Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardback seats custom made $5.5k

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017 | 05:23 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBen
Mine is the set on the right (cashmere with painted backs to match exterior).
Ben,

Very nice! I'd like to see them sometime perhaps we can meet up.

What's the weight of these seats?
Old 01-31-2017 | 06:51 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Yes and yes (to the last two responses).

Went with 4 way power and manual everything else. It was less costly and I figured less to possibly go wrong in the years to come while also saving a bit of weight.

Re weight - I haven't officially weighed these seats but I felt I could more easily pick up the hardbacks. The lack of power motors has to have something to do with it.

Pics of them installed coming soon. They are already installed, just haven't taken pics.
Old 01-31-2017 | 08:20 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBen
Pics of them installed coming soon. They are already installed, just haven't taken pics.
You know what they say on RL Ben, "if there's no pics, they don't exist!"

Won't believe you until I see a pic or I stop by and actually see them.
Old 02-01-2017 | 02:07 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Hope this satisfies everyone. Pics of the installed seats.

*sorry - today I'm sick with the flu, but more impressions as I get more seat time.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2017 | 03:41 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

^^ Unacceptable, must include more pictures seats.... lets see the back of the seats. show them off!
Old 02-01-2017 | 04:12 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Is there any significant difference (comfort, lateral support) between 993 HB Sport Seats and 996 HB Sport Seats?

I see the shape of the HB is slightly different, and the seat and back stitching is different. Wondering about any real world difference.

Thanks...
Old 02-01-2017 | 11:39 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

One piece of advice for those that ordered these seats in the last month or so. Make sure you are clear on timing expectations and stay on top of communications. I provided a deposit (several thousand dollars) back in September of 2016. By February, still no seats. I have ordered bespoke items in the past, and sometimes you just have to resign to get them when you get them. So I am ok with long waits and delays, etc. But in this case, keep in mind that you are wiring a lot of money overseas with little/no recourse. The worksmanship is fantastic, I have no doubt about the quality of the seats. But I do believe that there have been some changes as a result of demand, volume, changing shops, health issues, etc. I am not sure. I got a lot of different answers and stories as to why the delay. But only when I asked. Never a communication proactively. At almost 6 months, and no seats, when original estimate was 3-4 months, I asked for a refund. Still waiting for it, holding my breath. I would have rather had the seats, but started getting very nervous. Your mileage may vary, not trying to create drama, but I have been on rennlist since 2004 and always feel the need to weigh in on my experiences when they are extreme in either direction - positive or negative.
Old 02-02-2017 | 12:09 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Mine took about 6 months to arrive. September order, March arrival.
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:44 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
One piece of advice for those that ordered these seats in the last month or so. Make sure you are clear on timing expectations and stay on top of communications. I provided a deposit (several thousand dollars) back in September of 2016. By February, still no seats. I have ordered bespoke items in the past, and sometimes you just have to resign to get them when you get them. So I am ok with long waits and delays, etc. But in this case, keep in mind that you are wiring a lot of money overseas with little/no recourse. The worksmanship is fantastic, I have no doubt about the quality of the seats. But I do believe that there have been some changes as a result of demand, volume, changing shops, health issues, etc. I am not sure. I got a lot of different answers and stories as to why the delay. But only when I asked. Never a communication proactively. At almost 6 months, and no seats, when original estimate was 3-4 months, I asked for a refund. Still waiting for it, holding my breath. I would have rather had the seats, but started getting very nervous. Your mileage may vary, not trying to create drama, but I have been on rennlist since 2004 and always feel the need to weigh in on my experiences when they are extreme in either direction - positive or negative.
good info. Thanks for sharing. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Old 02-02-2017 | 01:50 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Is there any significant difference (comfort, lateral support) between 993 HB Sport Seats and 996 HB Sport Seats?

I see the shape of the HB is slightly different, and the seat and back stitching is different. Wondering about any real world difference.

Thanks...
In my personal opinion (and reading many other comments seems the majority opinion here), the 996 hardbacks are more ergonomic and supportive relative to the 993 HBs. I actually have a set of 996 HBs (currently not installed in the 993) and ridden in 993 HBs, and hands down to me at least (5'11" / 185 lbs) they (996) are a lot more comfortable and supportive (especially on longer road trips). The issue of course for most ppl is they are not 'period /platform correct' (obviously) but in terms of value quotient tough to argue (~$2K for 996 HBs vs ~$5/6K 993 HBs).
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:04 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
In my personal opinion (and reading many other comments seems the majority opinion here), the 996 hardbacks are more ergonomic and supportive relative to the 993 HBs. I actually have a set of 996 HBs (currently not installed in the 993) and ridden in 993 HBs, and hands down to me at least (5'11" / 185 lbs) they (996) are a lot more comfortable and supportive (especially on longer road trips). The issue of course for most ppl is they are not 'period /platform correct' (obviously) but in terms of value quotient tough to argue (~$2K for 996 HBs vs ~$5/6K 993 HBs).
Just to add, I was on the fence to order and ultimately did not. I was quoted from Waldemar 5900€ + 200€ shipping. 400€ over last years pricing at 5500€. So there's no surprises if someone else is ready to pull the trigger on these really nice seats. Bank to bank wire transfers do not use current exact exchange rates at $1.07/€ and will be higher at about $1.116/€ + $40 fee each transfer which equates to a $6900 total delivered.

Last edited by flyingchappy; 02-03-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:22 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Just to add, I was on the fence to order and ultimately did not. I was quoted from Waldemar 5900€ + 200€ shipping. 400€ over last years pricing at 5500€. So there's no surprises if someone else is ready to pull the trigger on these really nice seats. Bank to bank wire transfers do not use current exact exchange rates at $1.07/€ and will be higher at about $1.16/€ which equates to a $6900 total delivered.
Yeah, W- has raised his prices so somewhat negating the relatively stronger $. Of course there are also add-on options depending if ppl want heated function, 4-way vs 8-way, etc. I was using the 5-6K more as a price of used ones I've seen (incl what LA Dismantlers has for sale currently).

Incidentally, I just posted my 996 HBs in the RL for sale forum. Decided not to go that route but stay with my stock sofas
Old 02-03-2017 | 09:49 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
In my personal opinion (and reading many other comments seems the majority opinion here), the 996 hardbacks are more ergonomic and supportive relative to the 993 HBs.
sounds like a good idea but for me the question is - is the 996 seat available in classic gray? For some reason I thought Porsche changed their color names and/or colors when the model changed
Old 02-03-2017 | 11:46 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbf73
sounds like a good idea but for me the question is - is the 996 seat available in classic gray? For some reason I thought Porsche changed their color names and/or colors when the model changed
I personally have not seen a HB 996 seat in classic gray (with Porsche, when it comes to GT interiors generally you can get them in any color as long as it is black ) Now perhaps if someone spec'ed a 996TT with HBs (most are off GT3s hence black) there is a chance to see something other than black, but I haven't seen any myself.

Hence why I ended up getting in black the rear bench/seats to complement the black 996 GT3 HBs and essentially make it a two-tone theme (which in my case works as I have black trim pieces/dash, etc.) - just never ended up doing so and will likely just sell the full interior piece-meal.
Old 02-03-2017 | 01:33 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
which equates to a $6900 total delivered
For $6900, one could source a really nice set of OEM 993 Hardback Sport Seats, no?

Quick Reply: Hardback seats custom made $5.5k