Sponsored by:

Andial 3.8 Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 03:08 PM
jtpsocal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty,

Back in my youth we used to hang out in Balboa when you could still cruise down there. Gary Haw used to bring his 88' Ruf Turbo S (real Ruf vin) slantnose down there needless to say pretty sweet car to even be around when your 17. If I recall the Porsche he had before that some kid on a bicycle on Alisha Parkway in Laguna Niguel met his demise on its front end while he was speeding then tried to cover up the fact that he was driving by having his Dad show up to the accident scene while he took off. He did a stint in Chino State Prison for that. We put up with his supersized ego just so we could be around that car. BTW, never did see a female *** hit the leather in that 88' Ruf ..ever...always (younger) guys...
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by martyg
Andial no doubt is a great place to have a porsche 3.8 built. But..
and that is a big but...

I saw a twin plug out of a car when I visited them and look great but...for 45-50K.

I had my motor built 3.8 FVD by felix for 30K ...

I talked in detail about Andial and Gulf Peformance with a few in circle that are in the know, I went with Felix.... Just not sure if it would be worth 15 - 20K more money.
I just noticed this post and would like to comment while trying to bring back this thread on topic.

Marty, I will not comment who is a better builder as I don't know Gulf Performance but I understand they are FVD dealers.

As far as price difference, it is not as simple as that. Andial does a lot of work on the rotating assembly (crank balancing, blueprinting, magnaflux, etc.. and then things like the P&Cs that they use for their 3.8 upgrades, valves, guides, head work, improving flow, intake system, etc.. etc.. over and above that, the twin plug will make a difference.

Andial uses Mahle for their conversions, knowing that leaks are one KEY weakness area of 3.8 engines, I would sleep much better knowing I have them in there. As far as niro rings, you do not need them on an engine boosting up to around 1.0 bar (or probably more) if it is properly tuned, has good fasteners and a good head and surface mating job done. Putting niro rings on 993TT heads properly involves serious work and head strengthening/welding,I hope your builder did that, I know it took my builder over 3 weeks just to find the welding composite to match exactly the alloy on the 993TT heads and avoid different expansion attributes.

Finally, if this helps proving a point about comparing like to like quotations between builders, , I was quoted WELL above $50k by FVD in Germany to have a single plug TT engine built to withstand >550hp, the way Andial would have done it (I had both build-spec sheets with me to compare).

The above is in no way directed against any tuner or builder, I am just trying to explain why different builders can quote such big difference in prices, there is sometimes a reason behind it..
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Sameer;

Andial has another method of adding there own sealing ring design..
Old 07-03-2005, 08:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It was great meeting you out at the track Firday Don. I hope to see you back out there soon with the 3.8T...
Old 07-03-2005, 10:52 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be there Bob! First I'll have to take care of that pesky 1000 miles break in, should only take a day or two.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:22 AM
martyg
Advanced

Default All good points.

But if you are starting with a fresh 3.6TT you have an advantage over my build. It was blown up and not fresh. I saw the hole in the top of the piston. So...

One thing I do know is alot of tuners talk alot. Alot of people talk alot. Especially when they spend alot of money on their motor. And they should because I am sure they worked very hard at work (buisiness) and their wife to be able to alloacate that money to a garage toy. But i guess in the end, did my car start today without any smoke and did I pull a few g's going down the freeway? I can say yes as I am sure you can to. 500 or 800 BHP. Once your up there its all conversation anyway. Smiles for miles.

Aside from normal stuff coming loose or needing repair, no matter how much we spend I hope for us we can start it like the day it was stock and hammer the s..t out of it and put it away wet without any concerns.

marty
Old 07-04-2005, 02:27 AM
martyg
Advanced

Default Jean

You know more than I do.

Most of what you talked about in your post was done to the motor. I guess if the motor makes it 3 years and i can check the HP over 500 than the money was well spent.?

Marty
Old 07-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Marty, just trying to address the cost difference between tuners that you were talking about, which is not only driven by reputation or name (part of it will be). The work that you have done to your engine is outstanding and I am sure you have a great ride. What 911/Q45 has done is as good, and price will be justified, if we can ever have a justification to spending these sick amounts of money.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 AM
martyg
Advanced

Default No No very well put

you have a better understanding.

I guess my point was. As long as I can put my foot into it and get the guy next to me to look like he is off the throttle and it lasts, that is what counts.

Marty

Quick Reply: Andial 3.8 Update