Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
The sales pitch is very good and well thought out. And you had some points in there I hadn't thought about before. I think youre really onto something, especially with all the positive feedback so quickly on this forum.

If you decide to go forward with your idea, which I will assume you are, I would recommend a couple things from the business side. If you want to garner some interest outside of forums, you should really think about a website, even a really simple one through wordpress or other generators. Its amazing how well having a very simple website helps, especially because if I were to show some car friends who arent Porsche guys, I'd have to link this thread which is too much reading. Also, when you have a domain, you can then have a business email instead of a yahoo address, which just looks good. You can use Gmail to host your domain and create an email address with your domain, e.g. XXXX@rennstand.com or similar. I'm sure youve thought about these things before, but a website sooner than later would be helpful in my mind.

Also, I'm a structural engineer specializing in durability, i.e. destroying metal things in different ways. If you dont have a test plan yet and would like to bounce ideas off of someone for free, feel free to PM me.

Good luck, i love new product ideas especially when its a 1-man show and has some passion behind it.
Very great of you to offer to assist, and I really appreciate that! Actually it's my intention to take the production version (whenever that happens) and try to flatten it to see just how strong it really is, so I would love to discuss that with you!

Admittedly I really haven't been focused on the business side of things which I'm just starting to put effort into now, and you made some excellent points about needing a website and having a dedicated e-mail address. So true. I need to get on that asap. What I have so far is the domain name, rennstand.com, so I should definitely be putting that to use soon, especially now that the idea is out there.

I'm going to check out wordpress, and thank you for each of those suggestions! They're a great help, as this is really new territory for me.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:51 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Would these lift as high as the 21 inch height of the ESCO stands? I know you can do most all work with a 14 inch height but much more comfortable under the car if lifted higher.
While you are thinking about it, I think you need 29 inches to pull the engine :-)

It would be great if they were priced similarly to ESCO stands ($60 each/$110-$120 a pair)

That is my one big peeve with the jackpoint stands.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:03 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bobbyp
Would these lift as high as the 21 inch height of the ESCO stands? I know you can do most all work with a 14 inch height but much more comfortable under the car if lifted higher.
While you are thinking about it, I think you need 29 inches to pull the engine :-)

It would be great if they were priced similarly to ESCO stands ($60 each/$110-$120 a pair)

That is my one big peeve with the jackpoint stands.
Thanks for your question! The current max height of the prototypes is just over 15", but they can be made to go higher. There would be a weight compromise, as the stands would have to be further reinforced to handle the stresses of the additional leverage to the legs, but it can be done. I am definitely going to take your desire into account when finishing the production model, and I appreciate the input!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
^^^
This. Extra height is a real boon for those of us who don't have space (or spousal approval) for a lift, and have to work lying on a creeper under the car.

Maybe could sell extra-lift extensions as an accessory. Same with adaptors for different pad types.

Awesome idea overall!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:13 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bcameron59
^^^
This. Extra height is a real boon for those of us who don't have space (or spousal approval) for a lift, and have to work lying on a creeper under the car.

Maybe could sell extra-lift extensions as an accessory. Same with adaptors for different pad types.

Awesome idea overall!
I hear you on the spousal approval lol! I appreciate the compliment, and the additional input! I do have a few different adapters for different vehicles, but I will be looking into the possibilities of getting the stands up that high, while still keeping safety as the highest priority. Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:10 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They would be the perfect DIYer stands if they went high enough (with extensions) to allow for an engine drop (or at the very least a transmission drop.)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:11 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Looks like a great idea. Better than the jackpoints in design & adjustability. I would buy them at that suggested price.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
They would be the perfect DIYer stands if they went high enough (with extensions) to allow for an engine drop (or at the very least a transmission drop.)
Definitely taken into consideration! Thank you very much, and best regards!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gavonder
Looks like a great idea. Better than the jackpoints in design & adjustability. I would by them at that suggested price.
Very much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:15 PM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

These look great! One question and a comment:

- Do you have a design limit/load limit? I do not mean to be a d*+^, but how you calculated it, and then how you ensure quality in the build is pretty important. BTW, if you posted this, please forgive the question.

- My daily driver is a Jetta these days, and on both this car and the wife's Beetle Turbo, there is really nor "approved" way to get all four wheels in the air without a lift. You solve this problem!

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to this hitting the market,

Bill
Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BG993
These look great! One question and a comment:

- Do you have a design limit/load limit? I do not mean to be a d*+^, but how you calculated it, and then how you ensure quality in the build is pretty important. BTW, if you posted this, please forgive the question.

- My daily driver is a Jetta these days, and on both this car and the wife's Beetle Turbo, there is really nor "approved" way to get all four wheels in the air without a lift. You solve this problem!

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to this hitting the market,

Bill
No worries at all. I really appreciate the question!

The simulations were done by an engineer from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University using the SolidWorks FEA Simulation software.

The simulations (of the full aluminum model) were conducted using a loading of 6,500 lb at the stands highest setting while on flat, level ground. A friction coefficient of 0.3 for greasy/slippery surfaces was used for the contact between the stand and the ground. The results of the testing demonstrate the stands ability to withstand the ANSI requirement for a safety factor of 3 or greater, therefore giving each stand a safe load rating of 2,000 lb, or 1-ton. Simulations of non-ideal loadings verified that the stand will also be able to safely handle sufficient loads should the stand be misused up to a safety factor of 2, i.e. 4,000 lb., meaning we tested what would happen if, for example, one of the feet came down on a tool accidentally, or just settled on an uneven surface as another example. So even twisted a bit, the stands held 4,000 lbs before even beginning to show the warning signs of structural failure. This was only for the aluminum version, so you could imagine how much stronger they are as an aluminum-steel hybrid, or full steel.

I forgot to emphasize that the above tests were run on a single stand, and not as a pair!

We will run simulation tests again on the production model, and of course practical load tests on the design to make sure they are as strong or stronger than the prototypes. We're going to test them to failure, ie destroy them.

As far as for ultimate quality and build go, the vetting of manufacturers and monitoring quality is a huge priority for me going forward. I would never attempt to sell a stand that I wasn't willing to risk my own life under, and I want to sleep well at night knowing my customers are safe under my stands.

That was a great question, and I'm happy you brought up the concern regarding quality control! I greatly appreciate the compliment as well!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Jackpoint stand - that's the one, but they are $375 to $389/pair!

Incidentally, have you tried fitting your jack stand under the front jacking point on a 993 - there is only about 6 3/4" from center of jacking point to the front tyre!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:53 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by x50type
Yes, Jackpoint stand - that's the one, but they are $375 to $389/pair!

Incidentally, have you tried fitting your jack stand under the front jacking point on a 993 - there is only about 6 3/4" from center of jacking point to the front tyre!

Yep, and not a problem! Here's why:

I angled the ends of the center piece, and then put opposing angles on the ends of the legs that feed into it, allowing you to insert the legs from slightly below the center piece rather than having to feed them in directly from the sides. Ended up with a patent on that too.

Excellent question! Thank you!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

This looks like a very nice solution to me, and I would certainly be interested.

I'm sure there is a practical limit, but I would suggest making the reach as high as possible. (Which you have likely already done.)

Best of luck!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Dryfly57
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the design and the functionality. Simple but well thought out.
I personally would love to see your jack stands increase height your able to raise the car. I'm a buyer

Quick Reply: In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...