Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Restoration Refinishing Paint repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:48 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys - enough bickering. I have a solution. I'll offer up my calipers to be refinished, and when they're done, I'll tell everyone if they're the best or not.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
Guys - enough bickering. I have a solution. I'll offer up my calipers to be refinished, and when they're done, I'll tell everyone if they're the best or not.
Nice try..... if only we had a nickle.....
Old 09-23-2015, 09:04 PM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics 2
Sir,

We recall your order, we had communicated with the person who was rebuilding your Porsche, he did confirm that your calipers were heavily corrosive and under the plates were so highly corrosive that they lifted the plates up at least 1/8" on each side.

We took the time to speak with your mechanic regarding this issue, we also explained to you that we do not rebuild the calipers, it was your mechanic who verified that the calipers needed to be rebuilt (replacing the plates and hardware) and because those plates that lines the brake pads were now "bowing" from the corrosion also needed to be replaced, your tech also explained that the hardware also should be replaced when removing these.

Sir, we took on the task to refinish the brake calipers, your tech confirmed that the paint on the plates were not the issue (in his words, the paint is not the issue, if it was we would have easily remove the paint from the plates) the issue was that the calipers were corrosive and in need of extended repair. The good part was that the tech I spoke with was so impressed by the work that he told us that he would be sending work or customer our way.

He did confirm that our service had nothing to do with the extensive corrosion your calipers had.

We ask that you please refrain from trying to publicly discredit us on the work that we provide. You might not be happy since we did not want to replace your hardware and plates for you at no-cost since you felt that it was part of our service,.....

Nice try. What you forgot to mention was that when I personally dropped my calipers off, your employee that checked them in said that the spring plates would be removed, no problem. Instead of calling and saying you couldn't get them off, you decided to paint over them. Who paints over removable parts??? When I removed the pads they came out very easily and once the plates were painted over, they no longer would fit, regardless of bowing or corrosion. The only issue of corrosion was removing the allen screws that hold the plates in.

Bottom line is, had you informed me you planned on painting over the hardware, I would have stopped you and handled removing the hardware myself. Lack of customer communication-you earned the discredit.

Damn right I'm not happy. Because of your lack of common sense, it has now cost me double the amount you charge to have red calipers, The painted over screws were nearly impossible to remove & a machinist, not my tech, had to build a special jig to get the screws out which cost $600, plus the parts that has to be replaced at $450.

Instead of offering any kind of goodwill, you simply blamed it on the corrosion.

And let's not bring up it took me sending them back after your poor shipping packaging the first time caused all 4 to be damaged.

As I said, buyer beware.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:11 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

deleted...

Last edited by nine9six; 09-24-2015 at 01:15 AM. Reason: not worth my time
Old 09-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

We spoke with Gabriel the sales person who accepted your calipers, he confirmed that you had asked him if the brake pad retaining clips would be removed prior to refinishing.

Gabriel said not only did he confirm with you that the retaining clips would be removed but also offered to polish them for you at no additional cost. Doing you a favor, he indicated that there were no words exchanged regarding the corrosion infested under the plates inside the calipers. We stripped down what we could without breaking-down the calipers for you.

Sir, this goes without saying that the condition of the calipers which were brought in were clearly in need of a rebuild however this is your call as a customer to make, we did not charge you to rebuild them, only to refinish them.

We wish you well in your restoration but would appreciate it if you would be honest about things when posting, we have processed well over a thousand calipers to date, we know a thing or two when it comes to these items.

Once again we wish you well in your restoration,
Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 PM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Again and for the last time, nobody called to say that you couldn't get the hardware off. And of course you didn't charge to rebuild because you just painted over everything without contacting me.
End of story.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Restoration Refinishing Paint repair