Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 'Smoking issues'

Perhaps a new twist? Ummm, 993TTbased factory Ruf smokes after being parked for a couple of weeks,right side pipe mostly but really both sides. Some drip after driving and parking. Fired it up the next day...not a hint of smoking.Drove it until oil temp was up and stopped to talk to a friend..left it running and chatted for 10 minutes. The car started smoking big time thru the pipes..also heater boxes smoke. The smoke the first day caused concern about engine fire. Have not checked new (correct) filter or other stuff.
I have been thru this smoking stuff several times in the past but never had a situation where I had huge smoke,parked it over night only to find no smoke the next day. Then the smoking after idling for ten minutes.
I will be talking to a Ruf technician,hopefully tomorrow but i am seriously doubtful the factory will be able to do a fix to within the timeframe i need. If I connect with Ruf tomorrow. I have a 130 mile open road race and need to decide if I can run the Ruf week after next.

Turbos have never,ever been shut down hot,have low hours etc.ect.

Clues(???) Is this a breather issue?

Cheers,

R
Old 06-13-2004, 03:04 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experience with 996 Turbos, but in any turbo car I've ever had, if it smokes on prolonged idle, it has almost always been a turbo seal.

Kevin and the others will hopefully chime in with their awesome technical information. Hope this car is *not* like all my other turbo cars.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Thanks FcKevein

Thanks racer. My Ruf platform is 993TT based. I was hopeing Kevin would jump in here and tell me turbo seal. I am a ZC believer. I am so sensitive to time..getting a fix this week my not be in the cards. Oh well I may have to run my M5 in Nevada. Dam,missed my time window to talk with Alois today. Pulling the turbos tomorrow for a sanity check.

R
Old 06-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same symptoms with my Turbo R when I had a bad engine oil filter. The smoking was not always predictable. Did you do an oil change recently or could the filter have loosened?
Old 06-13-2004, 12:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Normally when you have turbo puking like this the turbos have let go. I would pull the inlet pipes at min and see if you have oil in them. If you do then you certainly have an issue with them. You say both sides after the 10 minutes started smoking? That almost sounds like a sump issue. Although the way that is designed it would be hard for that fail.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Hi Bill

I have been thru this smoke thing many,many times!The difference this time is the anomaly of starting the next day,all is well and then idling the car for 15 minutes while I rapped with my friend. I am well acquainted with the seconday filter issues.I believe the preferred part is 993 107 203,the suffix "203" being the term of real interest. I am going to the office now to recheck the filter and probably will have a local guy pull the turbos tomorrow. Dam,I just gave my friend my spare set of Ruf turbos! I am running out of time so, as required, I will drive the M5 and just cruise 150 average for my 130 mile Nevada race.

cheers,

R
Old 06-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I were you, it's easy enough to replace the filter first. Even if it's the right part, it could still be bad. I've had two bad ones, both with the latest rev level.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Roland;

If it's not the oil filters, you have something wrong with seals in your turbocharger. I have had many people ask me why do I want to pull the intake boot. The answer is, we already know that the turbine seal is failing, however, exhaust gases/pressure is pressurizing the bearing housing where the oil is flowing through your turbo. The high pressure is blowing the oil through the compressor side sealing ring and thus into the inlet tract... I have seen it so bad, that it will push oil onto the air filter media...

With as many times that you have had turbo's on and off, you should be doing it yourself... Regardless, if it isn't the filter, it's the turbochargers..
Old 06-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Thanks Guys

I am at the office, just ran the Ruf..all was well. no hint of smoke,lots of boost, all seemed to be well. Parked it and ate..Ruf blew a puff on startup. We will do the filter tomorrow and if that doesn't work I will have a local turbo rebuild job done. Checked my logs and I have way more runs than I guessed. Dam it Kevein,next time I ask about ZC you gotta say; Roland, stop the BS and send your turbos to me!

Cheers,

R
Old 06-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Kevin, when we remove the IC to replace the ignition coil we found a small amount of oil, only at the drivers side IC hose and at the IC, but my car never smoke before, even at high rpms´s. Could that be a turbo seal at one side only? Now it´s time to replace the oil filters on my car after 3k kilometers, the question is: If possible to have an oil filter failure having oil at only one turbo hose?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Roland;

We have traded emails for 2 1/2 years... I know it's so hard to pack them up and call UPS, or FedEx..

Corte

I wouldn't worry about a small amount of oil.. Just keep your eye on it..
Old 06-14-2004, 03:08 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Kevin,
Thanks for the awesome feedback and info.
i thinks, i will follow suit... just for sanity's sake
again, many thanks in advance
Old 06-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Corte Loco
Racer

Thank´s for the info Kevin, I sure do.

Quick Reply: More 'Smoking issues'