Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf Market $$

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doh, Steve, you are right. The Ruff 993's ive seen in Dallas have been the CTR's and they do look different enough. I stand corrected. Those CTR's are beasts, make my hair stand on end just looking at them. Certainly a departure in looks from the original Yellow Bird

Jaime
Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not so sure about that!
The body shells from Porsche that are the basis for the VIN cars are inspected by RUF and the welding is upgraded where necessary. I think that every RUF VIN car is at least in or above the quality range of the best Porsche cars.

The engines start their life at RUF so their is also a difference in the break-in process.

I think the rigid body shells (with integrated roll cage) are one of the success factors of the RUF cars and a reason for the special driving sensation.

I agree that performance will be quite the same for VIN and conversions.

And I would take a Turbo R conversion every day you lucky bustard

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Conversions can be identical with the Ruf factory VIN cars... only lacking that damn VIN!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:53 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stummel, I was at the RUF factory in early December last year and saw exactly that, a 997 body being reinforced by additional welds and a roll cage like the one in mine. My car is 9 years old, yet it is as solid as a new car if not more so. I also agree that a RUF factory conversion is the best thing next to a RUF VIN car.
Enjoy
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Sport Auto
Track Day

CP, I agree with you that the converted cars get very close attention, similar to the Ruf VIN cars. What I have learned is that Ruf is a pretty small operation. This enables them to really get to know each car and each customer. I recently spoke with them about one of their conversion cars which was completed 4+ years ago and they remembered the car and the customer in detail! This is just one of the things that sets them apart from everyone else. Heaven knows that I can't afford a Ruf VIN car and really should't have been able to afford the 2 different Ruf conversion cars that I've owned (got lucky and stole them!), but my experiences with the Ruf cars and the Ruf people have given me a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for the what they do and I'm sure that I will be a customer of their some day. BTW, Hi Steve. Rufus looks great! Thanks for the welcome...Tim
Old 01-13-2006, 12:35 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Hmmmm. 993 Ruf conversions don't have carbon fiber doors/hood/engine lids.
Not sure if you were saying that RUF VIN cars have the carbon parts in relation to the RUF conversion not having them but from what i saw last September it was still metal body parts except for the rear deck lid.

I agree with Sport Auto. Their customer relations are superb and as he said when it comes to knowing their customers and cars they some how are able to remember them off the top of their head. Found that out first hand when doing research in buying the very car that CP now owns .

A pic of the man himself signing my RK Spyder edition of Excellence Mag.

If anyone ever gets the chance to go to Germany I recommend making a trip to RUF as they will gladly show you the facilities.

harrY
Old 01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi Harry....My thoughts were that all vin Ruf's had the carbon fiber body parts as was explained to me at Ruf Dallas. Now, i think that maybe only the CTR's were like this?? I may have misspoke, as I'm not up to speed with the various Ruf permutations, including conversions. So, if I'm getting this right, Ruf completes vehicles at their factory from Porsche skeletons and they have the appearance of a straight porsche...and, Ruf also makes CTR's that are quite different looking compared to their counterpart vehicle....did I get this right? They are both " vin Ruf", but the CTR is purposefully visually different?

Jaime
Old 01-13-2006, 12:51 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is my car currently on the above lift and I don't know if you can tell from the picture but I can assure you that the trunk lid, rear and front bumper are Carbon.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 01:02 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Hmmm odd. The doors that i were looking at belonged to one of these RT12's above and they were steel or aluminum. Then again though each VIN car is specific to customer demand and maybe the ones i saw didn't want carbon particular parts? Good info anyways and nice CTR-2. RUF did a dyno demonstration for us with a CTR-2 engine mounted and that thing sounded like a bat out of hell!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

LAT.....check your doors, are they CF too? Get a small magnet and see if it sticks. Athough, may not stick to aluminum. You could gently tap with your finger nails on the finish to see if it's a dull thump of composite vs a ding from metal....??

Jaime
Old 01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

From the sound I would think not, the car is still at RUF being totally rebuilt bumper to bumper so I will have to wait to do a magnet test.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:05 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

"the car is still at RUF being totally rebuilt bumper to bumper"

You could just ask them at Ruf...they will know.

cheers, Jaime
Old 01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

From the weights quoted before you are running stock heavyweight steel
Old 01-13-2006, 03:14 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I was a betting man I would agree.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:38 PM
GuyR
Racer

RUF converted cars can have as much or as little of the same equipment as the owner chooses to have fitted. This includes any carbon panels and also the integrated roll-cage and also conversion with flank intercoolers. In reality most people choose to simply have the engine upgrade and the body/wheels as a cost-based decision.

As for the RT12, I have seen it on several occasions and spoken at length to people at Ruf about it, most recently at the Essen Motor Show and on a standard RT12 the rear engine cover is carbon, but I think thats it. They have made RT12s with carbon doors and other lightweight panels, but the standard is steel.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guy you were in Essen, so was I on the 28th 29th of November. We, Rennlister should keep in touch when we travel to motor shows, could be a chance to meet.
Next time.

Quick Reply: Ruf Market $$