Sponsored by:

Installed Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Have my unit installed and works well with one exception. When playing files (podcasts) from a USB stick or SD card, the unit does not keep track of where it left off when the car is shut down and then restarted later. Finding that place where I left off is a major PITA. Is this a problem with my example or a design flaw?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:43 PM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The initial production of series 986 Boxster and 996 Carrera cars were fitted with 1-DIN radios. The early years MY97 thru MY01 utilized the common CDR220 radios, which had both the Euro typical ISO and RCA pre-out connections... I/O's.
Somewhere along the Carrera production years the MOST CAN-bus was introduced, and a specific radio w/CAN-Bus I/O became the standard moving forward...

So, year dependent, use of the newer 2016 Porsche Classic Radio w/ISO connection in a 996 911 Carrera is cause for further investigation ..... $.02
Another option would be to use a Single Din Radio Kit Panel made for a 986/996 and then use the Porsche Classic Radio...
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM
dcamco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The initial production of series 986 Boxster and 996 Carrera cars were fitted with 1-DIN radios. The early years MY97 thru MY01 utilized the common CDR220 radios, which had both the Euro typical ISO and RCA pre-out connections... I/O's.
Somewhere along the Carrera production years the MOST CAN-bus was introduced, and a specific radio w/CAN-Bus I/O became the standard moving forward...

So, year dependent, use of the newer 2016 Porsche Classic Radio w/ISO connection in a 996 911 Carrera is cause for further investigation ..... $.02
Thanks, that makes sense. Mine originally had the CDR220. Might have to give this a shot...
Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

IIRC it was model year 2003 or so which saw the MOST CAN-BUS system architecture implemented. These 996/986's came through with the 1-DIN CDR23 - a pretty straight forward Porsche look or similar 1-DIN CDR220 aesthetic; A 2-DIN Navi head unit was also introduced... Pretty sure the MOST CAN BUS based radio/Navi units must see a MOST CAN BUS hand shake .... FWIW.

Originally Posted by dcamco
Thanks, that makes sense. Mine originally had the CDR220. Might have to give this a shot...
Old 07-05-2016, 03:42 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Have my unit installed and works well with one exception. When playing files (podcasts) from a USB stick or SD card, the unit does not keep track of where it left off when the car is shut down and then restarted later. Finding that place where I left off is a major PITA. Is this a problem with my example or a design flaw?
I will have to try this and report back. I used to use SD cards in a previous vehicle, but have since gone over to Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone. The podcast apps on the phone DO remember where you left off.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by makemann
Yes, you have to order that separately.
Makemann,

Do you know the part number to this harness?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:25 AM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E30M3
Makemann, Do you know the part number to this harness?
No, sorry I don't as I had no need for it, but aren't RCA plugs universal?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:11 AM
coguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E30M3
Makemann, Do you know the part number to this harness?
I used an ISO connector to RCA adapter purchased off of eBay. I don't have a specific part number but the item description was: 1 x Car ISO PIN 6 Adapter mini plug RCA socket x4 Name:  image-1391668147.jpg
Views: 4629
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 07-12-2016, 10:47 AM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by makemann
No, sorry I don't as I had no need for it, but aren't RCA plugs universal?
No worries. RCA cables are universal however the one that I am looking for is specific to the back of the radio with a square male plug.

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 AM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coguy
I used an ISO connector to RCA adapter purchased off of eBay. I don't have a specific part number but the item description was: 1 x Car ISO PIN 6 Adapter mini plug RCA socket x4 Attachment 1070135
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Gleaming da Cube
AutoX

Anyone replace a factory CD-2 head unit with this Porsche classic one? Power connector is not plug and play and not sure what pin to connect the anti-theft(green) wire to. The install instructions don't mention a pin for this wire only power, antenna, ACC, and ground. Can't find the info anywhere so any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-26-2017, 02:15 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Gleaming:

Surprised it is not plug and play. If you have the original harness from the factory, it should be just that. You can PM and send photos of the wiring and I can give better advice. I had to rebuilt my harness to factory and I read up on several posts to make it happen. I need to write up a definitive post that combines all the info into one account. Also, do you have the standard sound system or hi-fi? In the meantime look for a post for installing a Continential radio that Tore sells. There is good information there on the pins and wiring. It applies to the Porsche Classic as well.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Gleaming da Cube
AutoX

will007 thanks for the reply! Trying to get this thing wired up before Luftgekuhlt next week. Yes, my 964 has the factory CD-2(alpine) head unit with an unmolested harness but the CD-2 has a 6-Pin connector where the new unit is 5. I'll be able to rewire a new connector with the parts included in the head unit, but there's no pin for the Anti-Theft wire on the new one and not sure if I can just tap it up and ignore it of it it needs to be wired for the radio system to function. I'll PM you now with pics.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A critical step when enhancing audio playback within an automotive interior environment is signal processing or filtering.

The enhancement of my 993's factory HiFi speaker system/location sings,,, Speech Intelligibility and music fidelity are both greatly enhanced, regardless of volume level. Playback is truly Hi - Fi-del-i-ty exhibiting a vehicle wide, stable, dashboard high stereo image ... Your jaw will drop. Any of the widely available add-on DSP modules suited to 12V automotive applications does the trick. Disregard notions of herculean power levels (watts) or Tiffany priced loud speakers. . . . DSP filtering should be your first stop,, certainly for an automotive interior application. The 911's reflective torrent, acoustically speaking, (from the 360* glass) is unconscionable. The 1st stop in any 993 HiFi enhancement I encourage you - is DSP filtering; Signal Processing. (DSP)
How did you incorporate your DSP into your factory system and what products did you use?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Would love to install this and still contemplating having a professional install done. I have a aftermarket newish Alpine CD unit in there now. I used to do car stereo installation on the side when I was young so I am guessing mine is probably all hacked up knowing from past experience since I didn't install this one. Guessing my harness was cut and hacked.

Quick Reply: Installed Porsche Classic Radio