Brake Caliper Restoration Refinishing Paint repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, thanks, that is much clearer!

How heat resistant is the paint you are using (i.e. heat from track use, etc.)?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Ok, thanks, that is much clearer!

How heat resistant is the paint you are using (i.e. heat from track use, etc.)?

Cheers,

Mike
Mike the finish is hard-baked it is meant to surpass the finish that your calipers came with originally.

Track-use is not something we can guaranty against, we have tracked a couple of our own sets and have had no issues however we all know there are those who may have much higher heat cycles over others who baby their Porsche cars in track-mode...
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 PM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 PM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Proceed w/ caution,
if you don't remove the spring plates, instead of calling you to tell you they couldn't remove them, they will paint over them. Your pads will not go back in and you'll have to spend another $400 for those parts and more in labor to have the old hardware removed.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My confidence in your company was vacated when I went to select my car, when I saw you offered wheels for the 964/965 models. Either it was supposed to show 964/993 (which the 993 is not listed at all) or you are in a very limited market, because there is only one 965 that I know of. . . .
Old 09-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Wheel Dynamics 2
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
My confidence in your company was vacated when I went to select my car, when I saw you offered wheels for the 964/965 models. Either it was supposed to show 964/993 (which the 993 is not listed at all) or you are in a very limited market, because there is only one 965 that I know of. . . .
We are sorry that the availability of the wheels we offer have changed, it seems that the market for manufacturing smaller and higher off-set wheels is slowly diminishing. We have the ability to modify our new line 18" RS-808 however the highest off-set would be 50-et rear which might not work out that great for you.

We want to wish you well in your quest for the right set, and if we can help you with a factory set we have some options we can help you with.

We may not have all of four factory sets posted but we will have some posted in the SPECIAL'S page. If you are searching for something in particular please contact us.

info@wheeldynamics.com

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ACCOUNT, THIS IS THE ACCOUNT WE ARE REQUIRED TO USE WHEN RENNLIST CAN'T FIND OUR ACCOUNT IN THEIR SYSTEM AND WE MUST WAIT FOR THEM TO RESET OUR ACCOUNT INFORMAITON
Old 09-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Wheel Dynamics 2
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by motobri
Proceed w/ caution,
if you don't remove the spring plates, instead of calling you to tell you they couldn't remove them, they will paint over them. Your pads will not go back in and you'll have to spend another $400 for those parts and more in labor to have the old hardware removed.
Sir,

We recall your order, we had communicated with the person who was rebuilding your Porsche, he did confirm that your calipers were heavily corrosive and under the plates were so highly corrosive that they lifted the plates up at least 1/8" on each side.

We took the time to speak with your mechanic regarding this issue, we also explained to you that we do not rebuild the calipers, it was your mechanic who verified that the calipers needed to be rebuilt (replacing the plates and hardware) and because those plates that lines the brake pads were now "bowing" from the corrosion also needed to be replaced, your tech also explained that the hardware also should be replaced when removing these.

Sir, we took on the task to refinish the brake calipers, your tech confirmed that the paint on the plates were not the issue (in his words, the paint is not the issue, if it was we would have easily remove the paint from the plates) the issue was that the calipers were corrosive and in need of extended repair. The good part was that the tech I spoke with was so impressed by the work that he told us that he would be sending work or customer our way.

He did confirm that our service had nothing to do with the extensive corrosion your calipers had.

We ask that you please refrain from trying to publicly discredit us on the work that we provide. You might not be happy since we did not want to replace your hardware and plates for you at no-cost since you felt that it was part of our service,.....
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Calipers are stripped down to the core, painted, decal applied, clear coated and hard-bake finished. We use high-temp tape to mask off the mounting points where the calipers are mounted and we also mask off the dust-boots and pistons. If you need other items such as side plates (common on the 993) calipers kept clear we can do at your request (WE DO NOT REMOVE THOSE PLATES NOR DO WE REMOVE CORROSIVE ITEMS FROM UNDER THOSE PLATES, get that done if necessary before shipping them to us)
  • The cost on standard colors and finishing is $150 ea.
We forgot to mention in our last post,
WE DO NOT rebuild calipers, only refinish them.

We recommend rebuilding them prior to shipping them to us, this way the person who rebuilds them doesn't have to worry about the way he handles them during his job.
Is it $150/caliper or $150/pair?

If $150/caliper = $300/pair... I was quoted $400/pair of calipers by a well known brake rebuilder to strip, repaint, and rebuild ("restore" they say). The cost of the rebuild kits for the calipers are significant piece of that cost, more than the $100 difference. (Of course I'm talking retail parts cost and not the bulk pricing a rebuilder might get.) And its a one-stop service.

WD, No offense intended, just a price comparison for my RL993 brethren with which to make an informed decision. Yours is the right service for a DIY'er who can rebuild their calipers, but wants the paint done professionally.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Wheel Dynamics 2
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kjr914
Is it $150/caliper or $150/pair?
WD, No offense intended, just a price comparison for my RL993 brethren with which to make an informed decision. Yours is the right service for a DIY'er who can rebuild their calipers, but wants the paint done professionally.
Our price is per caliper, we find that for the most part the larger majority of our customers do not need rebuilding services. Through the years we have seen plenty of shops come and go, they have ranged from those garage warriors and others who simply powder-coat over the original paint (which is not helping the caliper to dissipate the heat accurately).

We certainly don't take any offense to others who might be be offering a similar service. We have been performing this service for close to 12-years now and we know that the quality of our finishing is the best.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics 2
Sir,

We recall your order, we had communicated with the person who was rebuilding your Porsche, he did confirm that your calipers were heavily corrosive and under the plates were so highly corrosive that they lifted the plates up at least 1/8" on each side.

We took the time to speak with your mechanic regarding this issue, we also explained to you that we do not rebuild the calipers, it was your mechanic who verified that the calipers needed to be rebuilt (replacing the plates and hardware) and because those plates that lines the brake pads were now "bowing" from the corrosion also needed to be replaced, your tech also explained that the hardware also should be replaced when removing these.

Sir, we took on the task to refinish the brake calipers, your tech confirmed that the paint on the plates were not the issue (in his words, the paint is not the issue, if it was we would have easily remove the paint from the plates) the issue was that the calipers were corrosive and in need of extended repair. The good part was that the tech I spoke with was so impressed by the work that he told us that he would be sending work or customer our way.

He did confirm that our service had nothing to do with the extensive corrosion your calipers had.

We ask that you please refrain from trying to publicly discredit us on the work that we provide. You might not be happy since we did not want to replace your hardware and plates for you at no-cost since you felt that it was part of our service,.....
Now there's an eye opening difference from the OP...!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nine9six
Now there's an eye opening difference from the OP...!
We work very hard to maintain our quality and reputation on these forums, not only this one and of course we are not happy when a customer wants to use the forums as a means to try and discredit our work based a detail that has nothing to do with our services.

Simply put when we questioned the mechanic who was physically working on this car as to the over-all condition he admitted that there was corrosion consistent with the brake calipers. The tech explained to us that when he called the customer to explain the corrosion issue that the customer did not want to pay him to restore them and he insisted that it has to do with our service.

We do not remove those plates since they are a monster to remove at times, they are angled in there so hard that you will more than likely require new hardware. The plates were damaged from the corrosion (bowed up from corrosion underneath the plates) he needed to have those plates replaced regardless if he ever expected to have correct size pads installed in these calipers.

Sort of like bringing us your engine block to be painted and then telling us that we are responsible for a leaking head-gasket. We are 100% sure that this customer was simply looking to have some free work performed if not from his mechanic (who quoted him $400 on the job) or was hoping that we would offer to cover this cost.

We took extra time to make calls with his tech to fully understand the situation in order to confirm what we already expected. This is not our first set of calipers, we have been refinishing calipers now for about 12-years.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics 2
we know that the quality of our finishing is the best.
prove it.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
prove it.
You tell us how you would like to have that done...
Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

You tell us how you would like to have that done...
You're the one who made the claim.

You would think that you've done some testing to be able to make such a statement.

I'm the best 993 owner EVAR.

see how easy that is?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You're the one who made the claim.

You would think that you've done some testing to be able to make such a statement.

I'm the best 993 owner EVAR.

see how easy that is?
Proof is in the pudding, would you like a scoop?

If you are local come on by and we will show you how our finishing comes out better than the factory finish. We will be happy to make you a believer when you have something to send out way if you are not local.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Restoration Refinishing Paint repair