San Francisco PPI

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Question San Francisco PPI

Good Day All!

I am looking at a 97 993tt for sale in San Francisco. The owner has agreed to a PPI, but wants to have it performed close to his home which is in the Marina District of the city.

Are there any personal recommendations for a "near-by" shop that can perform a thorough PPI? I've seen the recommendations for the lower Peninsula and South Bay, but nothing within SF.

Once I purchase a car, I will be looking for a trusted wrench in either the South Bay (I work in south San Jose) or Monterey Bay areas (Home, sweet Home).

Thanks for any and all help, advice, etc. I've been faithfully reading the forums for a while now and am excited about all the info available from this network, although not as excited as the thought of finally owning the 993tt!

Regards,

Steve C
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In South San Francisco off I-280 is Junipero Serra Auto Repair. They do lots of Porsches. Jimmie, the owner there, had a 993TT himself so he knows what to look for on these cars..
Old 02-23-2007, 09:30 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

The only Porsche repair shops I know in SF are The Stable and Cars Dawydiak. I've never had any maintenance done at either. I've heard mixed reviews on The Stable, but it's all been second hand. Dawydiak is mostly a body shop and consignment shop. Personally I would not use either of them for a PPI on a 993TT.

There's a number of shops in the San Jose / South Bay area. Now that Bob has left the Bay Area, I use Real Mean Garage (RMG) in Sunnyvale (They did the PPI on my car last year). I've heard good things about Heyer Performance and Don's AutoWerks.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your seller is willing to go as far as Sunnyvale, then Bobby at RMG is the place. If you're willing to go to Sunnyvale after the purchase for regular service, the same applies ... in spades.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 AM
GoldenBear
Intermediate

I had my 60k service done at The Stable. The car started smoking on startup right afterward and I was told that was "normal". I took it to a different shop, they fixed the oil filter and the smoking went away. Just one man's experience with The Stable.
Kevin
Old 02-25-2007, 02:18 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I did follow-up on Viperbob's suggestion and talked to Jimmie at Junipero Serra. Jimmie had seen the car in town and talked to the owner, so he had a little to say about it. I took a look at the car yesterday - it's in pretty good condition overall - needs a driver's door seal and the paint on the nose has a bunch of micro-cracks, but otherwise looks nice. The owner wasn't keen on taking the car up to Junipero Serra, but was familiar with The Stable as they are just a few blocks away. I had a number of guys on the 993 board give good reviews to The Stable, so I may be "somewhat stuck" with going there if I really want to pursue this car. However (there's always a however, isn't there?) another car that I expressed interest on has become "re-available" and I think that it may be my #1 - I'm hoping to have a look/see on it this week. At that point, I'll need a PPI reccomendation for West LA.

Thanks for the recommendation for RMG - once I purchase a car, I could see myself getting the car up to the Valley for service needs (although it's a bit of a drive from home, living about half-way between Santa Cruz and Monterey).

Regards,

Steve C.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:39 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caronsd
Thanks for the recommendation for RMG - once I purchase a car, I could see myself getting the car up to the Valley for service needs (although it's a bit of a drive from home, living about half-way between Santa Cruz and Monterey).
At least take a look at their website: www.realmeangarage.com. Stupid name but usually has useful info on it. RMG is the original owner's initials.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:43 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That says something if the owner is not willing to go 15 -20 minutes to get his car PPI'd for a potential buyer....
Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 AM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts

agree with Viper

my turbo has 191K miles now

not better shop around than RMG...Bob is the best
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

rector porsche in burlingame ask for paul medina.

Quick Reply: San Francisco PPI