Sponsored by:

bit the bullit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default bit the bullit

I finally ordered kevin's stage 2 today, I am sure i'll upgrade to stage 3 within a year or so but this is a good start. anyone would like to post their experiences with it, i am sure you understand i can't sleep at night with excitement, I can't wait. Anyone's thoughts appreciated, by the way i will have an almost new set of K24s and FVD 100 cell cats for sale soon as well as a cargraphic intercooler, i'd sell the whole set for a reasonable price, i'll even throw in a pair of bypass pipes for any takers

all the best

Sebastian
Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Chris L/FL
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Should be sweet! I'm over in Naples if you ever want to get together and hit a track event.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

absolutely chris that would be exciting!! any events somewhere in between?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Keep us posted on the install. BTW, what made you decide on the Stage 2 over your current set-up? Assuming your soon to be for sale parts is your current set-up. Also, did you do a ECU upgrade with the K24/100 cell cats/intercooler.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm interested in the K24's.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

What's going rate for k24s...OE w/low miles?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What made you decide to change? IIRC wasn't your car running 490 or so bhp?
I'm also itching to pull the trigger on the stage 2 kit
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Chris L/FL
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
absolutely chris that would be exciting!! any events somewhere in between?

I'll pm you with some upcoming events.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sebastian, this project sounds very interesting indeed, especially since I have been considering the same package for my tt. I assume you are referring to the whole UMW kit of K16/26 ZC turbos, 100 cell cats and matched ECU. A couple of questions come to mind:
1. I know that Gunther Mandl did the mapping work for the Stage 1 ECU. Do you know if this was also the case for the stage 2 ECU?
2. What did you consider were the inadequacies fo you K24 based prior upgrade and as a corollary, what is it that you are looking for from the UMW Stage 2 setup?
3. I know that you have previously installed an auxillary oil cooler, but what are your plans with respect to the clutch given the significant increase in torque that the new package will provide?

I will be watching for more updates as your project unfolds. I am yet to see any preformance data on this upgrade other that an impressive 1/4 mile time and trap speed. The 60-130mph thread doesn't seem to have any relevant data that I could see. Plenty on the 996 platform ie KPG, but not for the 993.

All the best - I'm sure it will delivers the goods!

Malcolm
Old 04-24-2007, 02:07 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I'd also be very interested in the why's and wherefore's.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

i purchased the car in 12/2005 at which point i tok it to Jose from turbowerks in oakland park florida to do some modifications, i purchased a set or borg warner k24s from a gentleman on ebay here in ft lauderdale, Jose then had my ECU upgraded to stage 2 from FVD and purchased a set of 100 cell cats from then we also installed a front oil cooler and the car came with the FVD IC. The first time i got my DME back from FVD it was making the car run lean and was cutting out on the high end, so we sent it to them again and it still seemed to run lean. My Tech apologized to me and told me we should send it out somewhere else, Since then i do not go back to this guy and he works for the porsche cup team now anyways and does not work on street cars anymore. i hooked up with a tech here in miami who i like and he advised me to try EVO, he uses them for all his tuning kits, of course he doesn't primarily work on 993tt but rather 996tt since there is one on every corner here in miami and i am basically the only guy with a 993. So we sent the ECU to Evo and $3500 later the car is running hard and nice but i feel there should be more from it. I raced a 996tt with a stage 2 setup from FVD last weekend who supposedly has 520-530 hp and he pulled away from me, to avoid anyone telling me to upgrade to a 996 which i would hate to do since i love my 993 so much, i figured its time to purache a complete tuning kit from a reputable vendor, i switched my IC to the stock unit, and i still have my stock k16 turbos and factory 400 cell cats. So I called Kevin and he took my call on sunday and told me that he was having a pleasant breakfast with his family until I told him my story and he almost lost it, needless to say he has heard my sob story before and felt bad for me. So now i am going with a complete tuning package and i want the best, i would almost do the stage 3 but it requires disassembly of the engine which i would rather do when the time comes to do the valve guides, the car runs perfect and doesn't smoke so my tech told me its not necessary at this point, but being as **** i am about the perfection of my car had he told me to do it i probably would have bitten the bullit and doen the stage 3 and become the king of the hill. For now stage 2 so we sent the ecu cats and k16 tturbos to kevin for his service and i can't wait to get them back. As for the clutch i am sticking with the one i have now until i burn it out or deem it inadequate for the power of the car, at which point i ll probably spend the additional $ for a new one from kevin and whatever it costs my tech to install it. Mioral of the story my loss is your gain, do it right the first time, i am hoping Kevin's setup is the final word in the modifications to my car as this has been a long expensive test and tune road for me. Now you all have my life story with my 993tt. My k24s only have 7k miles on them, i figured i'd be better of selling those than my k16s as they will have a higher demand.

All comments welcome

best regards

Sebastian in miami waiting patiently for my umw stage 2
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You really really really should get some sort of accurate 60-130 tests done so that you can baseline your K24-based car against the stage 2 set-up. Is there still an AX22 making the rounds in the US?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sebastian, thanks for the "open book" in your experience to date. I can imagine your frustration. All my reading on this forum to date suggests that your current strategy (buying a complete kit from a single well respected supplier) is the way to go. From what I hear, the after sales support will also be there should you need it. I do hope you can hook up with someone with an AX22 or driftbox and get some "hard" performance numbers - when the time comes. Again, good luck with the upgrade.

On the wider front, does anyone know who did the mapping for the ECU on this stage 2 kit?

Malcolm
Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

send kevin a pm and he'll tell you everything, besides after speaking with him and hearing of his knowledge i feel confident i have made the right choice i forgot to mention the $ i spent on new billstein coilovers, all new j l audio sound system (speakers, components and amp)with cd player xm radio and high def radio with an ipod connector that goes in the glove box,with a universal remote that controls everything all aluminum kit in car including 3 spoke steering wheel with partial aluminum trim, aluminum shift know emergency brake race pedals and aluminum ***** and guage rings, aluminum turbo kick sills, i just got new tires on the rear 315 25 19 what else the list is endless, with all the $ i have spent on my car i could have a 997tt, but its bad to think that way all i can say is that my car is absolutely perfect with nothing wrong with it except for the 65k miles it has but if you ask stevew with rufus that is barely a break in. With a ll i have in it i can never sell it its worth too much to me especially know with this upgrade i ll be making
Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Gunter did the programming for my Stage 2 993TT in the US..

Quick Reply: bit the bullit