) cooler to the new front cooler, not sure if the last pic came out but here it is again, with some other pics if the new cooler.
What I want to know is do you think it looks restrictive? All/any advice will bo appreciated, cheers

JBL

Old 04-18-2008, 04:14 AM
MOD500
Racer

Look forward to seeing it go on the airfield Jon
Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by MOD500
Look forward to seeing it go on the airfield Jon
I can't wait either Martyn, my main concern will be stopping with no ABS, you're at the next VMax i assume?

Toby, thanks for the advice on what boost and where it should come in, i'll definitely talk to them and ask what they are planning for it and tell them what i'm expecting to see. I'll take it straight to the GForce dyno where Graeme took his to get some data, I know it's not worth a toss really but it's something for comparison. I have one of those Andial clock boost gauges in the car so i'll keep and eye on boost and where it comes in on the road.

Geoffery, I had a bit to drink last night and probably didn't explain myself very well, all i was asking was does the 90-degree elbow in the top picture above look restrictive? And do you know how much volume it needs to deal with at WOT, I just don't want to have oil starvation issues, I may be worrying over nothing but it's playing on my mind a bit.

I PICK IT UP TODAY PEOPLE! Ok I'm only driving it 100miles or so with a stock ECU but I get to drive it
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Do you think the exhaust tips look a bit much, or is it OK?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You'll have more restriction from the forged elbows than the pipe bent elbows. It looks like you are using line about equal to -12A/N. I have always used -16A/N, however I have seen many -12 installations without issue. I'd try it and don't think you'll have an issue.

Ditch the second tips, to me, they look ackward on the 930 body.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Cheers Geoffrey, i guess i'm just being over cautious. I agree with the comment on the tips, they don't look right, and the sound with no cats and no mufflers is awful, i don't mind a noisy car but this is silly loud.

It's running nice and smooth but i'm only seeing boost to about 0.4bar, the gauge is getting it's signal from the intercooler i believe so it's before the throttle body, should it be from the manifold?

Here is a clip of what it sounds like, it's WAY louder in person

Motorboat

Anyway, I dropped it up at Silverstone with Andy Fearns, he assures me it'll be fine, he mentioned that he has a couple of German guys that do his tuning so that is encouraging, hopefully I'll have it back in a week or two, Oh and it's having some high flow cats put in to try and muffle the noise! Now i need to exercise some patience
Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

They look like they really stepped the hose diameter down. Look at the factory piping (hard piping vs you steel plated fitting). You also might want to consider placing a second oil cooler in your left fender. You can modify your windshield bottle or install a 993RS bottle. You never have enough cooling available for these engines.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by Kevin
They look like they really stepped the hose diameter down. Look at the factory piping (hard piping vs you steel plated fitting). You also might want to consider placing a second oil cooler in your left fender. You can modify your windshield bottle or install a 993RS bottle. You never have enough cooling available for these engines.

I didn't think of that, we did think of adding a second cooler in the left wheel well but i thought i'd have to loose the washer bottle all together and only rely on the intense washer, which didn't sound like a good idea to me, the RS bottle would be a great idea, I'll see what they think of the current installation and offer this as an alternative if it isn't up to the job, cheers Kevin

Quick Reply: Help with 993tt engine install into a 930