Sponsored by:

She's Goin To RUF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Trask
I would love some picks of the process! When I pick it up, maybe we can meet and bust a bottle of champagne over the bumper (after we drink it of course).
Craig,

When will the car be done? My TT and I will be in TX by the middle or end of June. I'm in McKinney, TX... not too far away.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn I gotta stop surfing RL........I just looked up the Ruf USA phone number......
Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Trask
After pondering the plethora of HP upgrade options for our cars, and heeding the vast trial and error experiences of JJayB, I decided to give RUF USA a call today.

I had a long talk with Hans. It's going in a car carrier May 25th, to arrive at RUF May 29th. With that decision made, maybe tonight I can finally get a good night's sleep.
Dumb question here: when you send a car to RUF are there certain basics that are done to a 993TT (or any model for that matter) that signify a RUF conversion? From ca993twin's post, can I assume there are other optional items?

Rob
Old 04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
When will the car be done? My TT and I will be in TX by the middle or end of June. I'm in McKinney, TX... not too far away.
Tony,

I just got off the phone with Hans. He won't have room for my project until the end of May. It's scheduled to be delivered May 30. He said it could take from 4-6 weeks. The timing should be about right.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Some other nifty Ruf goodies to consider (as long as you're in there):
RUF CTR bumpers
Ruf A-piller fairings
Ruf pedals
Ruf steering wheel
Ruf shift ****
Ruf logos
Ruf brakes (I wish I could afford these)
Ruf seats (I may get a pair of these used)
Ruf mirrors
Turbo S rear spoiler (as long as the paint gun is already out)

Gosh, its fun spending your money.
Steve, you're killing me here! I've already put a "parental block" on the RUF website so I can't look at it anymore.

With the exception of new GT3 seats and DAS bar (both on order), the interior is done. It already has a 3-spoke CF steering wheel and full carbon fiber interior package.

Exterior wise, New RUF logos are without saying (can't live without those ). I want to try to preserve the stock look. I doubt I'll spring for the bumpers or spoiler.

Due to my low mileage, Hans thinks the titanium rods are overkill. I think I'll do them anyway, along with the valve guides. It's a lot cheaper to do while they have the motor out.

I guess this kills any indecision I had about trading into a 996 GT2.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM
z8cw
AutoX

Why mess around...just get this one

http://www.rufautocentre.com/usedcars/car020.asp

CW
Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

CW,

Yipes. That ad has my heart all a twitter. Craig... DO NOT LOOK AT THAT AD! But if you do, post the price... just out of curiosity.

Considering your car is new, I'm surprised you're going to to a top end and rods. I'm not sure Ruf uses anything but the stock valve guides. Your car will be great, which ever way you go... I love the Turbo R package, and I still have a few upgrades in my future... its instead of paying for my kids college! You must be walking on air with anticipation. Again... congratulations.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Craig T.
Racer

CW,

Yipes. That ad has my heart all a twitter. Craig... DO NOT LOOK AT THAT AD! But if you do, post the price... just out of curiosity.

Considering your car is new, I'm surprised you're going to to a top end and rods. I'm not sure Ruf uses anything but the stock valve guides. Your car will be great, which ever way you go... I love the Turbo R package, and I still have a few upgrades in my future... its instead of paying for my kids college! You must be walking on air with anticipation. Again... congratulations.
I asked about that car. It's WAY more than the sum of the value of my car and the cost of the Ruf Turbo R upgrade. Plus...shhhhhhh....It would be harder to slip under the NI class for the So Ca POC Time Trial Series.

Steve,

Hans said the same thing. He feels the rods, valve guides, etc, would be a waste of money at this point.

Pegasis0066,

That's not a "dumb question". I don't think anybody but RUF knows everything involved. They are a little allusive about about the process. An example is the advertised 490 hp is significantly over 500hp. It's kind of like what are the ingredients in McDonnald's "secret sauce". To answer you questions, the basic RUF R package is $27,900 and comes with at least this much:

1. RUF "secret" cams
2. Modified KKK Turbos
3. RUF Sport Exhaust
4. RUF Sport Cats
5. RUF Aux Oil Cooler
6. RUF Motronics ECU
7. Sach Clutch
8. RUF mid-weight flywheel

The finsihed product is a reliable, high-torque, street friendly car that will run on 91 octane fuel.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Craig,

If I were to guess $190k for that CTR, would I be in the ballpark?

The Turbo R is a total pleasure to drive. And while it works fine on 91, it appreciates higher octane, and rewards you. Did I mention that I LOVE my car?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Did I mention that I LOVE my car?
Steve,

I think I came to that conclusion from reading your posts over the last few months. I can't wait until May 25th! I'm like a 5 year-old waiting for Christmas.

As far as the 98 CTR price...I asked them if it was more than the $70K mine was worth, plus the $30K or $35K I would be spending. He said "way more". That was enough to knock me out!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That silver car is in South America, around $175K IIRC.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:18 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a black and a yellow CTR2 available earlier last year at $260,000. Kind of makes you want to hang on to your 993TT regardless of tune..

I went for a Coke run to Wendy's in the yellow CTR2. Amazingly civilized for a 580hp car...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM
z8cw
AutoX

Yeah, over 190k asking price for the CTR2 and then you have a car you won't take out of the garage. Good luck with the upgrade.

CW
Old 04-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Craig

I'll be waiting until Ruf set up shop here in Bahrain and then I think I'll got for the conversion. BTW, I am aware that Ruf only offers the Turbo R conversion for our cars, was there every a CTR2 conversion (bar buying a car with RUF vin)?

You lucky man

Cheers
Old 04-23-2006, 03:58 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Ziad, the answer is no. CTR II were always produced from the basic shell that RUF gets. Not aware of any conversions.

Craig, you'll love it! I've been in converted 993 turbo and it's seriously FAST!

Quick Reply: She's Goin To RUF!