Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARRGH!!! The unthinkable happened!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 05:18 PM
harryb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRGH!!! The unthinkable happened!

Disaster. Put my car into "Tweeter" to get a Viper GPS alarm. Top installer who I've used before slammed the hood on a socket wrench that was sitting on the fuse box pointing up. Here's some pictures of the damage and a couple before it happened for comparison. I'm getting it fixed by a place called Karosserie (www.karosserie.com) in King of Prussia, PA. Supposedly, it's one of the top body shops in the US and a factory authorized shop for Ferrari and Masserati if anything happens to one of those on the way into the country. Also, they are one of the only shops in the east approved to work on the all aluminum Audi A8's.

I'd be interested in opinions about what the repair and repainting of the hood this does to the value of the car since I'm actively pursuing the insurance claim including the value drop to the vehicle.

Also, I'd be interested in opinions about how to best do this repair (new hood vs. metal repair, painting just hood vs. adjacent panels etc.).

Thanks,
Harry
Attached Images      
Old 01-22-2005, 06:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Harry because of the mileage and pristine condition of your particular car, I would just get a new OEM hood from Porsche. I'm sure they could fix it decently, but why have a repaired hood when you can have a new one from the factory. And paint is another issue. You'll have 8 year old paint against the newly painted hood. If this shop is good, they'll find the factory paint from Porche to match it with, and test/tint if necessary to get the correct color match. Good luck Harry, I'm sad to see that hood on what must be one of the nicest 993 TT's in existance.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
frisbee54
Racer

Hi Harry I dont think this will hurt the future value at all as long as the work is done properly, if you have any rock chips on the nose take this opportunity to fix those also, just document what happened with pictures etc. so when you do go to sell it a prospective buyer will see it wasnt painted because of a collision or major damage I'm looking for a car now and as a buyer this wouldn't bother me. But I do know how you feel but in a few weeks after the repair you will forget all about it. Good luck and I hope everything works out to your satisfaction. Doug
Old 01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Harry,
Very unfortunate for that to happen to such a nice car just make sure the body shop don't blend the paint into the adjacent panels.Btw you did the right thing in taking the picts as it will definately help the next buyer should you decide to sell the car.Hope you get the baby back to " like" original condition.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:20 PM
harryb
Advanced

jrgordonsenior:

Certainly I can get a new porsche hood.....but most of the experts I've talked to recommend against this. Each hood is evidently custom fit in some manner. So most are saying that a metal repair with no putty or bondo, followed by repainting the hood with no paint on adjacent panels is the way to go.

Harry
Old 01-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Harry;

I agree with you.. A top metal guy could fix your hood.. However, I would not let the paint guys put color on the entire hood.. I would spot paint over the repaired area and have them blend the color onto the rest of the hood... This way you could have them redo the color if the tint was not perfect.. Having them paint the entire panel would be a crime, you'd have to blend to the top of the fenders and cowl and bumper... Make sure that you talk to different paint guys at differnet shops...
Old 01-22-2005, 07:14 PM
harryb
Advanced

The shop i'm using does the work for Ferrari and Masserati before they are sold in the east if there is any damage from transport when they come into the US. They are planning on using absolutely as little paint as they can.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Harry it sounds like you've it well in hand. Good luck and we'll all look forward to seeing the after pics.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:24 PM
harryb
Advanced

JR:

Thanks. Just talked to somebody else who agrees with you that a new hood is the way to go. He says that the production of the 911TT is so accurate that fitment is not an issue and it would be preferable to a metal repair. I'll just have to see how this plays out. I greatly appreciate all the help i'm getting from you and others. This has been VERY TRAUMATIC!!!! I know...I'm somewhat of a fanatic....but aren't we all!!!

Harry
Old 01-23-2005, 09:27 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you order the hood sticker from Porsche?

Harry
Old 01-24-2005, 03:18 AM
jcaine
Advanced

In my experience a "top" body shop like the one you are using can work miracles... I use a guy in LA called Lanse Hasselrig... he's the best and has fixed some of my cars including a custom painted (pearl mix) hot rod I had and matched it flawlessly. Like you, mine was a stupid mistake made by a shipper so money was no object...

I would ge the hood fixed and painted and if you are not happy , get the new hood.

BTW... what kind of knuckelhead leaves his tools in the car and SLAMS a TT hood?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 AM
SLVR
Pro

Harry, very sorry to hear. Hope you refrained from inflicting bodily harm on the perp....I would have had a hard time to find restraint....
Old 01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

No use getting arrested once the damage is done.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:26 PM
harryb
Advanced

Default Here's the repaired hood!!!

Got my car back. Ended up using Karosserie's in King of Prussia, PA. They're the best out here. The result is excellent.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by harryb
Got my car back. Ended up using Karosserie's in King of Prussia, PA. They're the best out here. The result is excellent.
what was done?

Quick Reply: ARRGH!!! The unthinkable happened!