Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frankenstein's monster is alive

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007 | 04:25 PM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by TB993tt
..We are doing some accleration at the airfield (weather permitting) next Saturday so I should be able to feel how good/bad the front end is at higher speeds..
I think that this new front spoiler doesn't give any advantage for high speeds because it has so huge holes at front.
When trying to go very fast, front spoilers of many cars are taped for minimum amount of air holes (and Cd), like that world fastest car on ice (recorder in Finland btw )
see pic:
the car that goes fast on ice
and see vid:
over 200mph on ice

Toby: little more offtopic, do you know that company or guy, what I wrote about that Carbon Roof topic. That guy lives in UK and has special CF Porsche..
Old 12-09-2007 | 05:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

TB- I applaud the effort and don't mind the immediate front as much as I feel the design language of the GT fender flares contradicts the inward cuts of the 997 bumper adjacent to the fender/wheel wells. if there was a wider section to cover up the offset of the front wheels, that would be cool- but my favorite looks for the 993 are in no particular order:

turbo s chin spoiler , with techart or like-wise brake duct holes
gt2 front spoiler lip with wing things (jjayb's car has this) and brake duct holes
Ruf front bumper with additional custom front rubber extension (someone has this on their yellow ctr2)

cheers for the effort, but I vote for your old look! you have a beautiful and unique beast.
Old 12-12-2007 | 12:29 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The front tire exposure looks similar to my stock front end with 235 tires. Your inner fender problem certainly would cause lift, as the wheelwell would have some serious pressure build up at speed.
Old 12-12-2007 | 02:16 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
The front tire exposure looks similar to my stock front end with 235 tires.
OK, thanks for that...
Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Your inner fender problem certainly would cause lift, as the wheelwell would have some serious pressure build up at speed.
Yes I think you are dead right ! Hopefully going to do some high speed acceleration testing on Saturday at the airstrip to determine what this spoiler performs like at up to 180mph.....
Wheel arch wells are sealed, new SO2 N2 PPs are on @ 38/46PSI, PSS9s on full stiff at the back and hopefully a new engine undertray will be on tomorrow
Old 12-12-2007 | 03:22 PM
Jussi
Pro

..a new engine undertray will be on tomorrow
What kind of undertray you will have?

I have to also manufacture new undertray because Fabspeed headers were so low quality that I can't use original tray. Maybe I'll do own version from aluminium..
Old 12-12-2007 | 03:58 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jussi
What kind of undertray you will have?

I have to also manufacture new undertray because Fabspeed headers were so low quality that I can't use original tray. Maybe I'll do own version from aluminium..
Just the stock one - I read all the stuff on here and elsewhere and am pretty sure that for speeds over 200kph it is beneficial in the undercar airflow...... There were some patents filed by Porsche when the 993 was developed and it seems that getting a combination of flat under engine / box and maintaining proper cooling using available airstreams was a pretty tricky business and one which Porsche took very seriously....
Old 12-12-2007 | 06:00 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Just the stock one - I read all the stuff on here and elsewhere and am pretty sure that for speeds over 200kph it is beneficial in the undercar airflow...... There were some patents filed by Porsche when the 993 was developed and it seems that getting a combination of flat under engine / box and maintaining proper cooling using available airstreams was a pretty tricky business and one which Porsche took very seriously....
So, if I'm converting properly (and understanding properly), at speeds in excess of about 125 mph you're better off keeping the tray on? And by "better" I mean even though it weighs a couple of keys and contains heat a bit more than not having one on? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-12-2007 | 06:07 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Somewhere in the 993/tt shop manuals it very emphatically states that the car should not be road tested above x mph without the engine cover in place. I think x is 90 mph.
Old 12-13-2007 | 05:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
So, if I'm converting properly (and understanding properly), at speeds in excess of about 125 mph you're better off keeping the tray on? And by "better" I mean even though it weighs a couple of keys and contains heat a bit more than not having one on? Enquiring minds want to know.
That is my conclusion however quantifying and "feeling" any difference at 125mpn with or without tray is another matter since it is so dependant on many other factors including: road surface, smoothness of road, suspension settings, tyre pressures, tyres sizes, spoilers/wings, how much torque you are putting down, cross winds.....

Containing the heat is not something I will worry about, "if" it causes premature valve guide wear then I will just get it fixed when and if it happens - with my engine it will doubtlessly be out for a rebuild of other wearing parts before that happens anyway
Originally Posted by Phelix
Somewhere in the 993/tt shop manuals it very emphatically states that the car should not be road tested above x mph without the engine cover in place. I think x is 90 mph.
90mph seems very slow doesn't it ?
Old 12-13-2007 | 03:32 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

90mph seems very slow doesn't it ?
Found it - it's in the maintenance section of the first volume of the 993tt manual set at the end where it suggests road testing the car without the undertray to help find leaks. In bold it states not to exceed 95 mph.
Old 12-13-2007 | 04:02 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

OK ... so that's *really* interesting news. Poll time - how many are NOT running with an "undertray intacto" in excess of this speed?
Old 12-13-2007 | 04:34 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
Found it - it's in the maintenance section of the first volume of the 993tt manual set at the end where it suggests road testing the car without the undertray to help find leaks. In bold it states not to exceed 95 mph.
Thanks for taking the time to dig that out

What is funny is the countless threads on the 993 section with claims and counter claims with those advocating the tray/cover is there for swiis noise regs "because a Porsche rep/eng/tech told me so" -If it is stated in the manual as above then that is proof enough for me
Tray is on and the car felt oh so stable on the way home at 110mph
Old 12-13-2007 | 04:42 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thanks for taking the time to dig that out

What is funny is the countless threads on the 993 section with claims and counter claims with those advocating the tray/cover is there for swiis noise regs "because a Porsche rep/eng/tech told me so" -If it is stated in the manual as above then that is proof enough for me
Tray is on and the car felt oh so stable on the way home at 110mph
No worries. On Saturday I hope to play around with my wastegate adjustments and will bring a set of low profile ramps. You can then try the car with and without tray back to back. I can even take the tray off for you (or not) to make it a "blind" test.
Old 12-13-2007 | 04:44 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Originally Posted by phelix
No worries. On Saturday I hope to play around with my wastegate adjustments and will bring a set of low profile ramps. You can then try the car with and without tray back to back. I can even take the tray off for you (or not) to make it a "blind" test.

And I will be pacing up and down awaiting the results. My car is READY!
Old 12-13-2007 | 06:18 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jussi
I think that this new front spoiler doesn't give any advantage for high speeds because it has so huge holes at front.
When trying to go very fast, front spoilers of many cars are taped for minimum amount of air holes (and Cd), like that world fastest car on ice (recorder in Finland btw )
see pic:
the car that goes fast on ice
and see vid:
over 200mph on ice
Yeah, but Juha ( Kankkunen, the driver ) had told after the run that the car felt like ist was contacting the ice by just the tips of the studs... I heard this from Harri Toivonen ( late Henri Toivonen's brother, does driver's ed with Juha ), I happened to be at local Porsche dealer at the same time. Harri has a nice 997.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein's monster is alive