Sponsored by:

She's Goin To RUF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's Goin To RUF!

After pondering the plethora of HP upgrade options for our cars, and heeding the vast trial and error experiences of JJayB, I decided to give RUF USA a call today.

I had a long talk with Hans. It's going in a car carrier May 25th, to arrive at RUF May 29th. With that decision made, maybe tonight I can finally get a good night's sleep.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are not loosing sleep over how much a nip and tuck at Ruf is going to cost. It'll be worth it though.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What are the details of your plan? How many miles on your engine... will you start with a total, split-the-case teardown? Ruf suspension? Ruf wheels? Spill the beans!

Congratulations
Old 04-18-2006, 01:46 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! You won't regret it! You'll be able to terrorize those new $230K Ferrari F430 jobs!

Jaime
Old 04-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
What are the details of your plan? How many miles on your engine... will you start with a total, split-the-case teardown? Ruf suspension? Ruf wheels? Spill the beans!

Congratulations
Yikes Steve! Did you have to mention all that...I guess I won't be getting a good night's afterall.

I am going to have them upgrade the rods, valve guides, and other week points in the motor. I only have 26,000 miles, so it should be in pretty good shape.

I already did the suspension, but I probably will get the wheels. I'm going to fly out early in the process. I may do some shopping while I'm there.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Nice! You won't regret it! You'll be able to terrorize those new $230K Ferrari F430 jobs!

Jaime
A 430 I could live with (although they never leave the shelter of a Newport Beach garage). It's those smug C6 Z06's that drive me crazy.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Craig,

Congrats bruddah... Can't wait to see the grin on your face when you pick her up.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I know where I will be camping out for a week or two... Maybe I can do lots of photos while work is under way.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah! Maybe I'll join you and be part of the cheerleader section. I would love to see what they do...wonder if they'd mind? Will they be disclosing too much?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Well done !!! One day, I'll be doing the same
Old 04-18-2006, 10:11 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear the CHP's are going to set up a field office down the street from you two. You could set up a direct deposit account with them.....
Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by Tour18
Well, I know where I will be camping out for a week or two... Maybe I can do lots of photos while work is under way.
I would love some picks of the process! When I pick it up, maybe we can meet and bust a bottle of champagne over the bumper (after we drink it of course).
Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Craig,

Some other nifty Ruf goodies to consider (as long as you're in there):
RUF CTR bumpers
Ruf A-piller fairings
Ruf pedals
Ruf steering wheel
Ruf shift ****
Ruf logos
Ruf brakes (I wish I could afford these)
Ruf seats (I may get a pair of these used)
Ruf mirrors
Turbo S rear spoiler (as long as the paint gun is already out)

Gosh, its fun spending your money.

My car had a lot of miles when the conversion was done, so it went to bare case and all new parts. The LWF was tried, but the previous owner claimed stalling issues, so he went back to the dual mass (darn it). Your car is so new, it should need nothing but the upgrades. The previous owner had the Roock wheels and suspension taken off, and went with the Ruf wheels and Ruf suspension. And of course the Ruf oil cooler... which is probably mandatory with any turbo R conversion they do.

Best luck. Keep us posted of your plans.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Awsome, cant wait to see the end result!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Craig,

Congratulations. Are you doing the Turbo-R, or the CTR package?

Steve had given superb advise. Just a few more from my perspective.

(1) I'd consider titanium parts (con-rods etc.) It is not that much more in the overall scheme of things. I have those in my motor and it offers great peace of mind.

(2) If you do not have a LWF already, I'd do the RUF one. It actually is more a medium weight than a true LWF. No chatter, no stalls. But every Porsche mechanics who drove my car immediately recognized the difference.

(3) 130 Cell CATS: you don't have to do it at RUF, as Caludio (Foreign Sports in S. Cal, Tony can give you more input on this) can do that. But I'd switch out the OEM CAT cores for 130 cell cores. I did that recently and it greatly improved the throttle response and the sound. It also helps the longevity of the turbo. The RUF Motronics is mapped for race CATs.

I strongly second the notion of a Turbo S tail. It looks great, and the air-flow (engine cooling air) enhancement is icing on the cake. In additon, please consider the aero-kit (from splitters and side skirts). While we can really enjoy the aero-dynamic benefits (can hit those road speeds here), but they look so nice.

The last one is a hornet's nest: If I was going to do this mod, I'd send my car to RUF in Pheffenhausen in Germany. The conversion costs the same (I think), so the difference is the shipping cost. The trade off is that you have the long-proven workmenship, attention to detail, and QA protocol in Alois's house. In addition, you can drive the new beast all over European roads (that's the natural environment for a RUF) before you ship it back home. Once the car hits U.S. soil, good luck to seeing triple-digit cruising in your RUF. No disrespect meant for the Dallas shop, but I had to think that a conversion done in Germany is a better job at the end of the day.

Just my two cents. Good luck with this journey. It is going to be a LOT of fun.

CP

Quick Reply: She's Goin To RUF!