993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardback seats custom made $5.5k

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017 | 10:09 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Again, since they're now $6,900 a pop all-in for these aftermarket reproduction seats, why not source real OEM seats for the same price....or less....from a US based known Rennlister with a stellar reputation?

Hard to see the allure now that the price has gone up so much and he's MIA on customer service and long turnaround times....no?
Old 02-07-2017 | 08:03 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Yes agree
Old 02-07-2017 | 09:59 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
At this point, nothing in this for me, other than to set expectations with Rennlisters about my experience.
Thanks for posting this.

Contacted him two weeks ago and he got back to me same day with a quote of $5900 Euros incl. shipping and a 12-15 week wait time.

The lack of communication after getting your deposit 6 months ago is concerning.

As a manufacturer with little or no finished goods who builds things to order, it's a great problem to have. But we would never leave even the smallest order sitting out there without communicating with the customer if there was a problem with our fulfillment promise.

Hopefully things work out and your seats arrive soon!
Old 02-07-2017 | 03:55 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Academictech
Thanks for posting this.

Contacted him two weeks ago and he got back to me same day with a quote of $5900 Euros incl. shipping and a 12-15 week wait time.
Interesting. I was quoted at around the same time 5900€ PLUS 200€ shipping. 15-18 week wait time.
Old 02-07-2017 | 04:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

I know these are sold, but here's a comp on some real OEM hard back sport seats that sold a few months ago. A nice pair of OEM seats seem to come up on Rennlist fairly often too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ort-seats.html

Seems like paying the same price, or more, for aftermarket seats when you can buy OEM for the same price or less might not be the best move for everyone
Old 02-07-2017 | 06:36 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I know these are sold, but here's a comp on some real OEM hard back sport seats that sold a few months ago. A nice pair of OEM seats seem to come up on Rennlist fairly often too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ort-seats.html

Seems like paying the same price, or more, for aftermarket seats when you can buy OEM for the same price or less might not be the best move for everyone
Right after I left the used car factory and ordered my sunroof delete Riviera Blue 993 with LSD, rear seat delete and 3.8 powerkit, I surfed over to the used parts factory and got me some wicked awesome manual heated sport seats.

Have you seen Waldemars seats? They are basically like new. Plus you get to choose your leather color, seat backs painted, crest on headrest, etc. To many it seems like a good option compared to what's out there (or more precisely what isn't out there).
Old 02-07-2017 | 06:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Have you seen Waldemars seats? They are basically like new.
Yes, they are terrific looking. They are also aftermarket replicas. And with Waldemar's recent price changes and slow turnaround, they are now probably as expensive, or even more perhaps, than real OEM hardback sport seats in great condition.

Also, with Waldemar's at least 6 month waiting period, someone might be able to find a really nice set of OEM seats in that time period. For less money. And sooner.

Many on here prefer OEM to knockoffs. Especially if the real deal authentics can be sourced faster and for less money.

OEM hardbacks come up for sale here and elsewhere fairly regularly. I just posted a comp to give an idea of price/quality for OEM vs. Waldemar.

At Waldemar's original $5,500 price, a case could be made that new aftermarket seats made sense vs. OEM. Hard to find pristine OEM at that price. But at a shade under $7,000, maybe not so much of a deal anymore.

We also know how OEM seats tend to hold up after 20 years of use. Waldermar? Hey, at least he's close by and has great customer service...right?

Caveat emptor
Old 02-07-2017 | 07:37 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7

Have you seen Waldemars seats? They are basically like new.
IMHO, maybe to the untrained eye.

Waldemar uses his newly reproduced backs with standard seat bottom foams.

To note, when looking at the PET, Porsche used the same part number for both sport/standard leather seat cover bottoms but different seat bottom foams for each. Real sport seats have higher bottom edge bolsters as well as a not as firm center seat section. Or maybe the higher edge bolsters give the sensation of a softer center. At least that has been my experience.

Also, the leather he uses is a split grain (more common, less expensive) modern style embossed grain rather than full-top grain OEM leather.

Still, not a bad product and it satisfies the perceived need.

Regards,

Old 02-08-2017 | 05:50 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Are folks actually sending money away for these reproduction seats at the $6,900 level plus shipping? And willing to wait 6 months?
Old 02-08-2017 | 09:50 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

I did/am. Waldemar had a tough 2016 and I am OK with letting him get set again. However, I do hope to get the seats soon, and in a Porsche hide.
Old 02-08-2017 | 11:20 PM
L39E
Rennlist Member

Again, since they're now $6,900 a pop all-in for these aftermarket reproduction seats, why not source real OEM seats for the same price....or less....from a US based known Rennlister with a stellar reputation?
I was in the market for a set of hardbacks and I might have bought a set from Waldemar as I could get them ready to install with painted backs, crests, and maybe heat. The seats look fantastic, but I found a used OEM set from a Rennlister instead

Last edited by L39E; 02-19-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2017 | 04:21 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

And who is this mythical creature that you speak of?
Old 02-09-2017 | 05:00 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

From pics I've Seen Waldemars seats have a much durable leather thats has more of a matte finish to it. Try finding a set of Sport seats with no leather cracking issue for the same price. The best OEM sport seats are all in low mileage 993s that you wont see for sale.

If your trying to make your car 100% stock, then getting OEM sport seats is a no brainer. If your buying strictly on quality and look then I'd go for Waldemars.

Waldemars seat

Your typical OEM sport seat you see for sale
Old 02-09-2017 | 05:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
And who is this mythical creature that you speak of?
I posted a set that were for sale a few months ago. 993 Hardbacks come up for sale fairly often in the For Sale section. Here were some nice OEM 993 Hardbacks with power and heat for $6,500: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ort-seats.html

Originally Posted by nr1416
From pics I've Seen Waldemars seats have a much durable leather....If your buying strictly on quality and look then I'd go for Waldemars.
How can you know from pics how durable a leather is? Someone here just said the leather he uses isn't as high quality as OEM. Also...how can one speak of durability when he's only been making them for a short while? We know how OEM seats fare after 20 years of use. How can any one attest to what Waldemar's replica seat will look like after 20 years? Will they hold up after 20 years like the OEM seats? We have no data on that.

Also, one can find pics of ratty 993 seats, for certain. The comp set of OEM seats I posted a link to looked to be in good shape and were less expensive than the aftermarket sets. Here they are again, power seats with heat, too!: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ort-seats.html

Hey, everyone is welcome to spend their own money the way they see fit. All I'm suggesting is now that Waldemar's prices are 30% higher than they were when this thread was created, why not try and get the real thing, for less?

For $6,900, one can still find a really nice set of OEM Hardbacks. Might take a while to find, but maybe less than the 6 months you'll wait to get the aftermarket replicas
Old 02-09-2017 | 05:20 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Wasn't Carnewal selling brand new OEM HB's for $20,000 not that long ago. I checked and they're now NLA. Now, I'm wondering if Porsche Classique (or whatever they call it) will eventually be offering more than just oil and shocks.

Quick Reply: Hardback seats custom made $5.5k