Sponsored by:

Prospective new Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 03:12 AM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Prospective new Porsche owner

Hello everone I am new to both Porsches and this board. I spent several hours reading back posts and appreciate members knowledge and helpfulness. Here is my situation: after a 2 month search for a low mileage 993 silver Cab I located a 1998 with 4600 miles at an exotic car (non Porsche) dealer in Florida.
Car came from one of their well known customers who owns 8 other sportscars. Condition is stated as flawless and a CarFax confirmed clear title and mileage(3000 accumulated since 12/00). I live in California and can not practically check the car out personally. Negotiated price was well under value based on KBB or Edmunds. I was the high bidder on EBay but did not make reserve. Subsequently made deal over phone for a little over my top bid and left 1000 deposit with a credit card. I am in the process of arranging enclosed carrier shipping to CA.

Am I being naive to trust the dealer who appears straight forward? Obviously I have never purchased a car this way and normally would consider myself a conservative consumer. The dealer is located in Fort Myers, FL. Any advice or insights into this type of transaction would be greatly appreciated. I Look forward to being a participant of the fine forum.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:15 AM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Do you know any Porsche mechanics personally? Good practice is to have them do a once over for a fee.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:31 AM
DrZ
Racer

Does anyone know anyone who could do a PPI in Fort Myers, Florida?
Old 01-13-2002, 08:02 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you could take it to the nearest porsche dealer(I don't know the area, put the dealer should know).

Damn, if it was closer, I could take a look.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:43 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>Damn, if it was closer, I could take a look.</STRONG>
Come on FF, it's just across alligator alley. Might be a good opportunity to blast the carbon off the injectors.

I am sure there is a dealer on that side of the state. I think you should have someone else look at the car.
E. J.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts
Hi Doc:

I purchased a car long distance this year. Some thoughts:

1. Never trust the dealer--some very small actions on your part could save you $$$ in a worst-case scenario
2. You need a mechanical PPI--call and find the local P-car dealer and arrange to have
them do an inspection. At a minimum, ask the dealer for a fax of the car's service history/records
3. Think about a body shop PPI
4. Post a new topic on this board here asking for pre-purchase help from someone in the Fort Meyers area. Rennlisters usually band together to check out cars

Good luck. Car could be cherry, or it could have 3 repainted fenders and leaky seals or valve problems from such low mileage.

Chris C.
98 Carrera S
Old 01-13-2002, 11:31 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>

Come on FF, it's just across alligator alley. Might be a good opportunity to blast the carbon off the injectors.

I am sure there is a dealer on that side of the state. I think you should have someone else look at the car.
E. J.</STRONG>
If I only could find out the way to know when Police patrols aren't out, that would really make carbon burn

Quick Reply: Prospective new Porsche owner