Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good price for GT3 seats that I am close to buying TOMORROW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 01:55 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The tech session sounds great! We'll have to look at schedules and such, but the driving doesn't bother me at all.

Talk to you later.

Skip
Old 09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Todd - we missed you at VIR. Manny and Tim had some great stories.

VIR is one hell of a track. Silly fast and such a pretty facility. I have so many corners I need to work on. Next year I'll drop back to blue for VIR to get some instruction. Jeff Curtis was kind enough to instruct me for a session but it wasn't enough by any stretch.

Thanks for your offer. My concern is to be able to slide the seats and still retain decent headroom. At just 5' 11" and with a long torso, I have helmet-to-roof issues. I may even pull out the foam and insert something thinner to gain a 1/2" or so.

Skip - excellent! I'll work on setting it up.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 326 Posts

Mark,

At 6'3" I also had helmet to roof issues, with the factory comfort seats I was able to fit without a problem. But with the sliders on the pole position seat I didn't have enough head room. I could have taken the bottom cushion out, but Gennady talked me out of that one. I do have the sliders on the passenger seat, so I can move it forward. Access to the rear seats is still limited even when using sliders, but with the roll bar installed, there's not much use of the rear anyway. I'll check my GT3 seats and the Pole Position to see if the same brackets will work.

Glad to see you had a good time at VIR. It's a county club compared to Summit.

If we do the DIY session as a Chesapeake event, I can post it on the website. Isn't it funny how you can get sucked into putting together an event .

Todd
Old 09-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tood :

Can you post a pict of the seats in your 993??

Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 10:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Kristoffer,
Here's a shot from the drivers side. You can notice the drivers seat is a bit lower then the passenger.

Todd

Old 09-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Todd - your photo didn't upload properly. Either that or I'm having computer problems.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Mark,
The picture show up for me, both at home on the Mac and at work on the PC. Try going to http://www.gtracer.net/Pictures/seats.jpg
This is an old picture, I now have the 996 three spoke steering wheel. Picked up the wheel from ebay for $159 and the air bag from Tischer for $267.

Todd
Old 10-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Todd. This morning it loaded properly for me. Weird.

Your seats look great. Re your harnesses, are you not supposed to tie them in directly to the DAS bar? It looks like you have them looped down to the actual OEM belt bolts.

Sweet price on that wheel! I'd like to get a smaller diameter one. Is the 996 wheel smaller in diameter or just fatter?
Old 10-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd,

Setup is very nice. I found a place advertising the SPG (Pole Positions), looks the same as yours for $580/seat. Does that sound reasonable?

TIA,
Sam
Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Hey Mark,

Don't forget to post some pictures of the installation process.

BTW - I had a blast a VIR this past weekend. We need to do it again in the Spring!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Harvey - All right! I see you found time to make it onto Rennlist. Hope to see more of you.

I had a great time running with you. Maybe next year after I completely learn the full course and get my R compounds, I'll be able to keep up with you and your slicks. BTW, my car was most likely faster on the straights due to the greater weight of your wheels and massive tires, not to mention the Steve Weiner chip.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

Don't sugar coat it Mark, your ability to "look through the corner," trail brake and utilize efficient slip angles to carry massive amounts of speed through the corners gave you outstanding exit speed. Also, I think your cracked rotors reduce the thermal efficiency of brake system thereby preventing you from actually slowing down!

Old 10-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Sam - thank you but, alas, at least on the full course at VIR, that just wasn't so. I was slower than Harvey through oak tree and rollercoaster but was able to keep up with him on the straights. 205 and 255 17" tires on cup wheels vs. his much wider but heavier 245/285(?) tires cost him power on the straights.

<edit> Despite his LWF, which I just noticed.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Hey Sam,
That's the lowest I could find the pole positions. The SPG is a little narrower then the pole position. Manny has the SPG and I sat in his, but my thighs where two big. But I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

Todd
Old 10-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Mark,
I guess on the harnesses there's two schools of thought. One is to use the seat belt anchor, since it's a strong factory mounting place. The second is two mount them on the roll bar, since having them shorter, the belts are less likely to stretch much. Now the DAS bar adds another dynamic, and that's the small bolts used in the back to mount the bar. In the event of an off road excursion and the belts on the bar, the forces could be enough to sheer the bolt, thus allowing the belts to move forward. With one person it might not be an issue but with an instructor in the car, it might be a problem. In the end Gennady said it wasn't a problem to string the belts down and fasten them to the seat belt mounts. Of course I'm no mechanical engineer so some of the concerns maybe false.

The 3 spoke wheel is slightly smaller, about 1/4 inch (14 3/4" vs 15"). It maybe an illusion but the wheel seems to sit out a little bit more then the 4 spoke.

Todd

Quick Reply: Is this a good price for GT3 seats that I am close to buying TOMORROW?