Sponsored by:

Installed Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:18 AM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Would love to install this and still contemplating having a professional install done. I have a aftermarket newish Alpine CD unit in there now. I used to do car stereo installation on the side when I was young so I am guessing mine is probably all hacked up knowing from past experience since I didn't install this one. Guessing my harness was cut and hacked.
Even if your harness has been all hacked up (as mine was) the radio kit comes with new pins and a plug for you to out back to factory configuration.

I re-pinned mine one by one and now is "plug and play" so to speak.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by E30M3
Even if your harness has been all hacked up (as mine was) the radio kit comes with new pins and a plug for you to out back to factory configuration.

I re-pinned mine one by one and now is "plug and play" so to speak.
Wow! That is great to know! Thanks!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:26 PM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Bumping up an old thread, but looking to purchase this soon. Funny that the USB/iPod connection is now almost obsolete with the new iphones. I probably won't even install those ports. My primary use is really just for streaming via bluetooth. I could care less really for navigation, but the aesthetics of this is what's selling m.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
Bumping up an old thread, but looking to purchase this soon. Funny that the USB/iPod connection is now almost obsolete with the new iphones. I probably won't even install those ports. My primary use is really just for streaming via bluetooth. I could care less really for navigation, but the aesthetics of this is what's selling m.
Aesthetics are great. I really like it. I decided to go with the USB/iPod connection just for phone charging when I need it, otherwise just use the Bluetooth. Occasionally use the nav, but the stylus is better than fingers for that, it's a small screen. I like the British female voice guiding me ;-) Handsfree mic is great, I put it up between my sun visors, nav antenna over on the dash corner in front of passenger. One of the best updates I have done to my 993. Thought about putting one in the Boxster, but that's overkill. I found a nice little cigarette lighter device that connects to the phone with bluetooth, and broadcasts an FM signal. Just fine for phone music (and its hands free calling seems to work fine as well). It was a steal and I'm pleased with it.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:52 PM
synth19
Racer

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Aesthetics are great. I really like it. I decided to go with the USB/iPod connection just for phone charging when I need it, otherwise just use the Bluetooth. Occasionally use the nav, but the stylus is better than fingers for that, it's a small screen. I like the British female voice guiding me ;-) Handsfree mic is great, I put it up between my sun visors, nav antenna over on the dash corner in front of passenger. One of the best updates I have done to my 993. Thought about putting one in the Boxster, but that's overkill. I found a nice little cigarette lighter device that connects to the phone with bluetooth, and broadcasts an FM signal. Just fine for phone music (and its hands free calling seems to work fine as well). It was a steal and I'm pleased with it.
Any photos of your mic location? Good point about charging, but I will probably still opt out of installing the usb ports for a cleaner look. I usually have an emergency portable charger in case of an emergency. With technology changing so fast, I'm glad Bluetooth is still relevant.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:12 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Any photos of your mic location? Good point about charging, but I will probably still opt out of installing the usb ports for a cleaner look. I usually have an emergency portable charger in case of an emergency. With technology changing so fast, I'm glad Bluetooth is still relevant.
We decided to flip the USB/iPod ports upside down, I saw a photo somewhere that had them on top of the center console but then the ashtray doesn't open all the way. I supposed NAV might be better on rear deck, but I don't mind where it is, it works fine, hands free mic works great

I liked they give you a choice between plain black buttons (which would be correct if I didn't have the rings on the gauges), so I decided for the buttons with tasteful silver rings

Old 05-04-2018, 02:20 PM
synth19
Racer

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
We decided to flip the USB/iPod ports upside down, I saw a photo somewhere that had them on top of the center console but then the ashtray doesn't open all the way. I supposed NAV might be better on rear deck, but I don't mind where it is, it works fine, hands free mic works great

I liked they give you a choice between plain black buttons (which would be correct if I didn't have the rings on the gauges), so I decided for the buttons with tasteful silver rings
very tasteful and clean install!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:33 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by codytuc213
Wow that looks great! Mine just came in and I haven't yet installed it, but happy to see actual pictures of it installed! Where did you put the GPS antennas?
It's been a long time since my dash looked that clean!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I just did mine too. I put the other style ***** on as I thought they looked closer to what it is in a 993- the chrome ones are for older 911's, no? Anyway, I placed the USB dock (for charging my phones) in the glovebox, put the Sirius receiver on the passenger side dash with clear view of the sky, and placed the GPS antenna in the passenger side rear window using its build in magnetic properties on the metal window frame. I hid the wire under the window rubber trim and carpets. I separated the antennae as I found that when placed near each other they caused interference.

So far so good- the GPS is awesome and works well- using Sirius in the car is such a bonus too. Ozzy's Boneyard!

Old 05-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Gr8scott
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I just did mine too. I put the other style ***** on as I thought they looked closer to what it is in a 993- the chrome ones are for older 911's, no? Anyway, I placed the USB dock (for charging my phones) in the glovebox, put the Sirius receiver on the passenger side dash with clear view of the sky, and placed the GPS antenna in the passenger side rear window using its build in magnetic properties on the metal window frame. I hid the wire under the window rubber trim and carpets. I separated the antennae as I found that when placed near each other they caused interference.

So far so good- the GPS is awesome and works well- using Sirius in the car is such a bonus too. Ozzy's Boneyard!

That Carbon Fibre looks so good!!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

very tasteful and clean install!
Thanks. I didn't use the Sirius antenna, I don't subscribe. I'm fine with music on my phone.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:59 PM
synth19
Racer

Just ordered mine today, can't wait to install this. Thanks guys for the additional pics and ideas.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:18 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Would love to install this and still contemplating having a professional install done. I have a aftermarket newish Alpine CD unit in there now. I used to do car stereo installation on the side when I was young so I am guessing mine is probably all hacked up knowing from past experience since I didn't install this one. Guessing my harness was cut and hacked.
I also had an Alpine (IDA-X001 with Bluetooth adapter) which I installed after removing the original factory cassette player. I got the Alpine from Crutchfield, and they provided an adapter harness, so no hacking was necessary... maybe you have a similar situation.

As others have said, the aesthetics are worth it :-) Performance is very good (see my GPS antenna install post above if interested).
Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by schnell
I also had an Alpine (IDA-X001 with Bluetooth adapter) which I installed after removing the original factory cassette player. I got the Alpine from Crutchfield, and they provided an adapter harness, so no hacking was necessary... maybe you have a similar situation.

As others have said, the aesthetics are worth it :-) Performance is very good (see my GPS antenna install post above if interested).
Good Point! First things first ... gonna check if my wiring harness is all hacked up first before I proceed . . . . . ..........
Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by KMASS993
If you want to control the iPhone itself from the radio. Can't do that over Bluetooth.
I don't know if this has changed since 2016 but I just installed the Classic Nav Radio and A2DP protocol (skip ahead and back while BT streaming) is definitely functional. You do not need to pull your phone out to skip tracks while streaming.

Just wanted to address this for anyone reading this old thread while contemplating this upgrade (as I was a couple of weeks ago and that statement above concerned me).

Quick Reply: Installed Porsche Classic Radio