Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bit the bullit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the programming, Kevin.
Sebastian, your car is going to be one very special machine.
All of those modifications listed in your rennlist signature is going to take up some room on your posts I'll be here waiting for more news
Cheers.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

Hi Mal,

I am watching this thread with interest also.

I would like to see some Dyno Sheets for the Stage 2's - maybe we can do a group buy?? I know of at least 2 others that would be interested.

Also - I would love to see Robbos dyno sheets from Fitzy and compare them.... When we finally meet up in Sydney - i would be interested to see how my butt dyno copes....

Now all i need is the wallet to fund all of these upgrades..... (or as I say to my wife - Safety enhancements)

best,

Simon.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

Sebastian.....your car is a dream.....I love the color and with the upgrades.....whoooooah!!!!!!!

Hi Mal....Grant here....nice to meet you.

Simon.......Im in on the group buy but I would also prefer to use your new found wallet to fund them!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:55 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Simon, I suspect there are quite a number of interested parties just waiting for some data. For me, the power increase would have to be balanced by the drivability, as my tt's role is as a daily driver in city traffic (sadly, most of the time). My attraction to both the UMW StageI and 2 packages, is what appears to be in the focus on the area under the curve with ealry progressive boost which should be very applicable to my needs, rather than boost up at the high end. So, I am very grateful that Sebastian is prepared to share so openly, for everyone's benefit.

Malcolm.

PS Brisbane is about as "close" to Florida as Australia gets.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Crazy
Hi Mal,

I am watching this thread with interest also.

I would like to see some Dyno Sheets for the Stage 2's - maybe we can do a group buy?? I know of at least 2 others that would be interested.

Also - I would love to see Robbos dyno sheets from Fitzy and compare them....
Simon.
Problem you have is the dyno sheets will not be comparable, UMW 993 packages were done (at least stage 1, presume stage 2 also ?) on a MAHA chassis dyno with the rear bumper removed to stop it from melting as the engine was mapped under load with a large amount of heat soak, which is not the same as a run done on a.n.other chassis dyno with a 10 second sweep.

The readings originally quoted for the "Fitzy" engine of 580hp and 550hp from K16s (hybrids or not) already show that the numbers are up the wall (in comparison )

K16s will give you no more than 515 real Porsche style hp on a built engine.

The only way to attempt to compare is to do the old 60-130mph with an AX or DB, but if one wants to use the car on the track (getting really hot) then the UMW engine should have even more advantage due to its mapping
Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boost Crazy
maybe we can do a group buy?? I know of at least 2 others that would be interested.
I inquired of Kevin on his Stage 2 for a possible winter project this pass Nov/Dec. As usually, something always comes up for me. But if a group buy is possible, I certainly would join in.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

You just have to do it and not think about it, ultimately doing it adds more value to your car if you ever decide to resale almost like sending it to ruf, but kevin is a pleasure to deal with and not as costly
Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pieces comprise the Stage 2 kit? I know the Stage 1 kit, but do not know the details of Stage 2. What is the estimated hp with this kit?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

The Stage 2 kit consists of ECU tuning, my Stage 2 Zero Clearance turbochargers and 130mm Cat conversion, with a 5bar FPR installed.

The output of this kit is dependant on fuel grade and the general conditions of you engine.. MAF, plugs, plug wires, bypass valves, boost hoses, hoses, cap and rotor..

The output of this kit will range between 480-520HP race sustained HP..

If your engine has 85K on the clock... With no internals or head work.. I strongly suggest that you pass on this kit..
Old 04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

this is good because i already have a 5 bar fpr installed and all the other stuff you mentioned is all new maf plugs wires hoses etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

TB,

I agree totally WRT the claims by Fitzy and K16's (but am trying to be nice to a guy I haven't met yet.... ) I am not really interested in the peak numbers - but rather the shape (fatness ) of the torque curve....

The reference to a comparison of numbers, unless they are done @ the same time - they are really useless.....

The comment about heat soak is one I am VERY interested in as the weather over here (unlike the 'ol blighty) is conducive to heat soak. The fuel we run is 98RON and we can actually get 100RON form the pump in some places too.

Simon.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:21 PM
red993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
i purchased the car in 12/2005 at which point i tok it to Jose from turbowerks in oakland park florida to do some modifications, i purchased a set or borg warner k24s from a gentleman on ebay here in ft lauderdale, Jose then had my ECU upgraded to stage 2 from FVD and purchased a set of 100 cell cats from then we also installed a front oil cooler and the car came with the FVD IC. The first time i got my DME back from FVD it was making the car run lean and was cutting out on the high end, so we sent it to them again and it still seemed to run lean. My Tech apologized to me and told me we should send it out somewhere else, Since then i do not go back to this guy and he works for the porsche cup team now anyways and does not work on street cars anymore. i hooked up with a tech here in miami who i like and he advised me to try EVO, he uses them for all his tuning kits, of course he doesn't primarily work on 993tt but rather 996tt since there is one on every corner here in miami and i am basically the only guy with a 993. So we sent the ECU to Evo and $3500 later the car is running hard and nice but i feel there should be more from it. I raced a 996tt with a stage 2 setup from FVD last weekend who supposedly has 520-530 hp and he pulled away from me, to avoid anyone telling me to upgrade to a 996 which i would hate to do since i love my 993 so much, i figured its time to purache a complete tuning kit from a reputable vendor, i switched my IC to the stock unit, and i still have my stock k16 turbos and factory 400 cell cats. So I called Kevin and he took my call on sunday and told me that he was having a pleasant breakfast with his family until I told him my story and he almost lost it, needless to say he has heard my sob story before and felt bad for me. So now i am going with a complete tuning package and i want the best, i would almost do the stage 3 but it requires disassembly of the engine which i would rather do when the time comes to do the valve guides, the car runs perfect and doesn't smoke so my tech told me its not necessary at this point, but being as **** i am about the perfection of my car had he told me to do it i probably would have bitten the bullit and doen the stage 3 and become the king of the hill. For now stage 2 so we sent the ecu cats and k16 tturbos to kevin for his service and i can't wait to get them back. As for the clutch i am sticking with the one i have now until i burn it out or deem it inadequate for the power of the car, at which point i ll probably spend the additional $ for a new one from kevin and whatever it costs my tech to install it. Mioral of the story my loss is your gain, do it right the first time, i am hoping Kevin's setup is the final word in the modifications to my car as this has been a long expensive test and tune road for me. Now you all have my life story with my 993tt. My k24s only have 7k miles on them, i figured i'd be better of selling those than my k16s as they will have a higher demand.

All comments welcome

best regards

Sebastian in miami waiting patiently for my umw stage 2

You're defintely in good hands w/ Kevin. Your 993TT history still very short compare to most of ours on here. Hang in there .
Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

red 993tt the history i posted is only part of it i left out a lot but i fell like i am almost there to have a well sorted tt
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm upgrading from a sachs pressure plate I got from Kevin to an even stronger one. Lemme know if you'd be interested in installing it while you have the car in the shop...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

wouldn't it make sense to wait and do the whole clutch and flywheel, besides the car is not in the shop its not even disabled, i have an extra ecu, original k16 turbos and original 400 cell cats , all are on the way to kevin when i get the parts back or when my tech gets them back i ll take it to him and he ll do the install and we ll be done with it, but i am sure something else will come along, that will need to be done and i am sure the clutch is not far off

Quick Reply: bit the bullit