Sponsored by:

Investment car

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:43 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
If you read my post I was making the point that the car is not "investment grade" - in response to the OP's specific question.

One reason is that it has virtually no options and is not very desirable to collectors for that reason. I never said that my C2 was worth more - I was comparing original MSRP's. My car was $74k 'ish when new and this one was five grand less. That's C2 to C2S - so it's REALLY lightly optioned.
With all due respect, you and many others here are missing the point. First off to address your comments, don't conflate MSRP/options to value. "Less is more" quite often; hence the premium of the RSA to its C2 counterpart. Lots of bloated 993 MSRP's with supple leather, aero kits, bat phones, etc., which add little value to the car. The market has already determined that the C2S, with it's low 2 year US production run of 1752 (759/993), RWD, last of the air cooled, split grill, wide body, etc. is worth a premium (and has overtaken the C4S within the past few years). Typically speaking in a down market the best of breed lose value less and in an up market they increase more.

With respect to the silver/black example at Parkhaus1, the asking price is fair. If any dealer doesn't ask 5-10% above what they would expect, then they don't do their job well. So with 993 examples offered in the "last" air cooled year, let's whittle it down. Some were tiptronics; many had interiors other than black (tan, blue, grey, red, etc); exterior colors less desirable than silver include red, black, white, arena red; some had aero kit options; many were exported to europe or elsewhere; some were totalled and converted to race cars; this example is a one owner, original paint with sub 25k miles.

How many examples from the original 993 are left that are in this class? I'd put the number at less than 100. $120 (ask) is the new $80 in my book. I'd say Al from Parkhaus has it right....and it ends up selling between $108-115k.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:36 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,017 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I love these cars and will most likely own another S or C2 at some point in the future. Buying anything at the top of the market is dangerous. I won't put another dime in the market until it corrects. The same thing here.
This is pure speculation on your behalf. What makes you think it's at the "top" of the market? I would speculate that there is a very good chance that the price of a desirable 993 will double in the next five years. They check all of the boxes for a highly collectable car. We shall see.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

So if $129k is a fair asking price what would would ask for the same exact car in Riviera Blue or Pastel Yellow? Parkhaus1 shoots for the moon on all their asking prices, but then again offers buy cars. They do seem to buy/sell only high quality P-cars.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great to me.
1-owner with lsd.
low miles.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:07 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, this is a much better deal than the original subject car.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7756/overview/

That assumes a clean carfax, and everything is updated and working properly. Add hardbacks, and it would be a nice car to have and hold.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
So if $129k is a fair asking price what would would ask for the same exact car in Riviera Blue or Pastel Yellow.
Riviera Blue + 15%
Pastel Yellow - 10%

Old 12-16-2016, 06:28 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
This is pure speculation on your behalf. What makes you think it's at the "top" of the market? I would speculate that there is a very good chance that the price of a desirable 993 will double in the next five years. They check all of the boxes for a highly collectable car. We shall see.
Everything that everyone says is purely speculative. We have not discovered time travel yet, have we? I'd prefer to speculate especially considering that the air cooled market has already doubled in the last 36 months. You can burn your money and buy up all the cars you want waiting for the market to double again. I won't be following you, I love my money way too much...
Old 12-16-2016, 06:33 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the pics, it looks like a fantastic car. Odd pics of the gauge trim rings, and the wheels and front license plate holes look a little rough. But all in all, a great looking car. Not sure about it being "collector quality" though.

But I would never pay $130k for it...
Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Buy a HellCat Challenger and put it away...
Old 12-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Buy a HellCat Challenger and put it away...
Boring after the first 10 tanks and 4 sets of tires.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:38 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 284 Posts

"....exterior colors less desirable than silver include red, black..." I represent that!
Old 12-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Boring after the first 10 tanks and 4 sets of tires.
No kidding.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:22 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

The rubber ring discolors. You can rub your finger on it and it'll turn black again.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:26 PM
dandyw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Points...
I'm taking a similar path as you, however I've been looking at 964's predominantly because I felt 993's hit a high watermark. I'm actually looking at a lower price point than you however. It's been challenging to find a suitable 964, however lately I've been running into some interesting 993's. Not too long ago a 993 C4S was "the car" to me.
The notion of an investment car in the later model Porsche market at a $50-$100K is a bit of an illusion in my opinion. I admit I could be wrong. At best, if you buy well, you get an asset that either depreciates
slower, maintains its value, or if you're really lucky, has a shot at appreciating...
What you do get, however is something you can enjoy the heck out of. That is worth its weight in gold!
I'll find my car, enjoy it, and if its more valuable when I choose to sell, then good. If it declines in value, I'm willing to take the risk...
As for that particular car, it seems priced for all the money. Your money, your decision.
Good luck on your journey. There are many helpful people on this forum...
Old 12-22-2016, 06:41 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by dandyw
Points...
I'm taking a similar path as you, however I've been looking at 964's predominantly because I felt 993's hit a high watermark. I'm actually looking at a lower price point than you however. It's been challenging to find a suitable 964, however lately I've been running into some interesting 993's. Not too long ago a 993 C4S was "the car" to me.
The notion of an investment car in the later model Porsche market at a $50-$100K is a bit of an illusion in my opinion. I admit I could be wrong. At best, if you buy well, you get an asset that either depreciates
slower, maintains its value, or if you're really lucky, has a shot at appreciating...
What you do get, however is something you can enjoy the heck out of. That is worth its weight in gold!
I'll find my car, enjoy it, and if its more valuable when I choose to sell, then good. If it declines in value, I'm willing to take the risk...
As for that particular car, it seems priced for all the money. Your money, your decision.
Good luck on your journey. There are many helpful people on this forum...
Yeah Im still looking. It could be awhile. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Investment car