Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good price for GT3 seats that I am close to buying TOMORROW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Is this a good price for GT3 seats that I am close to buying TOMORROW?

I'm currently at the First Settlers DE at VIR and am about to jump on a used set of black leather GT3 seats from a 996 owner. (I know I need to have the 993 sliders. I'm assuming I can order them from Gert or FVD, yes?) Anyway, the seats supposedly have zero wear on them and are costing $2500 for the pair. Is this a really good price for used GT3 seats or just an okay price? Gert is selling them for about $3400 but I know others on this board have purchased them new for $2700 when the exchange rate was better last year.

I'm about to do the deal tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

A friend of mine bought a used pair in great shape for $1500 at a race shop in Chicago. Black leather with guards red frame that he stuck in his red 1991 turbo.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gert said you can't but just the sliders (at least not from him) Let me know what you discover!!
Old 09-29-2003, 03:21 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

check these seats out ...... they just came out and i think they look way better than the gt3 seats

http://www.subesports.com/products/?...bra&prodID=204
Old 09-29-2003, 09:50 AM
titleist1
Racer

I went to the website but i did not see any seats!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Seats

I just bought a pair for $500, slightly used.

Bad joke, sorry..it is 6:10 AM here on the Left Coast. Great price you have, great seats.

Bargains on these seats don't come along that often, and I don't see the $ coming back strong against the Euro for quite some time.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, the price seems OK, but a good set of adjustable sliders will add $2-300+ to that bottom end.

You will love the seats though!
Old 09-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for all of your replies. I went ahead and bought the seats, which were absolutely perfect and without any wear. The PO also threw in a new pair of Sabelt harnesses that he wasn't using so the deal got even better.

I havea feeling getting these seats dialed in is going to be a challenge.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:36 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark

Congrats, but you need to slow down so I can try to keep up.

I'm going to order the RS sways next week and plan on getting the PSS9s and sways installed this winter. I have a long way to go to catch up, but my rev-limiter (wife) is set too low...

Will the GT3 Seat install be part of the DIY weekend? We need to start looking at some dates.

-Skip
Old 09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there a tool to adjust that rev-limiter. If so I say we do a group buy!!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:55 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It isn't size that matters, but how you use the tool.

The best way to get better is "Seat Time" (practice).
Old 09-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Skip - I can't stop slowing down. I am the King of Rationalizations and the 993 is my land.

Congrats to you on the RS bars. The tuneability is a must. And to think I even considered sticking with my stock ones.

I somehow warped my rotors either at the Schattenbaum Summit DE or early this weekend, so I'm going to have to change my discs pronto to get ready for the Glen. I'm definitely up for a DIY weekend to do your brakes and the HID install (which the government can pry from my dead, cold hands.)

Here's something else to consider: Manny Alban, our Zone 2 rep, has been following our DIY day in previous threads and suggested the Chesapeake region do a tech day at GT Performance with 993 racer and shop owner Genady Soykher. GT Performance is up in Edgewood and is a bit of haul for you but let me know if you're interested. If not, Chesapeake can still do the tech day but we can get our work done on our own schedule.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the GT3 seats is going to be a multi-day endeavor for me that won't be easily accomplished. I can't wait to get them in!
Old 09-30-2003, 01:18 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Mark, when I had to remove my seats, I found that the 6 bolts holding the factory mount to the floor were very tight indeed and quite easily chewed if you're not careful.

Eventually I found a very easy way to loosen them. Use an allen key and a rubber mallet. Make sure the allen key is firmly in place and hold it down as you bash the end of the key with the mallet. The second seat came out in under five minutes after I worked this out - the first involved dremmeling out chewed bolt heads, etc - not good!

Good luck, Graham
Old 09-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Graham - thanks for your pointers. I will take any more advice you have. I'm going to have to reread the thread you started a couple of weeks ago.

I went through the dremeling and cursing thing when I had to remove the shear bolts form the aluminum cover over the chip. Fun.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Mark,
I think I can help you get those seats mounted. In my boxster I have a GT3 seat, helps keep my head from hitting the roll bar if I was rear ended. In the 993 I have recaro pole positions, those are close to the GT3 seat. I used the BKauto brackets to mount them into my car. I can check to see if the same bracket would work with the GT3 seat. One of my seats has a slider the other seat is bolted directly to the floor. Also I bought the seat belt brackets used in the RS, so I could still use the three point belt on the street.

I agree doing a tech session up at Gennady's would be great. We would need to come up with some type of schedule or idea of what everyone wants to get done.

Todd

Quick Reply: Is this a good price for GT3 seats that I am close to buying TOMORROW?