Sponsored by:

Help with 993 Turbo S question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006 | 09:59 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Smile Help with 993 Turbo S question

Ok,

Trivia buffs will love this, but I need help. I have a 97 twin turbo S , that the original wheels were damaged by an acid wheel cleaner and a dumbass detailer by the previous owner. So the previous owner replaced the special silver finish wheels with factory chromed hollow spokes.

Although the chrome is nice(maybe ,maybe not) I would like to have these wheels stripped and refinished with the special silver finish on the Turbo S wheels..

The turbo S wheels were powder coated originally but there is a color code just like for any other part of the car. I need that code..

So before we take 20 thousand posts to discuss this, yes I can buy a set of original wheels, but at 5k , I will keep the chromes.

Yes, I emailed John Paterak with PCA and he confirmed that they were originally powder coated but he has not provided the color code.

Yes, I called Porsche North America and the customer service dept was of know help..

So , thanks to a good Porsche friend we have another option working , but for kicks I thought I would put the question out to Porsche Gods on Rennlist to see who might have the secret code.......

So which one of you is the Tom Hanks of the group with the Secret to making the Twin Turbo S all original again.....

Thanks and let the fun begin
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2006 | 07:35 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Jsandak,

Thanks for the offer, but unless you are basically giving them away, I will pass. I could use them to match the color, otherwise, what i have are factory wheels. I would still need to refinish them, but i would have the code.

Please email me pics and price expectation to shaynes@johnrwood.com
Old 06-03-2006 | 07:50 PM
Steven_H
Pro

I also have a Turbo S. My wheels have a couple of places I wanted to have refinished. I spoke to John Paterek and to Harvey Weidman, the California wheel guru. Harvey, who can match virtually any Porsche wheel finish, said the brighter silver finish on the S wheels can only be done by Porsche at the factory - something about a metallized finish. You might contact Harvey for more information. I considered having my wheels refinished by Harvey to a darker silver used on some particularly obscure Porsche similar to the color Bruce Canepa uses for the 959's he federalizes. For now, just touched up - can't find the marks unless you're really looking for them. I might consider the set offered here is they are in better condition than mine - or if among the eight, I can have four perfect ones.
Old 06-03-2006 | 08:57 PM
josephla
Instructor

Boys just let me warn you DO not believe a word John Paterek has to say. That lying SOB messed up my 993 with HORRIBLE paintwork. What a smuck.Sorry for being rude but it is not often that I bad mouth someone but he deserves it.PM me for further details.
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:21 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shaynes you have a PM
Old 06-03-2006 | 11:48 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

I just bought a new set of original wheels for my 993 Turbo S. I believe that there is no way to refinish them. I'd be willing to sell my original set, but they are an 8 on a scale of 1-10. If you own an S, you probably won't be happy with anything less than a 9.5. Spend the money and get the new wheels. You won't regret it.
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:25 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I would suggest a call to Wheel Enhancements in So Cal. They seem to know Porsche wheels inside out, and maybe able to offer some guidance.
Old 06-04-2006 | 08:16 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

David Martin at wheel enhancement does not have the code, but there is one, i have verified that through other sources than Paterak
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:40 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

you really don't want chrome hollow spokes...the chroming process does nasty things to hollow spoke wheels....do a search for some old posts by Jeff 993TT; they should be about 3 years old or so. he had a silver TT and the chrome negatively affected the integrity and safety of his wheels. I had chrome hollow twists on by cab and was fortunate to get some trade-in credit when I bought new rims.
Old 06-05-2006 | 12:47 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Can you order these wheels new anymore ??
if you can that is what I would do.

Marty K.
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:54 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Shaynes,
Did your Turbo S come out of Vegas and Gaudin Porsche new?
Old 06-06-2006 | 08:11 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

My twin S was bought originally t Don Rosen Imports in the NorthEast, then the second owner acquired it from Champion in West Palm Beach, then I purchased in from a local Jaguar dealer of all thnigs , the owner bought a Gallardo they had, can't imagine trading a Twin S for a Gallardo.
Old 06-06-2006 | 12:32 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaynes
the owner bought a Gallardo they had, can't imagine trading a Twin S for a Gallardo.
Old 06-06-2006 | 09:16 PM
Les Quam
Pro

The reason I asked was because the owner of our one and only Las Vegas Porsche dealership ordered a black Met. 993 turbo S and immediately chromed the wheels after it arrived and sold it a year later and the second owner has 12,000 miles on it now and has been trying to sell it. I was wondering if it was the same car? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2006 | 08:25 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Nope, not this car, i considered selling it, it really is one of those, can't replace things. How much is thiis other guy asking for his 12k mile car, just curious, i watch this like a hawk and I hven't seen it for sale?

Quick Reply: Help with 993 Turbo S question