Sponsored by:

Need opinions on results of PPI

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 11:08 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts
Post Need opinions on results of PPI

This is also on the 993TT board but I am posting here due to heavier traffic....

My friend (an experienced Porsche technician) performed a PPI on a 96 993TT. 28K miles. I wanted (still want) the car but need advise from others on how to interpret some PPI observations.
- about 6-8 oz of oil drained from the intercooler upon removal.
- about 6-8 additional oz of oil drained from the passenger side turbo when we removed the (excuse my ignorance here) turbo intake hose.
- the driver side turbo exhibited a few signs of leakage but no oil drained out as on the other turbo.
- compression on 4 cylinders was at 145-150 which is normal. 2 cyls were low, in the 115 range.
- leak down also failed on these same two cyls.

Both my friend and the service manager believe the results were due to carbon buildup on the valves. My friend indicated that the carbon may or may not flake off and if it did not would lead to premature valve "burning" etc.

Anyone want to comment or help me out? I am just looking for a few more folks to tell me to "run away" to finally rid my mind of this car.

Thanks to all.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:00 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,

I think many people would recommend walking away from a car that is not perfect and I
generally feel the same way. However, lets be practical. If the car has original paint, no accidents and is in otherwise mint condition: Is the asking price low enough to cover top end and turbo work? You have a good friend who can advise you on this.

My advice is, don’t get emotional about the car. Be practical. There are other cars in
better condition and maybe at a better price. Be patient, take your time and expect a big discount on an imperfect car.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny AZ
Old 01-13-2002, 03:21 AM
B-Line home
Racer

If the car is coming from a Porsche Authorized dealer, I would have them certify it and give you a 1 year warranty.
If it's a private buy.. Don't have much advice there.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:58 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Chris,

After thinking about your dilema more, I think that even if you have to pay for the 5 year warranty they offered, you are still getting a good price on the car. What about negotiating a little more becouse of the questions and then you know the warranty will fix any future problems. I would have Jim read every word of the warranty to make sure it does cover the problems associated with the two cylinders, and if it does, there you go.

Just one man's opinion though.

E. J.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

E.J. is right...make sure the possibility of having to replace those leaking valves is anticipated and fully coverd. I recently "failed" a leak-down on one
cylinder. A burned valve was found. $5,000 later, it's again smooth and strong.
My wallet, however, has developed a hiccough.
Be cafeful and be sure.

Tom
Old 01-13-2002, 10:37 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Thanks to you all for the feedback.

Regarding the Porsche 1 year warranty, it is my belief that in order to obtain this warranty the car must pass either the compression or leak down (cant remember which) but in either case this car won't.

There is a fairly good 4 year/60K mile (from date of purchase) service contract but as with most of these it is limited and my feeling is that they would try to avoid paying a claim. HOWEVER - that being said, I can't believe the cost - only about $2500 for 4 years and 60k on a 993TT! Of course you probably get what you pay for here...

Without much negotiating and before uncovering these troubles, the car was avail for $72.5K. Top end work, would not be covered by the service contract and if needed, would be $2500 or so. (My technician is reasonable!)

So, there we are. 80-90% sure I wont go thru with it, but always like input.

Chris
Old 01-13-2002, 01:13 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Hey Chris,

I don't have a specific warranty company to suggest to you but I have been told that there are some good ones out there that do pay claims. I have not yet heard of anyone having a problem having a claim paid either.
Truth is, most people get extended warranties than never have a problem. My friend who owns a porsch shop says he knows a couple guys with extended warranties.
Most have never had a problem. The ones that did have mechanical problems, the repair was expensive and worth the policy because they paid it.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts
Chris;

In regards to the oil in the intercooler and side tubes, this indicates a failure in one or both turbo's. Oil in the intake tract is one of the first signs to check for a failing turbo. What was the leakdown percentage on those two cylinders. The tech should have noted where the air was going Exhaust-Intake-or Crankcase (rings)?
Old 01-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Chris,

Sounds like you better stick with the durability of a NA 993. Whats this talk about a warranty on a track car? Warranties are for toasters (Clint Eastwood). Make a as/is deal based on your inspection and fix it. See you at VIR. Happy '02!
Old 01-13-2002, 04:10 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Kevin:

I forget what the actual leak down % was. Maybe 70%(?) whereas the good cyls were 98-100%. Needless to say it was "not good" per my technician/friend.

Bill:

I hear you on the logic behind the purchase. The 993TT would not have been a track car (well, maybe one - two days per year) since I have my eye on a dedicated track car. I can only promise that whatever I get will be at least one notch up from the 996 I had! I have set a personal goal to own and drive a car to consistent 1:59 lap times at VIR by the end of 03.

See you soon

Chris
Old 01-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Brown:
<STRONG>

I have set a personal goal to own and drive a car to consistent 1:59 lap times at VIR by the end of 03.

See you soon

Chris</STRONG>
You better put some rocket boosters on what ever machine you end up with. That is hauling! Good Luck with your goal and selecting a new ride to replace the 996.
Greg
Old 01-13-2002, 10:11 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Chris Brown:
<STRONG>I have set a personal goal to own and drive a car to consistent 1:59 lap times at VIR by the end of 03.</STRONG>
Holy Crap, I thought my goal of a race car in 3 years was aggressive.

E. J.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:54 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Well, guys - I was just about ready to post a message saying "to those who know me - Dont laugh" but Im too late --

1:59 is not unobtainable. I believe the car I'm looking at will be good for 2:06 with race rubber. Then, adding the rocket boosters and the nitrous will get me to 2:00. If I go on a diet and get down to 170 lbs from the current 210 then thre you are, a 1:59.90!!

See you guys soon!

CB

Quick Reply: Need opinions on results of PPI