993 Forum 1995-1998

Loose steering wheel/column

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Valego46
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose steering wheel/column

Hello folks! I am writing from Italy! Owner of a 993 4s cobalt blue with 100k miles! I discover this forum and it is really amazing... it is a huge resource of information! But I couldn't find anything concerning my little problem.
When stationery or low speed specially on gravel roads the steering wheel is a bit loose, moving it rapidly left and right u can fell and ear a clack clack noise! Attached is a picture of the steering column part, I placed some joint grease between male and female and now the feeling is way better. Apparently the all rack should be replaced and is quite expensive....in the past the single piece was available.
Anyone had to face this already? Thanks to share ur experience
Regards
Vale
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello Vale,
Have you experienced this symptom before you took it apart or after you reinstalled? There is a dedicated slot for the shaft and sleeve. You may have turned it a bit and misaligned both parts.
Nice table cloth btw.
Ed
Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Valego46
Track Day

Thanks! I know...everything on an Italian table is nice! 😋
The symptom was before I took (my mechanic actually) took it apart.
Now with grease is way better but I am afraid is a temporary solution! To replace the entire column is 1000 box...quite expensive for the entity of the problem.
I couldn't find the slot u r talking about.... could u please link it!?
Greetings
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I have not seen this part directly however it looks like a joint and a vibration isolator. If the joint does not have play the rubber isolator may have given up some of its stiffness or is slipping on its mounts. If this is the case I would consider removing the fasteners holding the rubber in place and remount it with new fasteners and some oversize washers to stiffen it up a little.

Also I have never seen this part go bad so a used one from a salvage lot may be a good solution also.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

The steering rack on the other hand is know to have problems, KLA Industries has a repair kit for $100
http://www.klaindustries.net/993rack/993rack.htm
My rack has been great for two years now. There's a DIY thread here also.

Just in case it is the rack...
Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Vale,
You're talking about the steering column sleeve which slides over the shaft in your picture right?
Look at the teeth and compare to the slots in the sleeve. There are a view ways to slide them together but only one w/o play. Mine had epoxy all the way around, did your mechanic remove it? You can purchase this linkage new for around 150.- Euro at your local Porsche dealership.
Ed
Old 07-12-2017, 09:21 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Vale,
You're talking about the steering column sleeve which slides over the shaft in your picture right?
Look at the teeth and compare to the slots in the sleeve. There are a view ways to slide them together but only one w/o play. Mine had epoxy all the way around, did your mechanic remove it? You can purchase this linkage new for around 150.- Euro at your local Porsche dealership.
Ed
Hi Ed, is the above part what the steering wheel is attached to?
If yes and the play is lateral movement in the column, not rotational play I dealt with this once on an 86' Carrera where a sleeve/bushing around the column was plastic and broke down making for a wobbly steering wheel. I ordered the 928 sleeve made of steel pushed the old sleeve down the column out of the way and slipped the steel 928 sleeve in its place. Problem solved! I suspect the column design is identical on a 993 so if this is the issue there is an easy fix.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Valego46
Track Day

Thanks guys for replying! EckFe1 you got the piece correctly! Apparently the teeth are aluminium made while the sleeve in the shaft are steel, so is quite common the aluminium worns out before and some micro gap forms in between.
With a good cleaning and some grease you can fixe the hassle.... but I would like to have a long term and "solid" solution.
Here in Italy the Porsche dealer and Rose Passion (leader in Europe for porsche parts) since sometimes sell the whole steering rack.....as you can see in attached pic. I would need actually only the lower piece.
Maybe in the States only one part is still available...if so I could have it shipped or get it myself since I travel overseas quite often.
Not sure the 928 fits into the 993 shaft
I hope I was able to explain....plenty of new terms for me!
Thanks so much for your help guys! Porsche really great and nice community!
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm reasonably sure the splines are not your issue they have a pretty tight tolerance , the issue is likely the U-joint or swivel at the middle of the two pieces..!
I would check the movement in this piece and see if it can be removed , I doubt it but I recently replaced an entire column for worn splines at the top the other end !
I believe I may still have the remaining piece you need , you can have it far cheaper
and available now , let me know thanks Bert
Old 01-21-2018, 08:29 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Vale: I find I have the same symptoms as you, a little bit of rotational play in the steering wheel.

Ed: do you have a part number for the u-joint spline front piece? The E-parts only shows 993 347 059 50 as the entire column for $1200+. Do you have a P/N for front spline part?

Old 01-22-2018, 01:46 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Loctite makes some products that may fix/solve the problem depending on how bad the wear is.

http://sds.loctite.com/us/content_da...F_LR881364.pdf

obviously if it is severely worn, there is a risk of shearing, but if it is just some play, I would go with one of the products designed to fill the gaps. 660 would be my front line choice.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by budge96
I'm reasonably sure the splines are not your issue they have a pretty tight tolerance , the issue is likely the U-joint or swivel at the middle of the two pieces..!
I would check the movement in this piece and see if it can be removed , I doubt it but I recently replaced an entire column for worn splines at the top the other end !
I believe I may still have the remaining piece you need , you can have it far cheaper
and available now , let me know thanks Bert
When I did my front steering update I noticed the lower splines are very well constructed with tight tolerances between the male and female. I had to drop the rack out and made the mistake of not marking where it lined up before doing so. In the WSM it says there are markers that tell you. I think on the older racks/columns they do... on my 97 they were non-existent. Through trial and error eventually found the right combination that once I found it easily slid together into a tight interface with zero play. I can't imagine a "thunk" from this.

Like the poster mentioned are you sure the "play" is not somewhere else? And are you sure it is the steering column? Have you confirmed...

1. Tie rods ok?
2. Control arm bushings ok?
3. Control arm ball joints ok?
4. Steering rack bushing clamps ok?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Valego46
Track Day

IainM unfortunately unlike in the past nowadays is not possible to buy only the upper part with the splines..... so there is not part number for it. Need to buy the all column and it is expensive....maybe not worth it for this little annoying problem that actually can be feel only stationary and at low speed.
I just put some grease but it absolutely a temporary solution for few weeks, not good.
I will definitely try that loctite product, thanks Evilfij for posting.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Here is a used one... I bought a used part from them in the past and it was as advertised.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-98-Porsc...item5674ab3afc
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
When I did my front steering update I noticed the lower splines are very well constructed with tight tolerances between the male and female. I had to drop the rack out and made the mistake of not marking where it lined up before doing so. In the WSM it says there are markers that tell you. I think on the older racks/columns they do... on my 97 they were non-existent. Through trial and error eventually found the right combination that once I found it easily slid together into a tight interface with zero play. I can't imagine a "thunk" from this.

Like the poster mentioned are you sure the "play" is not somewhere else? And are you sure it is the steering column? Have you confirmed...

1. Tie rods ok?
2. Control arm bushings ok?
3. Control arm ball joints ok?
4. Steering rack bushing clamps ok?
As the other posters pointed out.... are you sure you located the 'play' in the part. I would think it would be substantial if you were hearing clack, clack when you turned the steering wheel left/right.
There are many parts that work together in the steering system, suspension, front wheels. Your mechanic may have to dig deeper...

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Loose steering wheel/column