Sponsored by:

clutch weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 02:29 PM
TwinsPop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy clutch weirdness

(Dunno if it's related, but late last night I made a high-speed run down the 101 for about 3 miles. Rumor has it a silver 97 turbo was doing something north of 130. I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor, however. )

Anyway, this AM I get in to leave for work and my clutch peddle feels VERY different. It always had a rather heavy feel to it. And no play at the top. Now it's really a light push, it's VERY light for the first inch or two, and the friction point is nearly on the floor whereas it used to be much higher.

I'm stuck at work and haven't been able to contact my mechanic, so I was looking fo some input. Ideas? The clutch has about 10k miles on it. (Replaced at 52k, currently at 62k.)

grassy ***
Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your clutch problems could be a result of a guilty conscience...
Old 12-10-2003, 03:53 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nah, it takes at least 150 to twinge the conscience!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:25 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I just recently test drove a TT that had that same effect, but only when the car was not running. I asked the owner what was wrong with the clutch and he said he didn't know. It had a lot of loose play until any real pressure point was reached. That point was near the bottom of the travel range. Once I started the car, the hydraulic pressure came back and the clutch worked without a hitch. I passed on the car, but not for this reason.

Perhaps ur master or slave cylinder sprung a leak or can't build pressure for some reason. Sorry I don't have more to say than that.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It's probably the slave cylinder. I had mine replaced twice (under warranty) and the clutch feels much lighter now. Before I thought that my clutch was nearly 'done' but after I had the slave cylinder replaced everything is fine.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:44 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Hi Twinspop,

Long time no see. You should saddle up and come on one of the local fun runs in the canyons that fbfisher leads.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

It almost sounds like your slave cyl. did not work before
and now it does. Mine was heavy till I had the clutch et al
replace now its very light.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:57 PM
TwinsPop
Intermediate

Bummer. Got home yesterday, checked the fluid levels and all were above normal. ?? Got in to take it to my mechanic this morning, and the clutch won't disengage. Can't get it into gear.

The flatbed's leaving with it now. I'll check back in with the diagnosis and fix.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:44 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

TwinsPop,

Who do you use for your Porsche work? I'm looking for a local guy to my some odds and ends.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
TwinsPop
Intermediate

Good news, bad news. Good news is the car is fine and back in my garage. Bad news is I'm too much of an idiot to check the correct resevoir apparently. I checked the resevoir on the passenger side rear, right next to the oil dipstick. I also checked one on the driver side front next to the CD changer. Apprarently, the clutch resevoir in front is way up high, just below the windshield, and in my case, empty. $5 worth of fluid, and everything's back to normal.

No signs of leakage, so I'm not entirely clear on why it was empty, but my mechanic assured me it's fine.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:20 PM
TwinsPop
Intermediate

ca993twin,

Erickson Auto in Ventura 805-650-1461. Came highly recommended to me, and I've been happy.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:47 PM
maxiter
Racer

Originally posted by TwinsPop
Good news, bad news. Good news is the car is fine and back in my garage. Bad news is I'm too much of an idiot to check the correct resevoir apparently. I checked the resevoir on the passenger side rear, right next to the oil dipstick. I also checked one on the driver side front next to the CD changer. Apprarently, the clutch resevoir in front is way up high, just below the windshield, and in my case, empty. $5 worth of fluid, and everything's back to normal.
Fortunately, when I had power steering issues, I checked the correct reservoir.

In your case, better to be an idiot than to have an expensive repair.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:46 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hate to be a wet blanket, but it went somewhere!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:34 AM
maxiter
Racer

Originally posted by 911/Q45
Hate to be a wet blanket, but it went somewhere!
I would have thought that too. When I added hydraulic fluid, I only needed to add about one quarter of a litre. If (big assumption) nobody every bothered to check or top off the hydraulic fluid between 97 (when new) and the time I did, I can easily believe it's consumption without a leak.

Level has been even since adding it. In the case of TwinsPop, it could be a similar experience, but I'd still recommend my own advice and have the hydraulic system thorougly explored to find any suspected leaks.

In the meantime, TwinsPop might want to keep some Pentosin right next to the oil and in the car so it's always handy.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:08 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Slow leak

Twinspop:

Had almost the same experience before with clutch not disenganging. Fluid was leaking slowly from the hydraulic line connection to the master cylinder behind the wood kick panel in the pedals area. Initially the leak was not that noticeable since it was absorbed by the padding under the car carpet.

You might want to check in this area just to be sure. The fluid has to go somewhere.

HTH,

Quick Reply: clutch weirdness