Sponsored by:

Investment car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Investment car

http://www.parkhaus1.com/detail-1998...-15374036.html

I have some disposable money and rather than keep it in the bank Im thinking of buying a 993. Its a way of using my money and having fun with it as well.

This car has me intrigued. I need opinions please.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

This is not an investment grade car. Lightly optioned - geez the MSRP was $5k less than my '97 C2. Not a very desirable car IMO and will not appreciate in value. Love the "highly desirable" 17" wheel option spin. Who writes this bs?

Besides not being anything special the car looks relatively unloved. Looks like an aftermarket amp taking up half the trunk, dash gauges rubber surrounds are falling apart, dirty engine bay, even the paint code sticker is gouged - how does an owner manage that?

My opinion? Wait for something better and put your money in a Vanguard S&P index fund.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems very nice but "investment".....who knows? S models have had a wild run for the last three years or so, so expect pricing to be very high indeed. Good luck
Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mike cap
This is not an investment grade car. Lightly optioned - geez the MSRP was $5k less than my '97 C2. Not a very desirable car IMO and will not appreciate in value. Love the "highly desirable" 17" wheel option spin. Who writes this bs?

Besides not being anything special the car looks relatively unloved. Looks like an aftermarket amp taking up half the trunk, dash gauges rubber surrounds are falling apart, dirty engine bay, even the paint code sticker is gouged - how does an owner manage that?

My opinion? Wait for something better and put your money in a Vanguard S&P index fund.
Thank you. This is just exactly what I needed to hear.

No more stock market for me. Im done. If I spend my hard earned money it will be on Porschii.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Not a very desirable car IMO and will not appreciate in value.

Looks like an aftermarket amp taking up half the trunk, dash gauges rubber surrounds are falling apart, dirty engine bay, even the paint code sticker is gouged - how does an owner manage that?
not sure if serious

- its an S, it will be worth more than your C2 all day long
- that 'amp' would be the stock air pump kit
- rubber trim rings are a greasy reflection from dressing i think
Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Never buy a toy as a potential investment. Buy what you like and enjoy it and hopefully your choice will appreciate over time. If it doesn't, you've enjoyed your "investment".

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Good luck on your hunt. The paradox we see often, is that a car's value starts to escalate, and then the owner becomes "scared/concerned" to drive it because it's now "worth so much money" and a potential risk.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good luck on your hunt. The paradox we see often, is that a car's value starts to escalate, and then the owner becomes "scared/concerned" to drive it because it's now "worth so much money" and a potential risk.
http://www.gearsmotorsports.com/14Po...iv_816884.html

Thought about this as well but hate the seats. Just like my 997...uncomfortable over a period of time.

I drive my 356 often and intend to do the same with next Porsche. Tired of driving my truck out.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

With only 2x,xxx miles the Mobile 1 sticker is missing in the engine bay? Why do the bezel's on the instrument cluster look beat up ? I would look at a 964 Turbo first then 993 turbo then the NA S cars.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

IMHO, if my car doesn't lose 10% of what I paid for it annually, it's already a good buy. If it holds its value then it is a great buy and if it appreciates more than what I get from the bank then it is better use of my cash than leaving it in the bank. Having said that, I also look at how much I pay per mile during my ownership from the cost of insurance, registration and maintenance and my way of "investment" is to get more joy out of it by driving the car more. I'm paying roughly $1/mile for the last 2.5 yrs for my 993 now.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
not sure if serious

- its an S, it will be worth more than your C2 all day long
- that 'amp' would be the stock air pump kit
- rubber trim rings are a greasy reflection from dressing i think
ha,
seriously. Someone who comments on the collectability of cars should know something about them.

that looks like a nice clean car.

Investment? no chance. If you drive it, the value drops. You'll have to fix at least a few grand worth of stuff. Insurance!

If you are just looking for a store of value, this might do ok. Appreciating further into the future...not for a while.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
With only 2x,xxx miles the Mobile 1 sticker is missing in the engine bay? Why do the bezel's on the instrument cluster look beat up ? I would look at a 964 Turbo first then 993 turbo then the NA S cars.
Its the rubber gasket behind the bezels and it looks like it has powder of some sort on them.

i'm sure they would clean up fine.

Seems like some hints of jealousy here.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I don't know. It looks like a good car FROM THE PICTURES, which obviously can be deceiving. It's hard to say about the gauges and the wear around them.

I think it's great having these cars but they need to be driven. Buying them as an investment to never drive them is a shame and not great mechanically for the car.

Are you close by to go and have a look at it? I would suggest to go and look at as many as you can and you begin to get a good impression of the cars. I bought mine sight unseen but it was from a verified - certified PCA member enthusiast. He included tins of Porsche mints with the purchase! So I bought the owner...

Good luck on your hunt. IMO it's actually as much fun and the actual ownership...
Old 12-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Air-cooled values have done nothing but declined in 2016. The asking price on that car is stuck in the 2015 frenzy price run-up period. If that car was on BringATrailer today, its auction probably wouldn't even reach six-figures.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Pat, it looks like a really sweet car to me. It's a desirable exterior and interior color and has low miles. If I had $130,000 that I could spend on a car, I'd consider this one.

As for it being a fun investment that you plan on driving on a regular/semi-regular basis, I'm sure you know that the value drops the more you drive it, to which I say "Who cares?" You'll still have a classic car that has a high probability of being worth more in the next ten years.

Quick Reply: Investment car