Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchable ecu programs for 993tt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Switchable ecu programs for 993tt?

I know Kevin has this for 996tt, but what about the 993tt? Or if not Kevin, does anyone else offer this?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that these thiings are not flashable they are socketed. Therefore to change programs you need to swap the brain box.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

that was mine too, but I have heard rumors of this being available for 993tt??
Old 03-23-2007, 06:26 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

kevin does somthing with the 96 model yealr ECUs. I know they are different in some way. shoot him ab email
Old 03-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

There might be some truth about that rumor
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM
red993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg
This is what his Pocket Programmer looks like on the GT2.

Vincent
Old 03-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Ahh, Kevin is this the 'new tuning alternative' or something like that for our cars - that you mentioned / teased us about in a post a while back? If so, Great! I just changed my MAF recently and did the plugs today in anticipation of more go good goodies in the near future!
Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Kevin, pm sent
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,394 Likes on 640 Posts

I've got 2 different ecu's but not a switchable 2 program ecu
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Any ECU from Kevin is excellent. It runs great a .8 or at 1.1. However gas is always an issues especially here in Cali....and you may not have the octane in the tank all the time to enjoy the 1.1. A simple boost controler...which to Kevin I know is a big "no-no", but I think that's because people crank them way up and run 1.3-1.5 for fun and smoke their motor...but used sensibly as a "fuel program" only, I think its a great alternative. You an set a .8 program and a 1.2 or 1.1 program. You can also dial in the "gain" or how the boost comes on if you want. But used in this fashion, you still get all the benefits of Kevins great ECU and can have two seperate fuel programs. Kevin may not agree w/that, but I've seen it used that way by a few people here and it seems to be a viable alternative to having two separate ECUs being popped in and out on these old systems. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:57 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I've got one. It's a Theilert developed for the GT2 race cars and I switch form pump gas to race gas program.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 AM
kennyboy
Instructor

A boost controller means fixed boost though doesn't it - i.e. lose motronic control...

Perhaps even better is a true map switcher as the first thread suggested - still a switch but not analogue, it has 3 or 4 settings and moves between 3 or 4 motronic maps....from 0.8 bar up to whatever.

This could be used in the same way for poor or better gas.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

I was very interested in this solution sometime back when I was struggling with getting the best optimized program for my intended usage…This is something every one of us, owning a dual purpose street/track car, would like to have.

I would say that there are two ways of doing this on a Motronic based car, and you also have the option to go for a different solution with an aftermarket ECU such as Motec, Thielert etc..

Some European (and US, such as Autothority) tuners had already done this many years ago, by having a device (sub $100) that takes two chips (or three or four) and links them to the DME box and then you have a simple switch on the dashboard that would let you choose between programs.

A friend of mine with a Manthey 993TT has this setup since the late 90’s. It works flawlessly until today. So when he has race fuel, he switches to kill mode (500+HP), and when he is on pump fuel, he switches to another milder tune. I found a couple of suppliers during my search but never ended up buying the device. This is a great option and inexpensive solution that gives you flexibility to use the programs of the tuner of your choice rather than being limited to one tuner...

Another more modern solution is the device that has an interface, memory and a processor all in one little pocket sized plastic unit, that would alter the data in your engine controller through the OBDII port, which is I believe what Kevin and his supplier have more or less. I also heard of another tuner having somewhat similar devices who might be working on such a project for our Porsche cars.

Let's hope we see them in the market soon!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyboy
A boost controller means fixed boost though doesn't it - i.e. lose motronic control...
Kenny, different boost setups can be achieved simply with a boost controller as you said. This is far from being an optimum solution.

You can have your tuner program two different chips ($10 per piece cost of the blank chip) for your car on the dyno and then simply pin them into the device (read Manthey solution above) that takes two chips linked to your ECU box, with a switch on the dashboard. The programs can be Motronic boost controlled or not regardless, it depends on your tuner.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 AM
kennyboy
Instructor

Yeah that's what I meant Jean - personnaly I wouldn't want fixed boost on my car, whether it was controlled by me in the cabin or not.

The multi motronic map/chip solution would be great - not so much for fuel in my case as the UK has high octane all over the country....more for different uses like you said earlier - street, track etc.

I love how the standard 408bhp car puts its power down - even in the wet, the power doesn't dominate the car like a higher boost RS tuning chip I had for a while. For me personally - it would be great to switch between a say a motronic 408 and something higher for the track or when it's dry.

Quick Reply: Switchable ecu programs for 993tt?