4.0 Ltr. upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 4.0 Ltr. upgrade?

Has anyone experienced a 4.0 Ltr P&C upgrade on our engines? I know of one European tuner using it with success and has been tested to up to 2.5 Bar boost. If this is reliable and feasible, it would be a great improvement in efficiency. I would like to go this route however worried that it has not been sufficiently tested.

This upgrade should give great low end torque with an 8.2-8.75 compression , helping offset the turbo lag of a K26 or K27 that could be fitted, to make a great performance street car. Deadly combination!!

Of course this is assuming that head work reinforcement needs to be done, including positive lock sealing and twin plug...and definitely stronger rods, I/C oil pump etc.., maybe a GT3 crank as well?

Am I mumbling?

Any views would be appreciated, I am sure at least one of Rennlist tuners/sponsors have some experience with this?

Thanks. Jean
Old 05-18-2004, 02:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I know nothing of any of this, but just want to say... yipes. It sounds fantastic, and I'd love to hear from you if you try out some or all of your ideas. 4.0 liters... gadzooks. Do it!
Old 05-18-2004, 02:30 PM
mjims
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jean

I too have been looking into the feasibility study of the 4Ltr Kits. There is a Tuning Company here in the UK called BS Motorsport who have been developing such a kit.

apparently their test mule is a 993 GT2 which is apparently good for a reliable 800BHP...sorry did I stutter.....800BHP

My questions to the engineer I spoke to was about most of the things you mention. He's honest suggestion was to basically dump everything but the crank cases!

Start by using a GT3 crank, Carillo titanium Rods, their own 4Ltr (102mm) Cylinders and their own 102mm Forged Pistons (Made by Weisco apparently!) Plus I assume larger Intercooler and Turbos, Injectors etc

He didn't go into to much detail as to the head's used other than they were twin plug and extensively modified with 42mm and 52mm Valves. (I think they were the sizes he mentioned, seem a little too big to me)

So, Big money then....

I also asked about the reliability of the 4WD system with such horse power and he agreed that 600BHP was about the Maximum before adding cooling etc. and that even then 650BHP is about the max and then he said that he would probably ditch the front diff all together...??? kinda defeats the object of a 4WD car don't you think?

Anyway....you've got me babbling on now.

I decided that if this type of upgrade was to be performed properly it was going to take a serious amount of money. It was going to take a pretty much brand new engine and turbos, not to mention headers and exhausts etc.

The more you move in one direction, the more you move away from the 993TT's Trump card... Its drivability.

More power means upgraded chassis, means upgraded brakes, means Completely revised Intake system, means more, more, more.

I eventually came to the conclusion that it was just not worth going that exteme unless I wanted to move towards running on the track, and where's the fun in nipping down to the local shop for some milk . In your wife's Fiat UNO. NOT

Anyway, I would also like to hear if anyone else has looked into any of this too.

Until then I suppose 500-550BHP real horses will just have to do.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve, Jim

Thank you for the encouragement.

I agree this is an expensive "hobby", I will end up selling my beautiful 965 turbo to fund it. I had already made up my mind about going all the way with internal modifications, therefore a 4.0 Ltr upgrade will not be an overkill.

Neil Bainbridge (BSMotorsport) uses his own heads which are stronger than stock ones (optional), the valves are 51.5 and 43.5mm a quite common upgrade, and then obviously all the Conrods, ARP fasteners, screw-in liners sealed to the heads and (optional) GT3 crank and oil pump.. etc. The key is in the work performed in the heads and intake. You can fab headers quite cheaply, as well as a great I/C from a Spearco core. Maybe add to that a couple of Kevin's K27 HF or one his special hybrids..

I removed and dismantled the engine myself ($$$), only the case is still sealed and everything is packed and ready to be shipped somewhere, where? I don't know

I will sell whatever I can, the engine had only 15k miles on it.

If you do not have radical cams, radical flywheel/clutch or radical ECU, I do not think the 4.0 Ltr will affect daily drivability, it should actually improve low end torque, a properly tuned aftermarket ECU and correct turbo should take care of balancing a smooth hp delivery.

The car and chassis are being reinforced (and lightened ) and I will upgrade suspension and brakes. Daily usage will be at a modest 0.8 Bar and only seldom I will test those 600 hp. Below is a pic of the current status..(this was a silver 993TT with RUF body Kit!!)

Obviously all the above is IMHO, I am not an expert at all..I would love to hear from one of Rennlist experts here.. Please chime in.

Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going 4 litres sounds really interesting. Jean, care to list down the parts you want to sell from your 94 3.6 turbo? I hear that CMW racing makes these 4 litre kits too.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:13 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mjims
I also asked about the reliability of the 4WD system with such horse power and he agreed that 600BHP was about the Maximum before adding cooling etc. and that even then 650BHP is about the max and then he said that he would probably ditch the front diff all together...??? kinda defeats the object of a 4WD car don't you think?
He's probably talking about converting to 2wd

/E
Old 05-20-2004, 01:20 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Jean,

i looked into this too. But upon information supplied to me, I went smaller. 3.2L. I don't have the Torque the bigger engines have, but I hope to get into the Torque RPM's quicker. This will make a quicker car.

A GT3 Crank with 102.00mm Cylinders makes a 3.8L. I think 76.40 X 104.00mm nets 3.9L. To make a true 4.0L I think a stroke change would be required. What I did not like is the extra heat generated and no way of increasing the cooling. The lifespan of these big engines drops dramatically, when used to their potential. Choices, choices. It all came down to getting really good advice and options with real experiences attached. Many will sell you something, and never tell you the pit falls. My advice is to pick your Engine builder, then ask him. If you pick a good Builder, he will know and tell you which way to go. If he knows his stuff, he will give you options and choices. From there you will not be disapointed, as you will know before what to expect. That makes a difference I think.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

All in all you'd be better off with the GT3 crank and some 102's and call it good.. With the turbo technology today we don't need to install twin K27 on these engines...
Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Sameer
... care to list down the parts you want to sell from your 94 3.6 turbo? I hear that CMW racing makes these 4 litre kits too.
Sameer, sorry I might have confused you, I have a 3.6 965 and a 993TT. I might have to sell my 965, it is a beautiful car, I flew to the UK to buy it, (featured on Porsche 911 cover page). The parts that I will be selling will be from my 15k miles 993TT, If I go with a 3.8-4.0 then it will be everything from P&C to rods to crank, turbos, etc..I will also have a lot of body parts since I am shaving weight. Thanks for the tip on CMW.

Jim, I will be going for 2WD with fat rear tires as a test.. Funny, my 965 was converted to a 993TT 4WD gearbox and tranny

Simon, you are absolutely right, as usual! I will be choosing the right builder, I am still not decided, Neil is definitely one of the options, however I am doing some research on my own to know what's out there. The Pistons are 102mm, they change the pin location for added stroke and they fit them to an 82mm crankshaft and custom small journal Rods.

For the benefit of the board, the 4.0 Ltr can get you to 600 hp at 1 Bar, at 1.1 Bar you will see 500 ft/lb of torque at 3500 RPM! I still think the right Spearco core will give you the right cooling provided the engine has the right oil cooling and is properly tuned..I might be wrong.

Kevin, thanks for chiming in, you're always straight to the point, I will be contacting you once again for guidance and purchase of the right turbos once I know where I am exactly going.

I would really appreciate hearing from our other gurus for their opinions, I know Steve W., Stephen K., Neil at PD, et Al. Anyone?

Thank you all.
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 05-20-2004 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:02 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Jean
FWIW I know that RS Tuning tested the 4.0 set up in the late 90's, I actually saw the pistons in their CMW boxes at their facility -they didn't rate them, can't remember exactly why but m42racers reasoning sounds credible. I still advocate very careful matching of componentry and very accurate mapping to create what you need. The difference in low end torque between a perfectly mapped 3.6 and a 95% mapped 4.0 will be negligable.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Jean,
Yes off course I remember the article on your car.I have the magazine at home. Have you seen the Andial 3.8 litre conversion on their website? Something worth reading up on.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:59 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Jean,
I looked long and far to find really good parts, parts that were not the same old catalog parts sold by everyone, for my Red Turbo. Most wanted to sell me same parts and the same concept. CMW was one I looked at. Although they did have some unique parts, the quality was not there. Its hard to compare, but when you see quality, it does stands out from the rest.

Quick Reply: 4.0 Ltr. upgrade?