Sponsored by:

GIAC Chip to 480hp ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:10 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boostid
I'll be sending my turbos to Kevin in the next couple of days for his stage 1 hybrid upgrade. If I move to Oregon or Washington, can I get any better than this crappy 91 octane Cali gas without looking for race fuel? I think Wash gas is 92.

By the way, I had a great conversation with Kevin today. I learned more about my car in 30 minutes with him than I have in 5 years. This guy is the real deal and more than lives up to his stellar reputation. I think I just scratched the surface of his knowledge with my limited pea brain mechanical background. I'm sure our turbos are in good hands with Kevin.

Now, what am I going to do without my car for the next 3 weeks? Driving the Volvo turbo wagon just isn't the same (though I can take it to Costco).
Hi Hal,

What were the deciding factors that led you to Kevin's stage 1 versus the stage 2 turbos? I understand they are priced reasonably close to each other, was it only the ****ty Cali gas?

Thanks. I'm on my way there though it may be a few months....
Old 02-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by boostid
I'll be sending my turbos to Kevin in the next couple of days for his stage 1 hybrid upgrade. If I move to Oregon or Washington, can I get any better than this crappy 91 octane Cali gas without looking for race fuel? I think Wash gas is 92.
Hal:

92 is what you find in OR & WA. Its better than 91 for sure however I do recommend that people use a 50/50 mix of pump gas and unleaded race gos for track events.

You can feel the difference, especially with an upgraded car.....
Old 02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

fyi - a chart showing commonly available octane by state can be found at Rennlister Bob Prosser's

http://www.autoworldmarketing.com/octane.htm
Old 02-04-2005, 04:06 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jrgordonsenior;
A couple of reasons for the Stage 1 hybrids:

First of all, I'm following Kevin's advice in that the Stage 1 hybrids are the best turbo for street use and have the most ECU upgrades available (including 91 octane).

Second, I'm not looking for super tire smoking power, and don't want to have to use race fuel except for more enthusiastic driving (like track events). At the rate we're going, I figure that in a couple of years, our crappy California premium fuel will be below 90 octane.

Third, at my advanced age (I'm 60), I'm afraid anything more than Stage 1 would scramble any remaining firing synapses that may be left in my brain.

Steve;
Thanks. 92 is better than 91. I'll be in Portland end of Feb to sniff around and see if it's a place to live.

Dfarrow;
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:39 PM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Rob:

Craig:

In your climate, I'd opt for a larger IC to maintain peak performance in hot weather. As Kevin said, the ECU will back pull boost & timing when the intake air temps (and cylinder head temps) get too high. Use 98 RON fuel.

I can also get you a digital charge-air temp guage so you can monitor intake temps both before and after the IC.

Does it mean if I use 98RON fuel (which I do), I'd be better off? Still need a larger IC?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:50 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, or anybody, Can I run Kevin's stage 2 on 93 Octane (Texas)? I'm not too clear if Kevin's stage 2 required mixing of gas. Thanks

Jaime
Old 02-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Jaime, 93 is not 94 but it will do.. If you are going to track the car, add 4-5 gallons of 100..
Old 02-05-2005, 10:54 PM
nman413
Drifting

Kevin, so are you saying that running stage2 turbos on pump gas is a no-no, even with an aftermarket ECU? I'm okay with reduced power on pump gas then switching to a 100 octane map....
Old 02-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Pump gas ( 91 octane) and tracking your car is not wise, without adding some more octane to the mix... A uprated ECU tuned for 91 has the timing paremeter lower than your stock ECU.. On the track in Cali you are fighting temperatures from the actual engine and boost. Spending $20.00 for 4 gallons of 100 for a track event is money well spent.. The PCA race cars that I prep turbo's for all run 100 and higher fuels...
Old 02-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Boostid

By the way, I had a great conversation with Kevin today. I learned more about my car in 30 minutes with him than I have in 5 years. This guy is the real deal and more than lives up to his stellar reputation. I think I just scratched the surface of his knowledge with my limited pea brain mechanical background. I'm sure our turbos are in good hands with Kevin.
I feel the same way... thanks Kevin.

Boostid, who is removing and reinstalling your turbos when they come back from Kevin?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 03:33 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony;

Mind Over Motorsports in San Diego. I'll let you know how they do.

Hal
Old 02-06-2005, 03:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CS2CC6
Does it mean if I use 98RON fuel (which I do), I'd be better off? Still need a larger IC?
Craig:

Given your climate in Taiwan, I'd run a larger IC if you can run the car on-boost for periods of time. Track events as well as long open roads with straights that permits speeds to 160 MPH or more falls into that classification.

Controlling charge-air temps also helps to contain cylinder head temps and those two things help keep those knock sensors at bay,...

Quick Reply: GIAC Chip to 480hp ??