Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nada
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default visit to see SC in person

Originally Posted by gridlock61
Bu the way, I noticed that you are not very far from me (I also used to live in Danbury). Let me know if you would like to get together to see what the car is like with the SC.
I would LOVE to catch up with you and go for a spin together
I have not met any one locally that has done this and would love to see it in person. I will send you a PM
Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
And the "while you are in there" syndrome ...

Keep us updated on you journey, SC or not, the end result will be worth it.
I got some preliminary figures on the rebuild and the super charger.
I had them include many "While you are in there" items like plugs, wires, clutch, distributor, belts, lower valve covers, oil return tubes, head temp sensor... Cheaper to do them now then later that is why I want to do the SC now, it sounds like 2/3 of the labor is covered in the top end rebuild so if I am ever going to do it, now is the time. I would like to have the engine bay detailed when they do it, also have a few odds and ends that need addressing. It sounds like the car will be tied up for around 2 months. I hope it is the improvement in power I am imagining. Might hold off a bit to squirrel away some more cash for the extras. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Toddster,

You will LOVE the extra HP/Torque that the SC adds. The power band is wide and driveability is so much better. I had my engine refreshed recently, added light weight flywheel and heavy duty clutch. I also rebuilt the suspension (HD bushings), bearings, rebuilt calipers, rebuilt steering rack, JRZ shocks, new springs, etc...The car is tight, quick responce, fun!!! I will taking the car to a SCCA PDX track day at the Daytona Rolex course. It should be awesome. BTW, I have had this car up to 180 mph in Indiana some years back!!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

What is the mileage on the engine? I am asking because of the extra power and thermal loads you will putting on that engine and driveline with the SC, if the engine is a bit tired for instance, that just increases the likelihood of problems later on. Additional oil cooling is recommended as well.

Being an engineer, I believe there are reasons why Porsche beefed up many components on the Turbo - to take the extra power and control the thermal loads - so for me I would never SC a NA car, but it's sure interesting to watch others do it.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
What is the mileage on the engine? I am asking because of the extra power and thermal loads you will putting on that engine and driveline with the SC, if the engine is a bit tired for instance, that just increases the likelihood of problems later on. Additional oil cooling is recommended as well.

Being an engineer, I believe there are reasons why Porsche beefed up many components on the Turbo - to take the extra power and control the thermal loads - so for me I would never SC a NA car, but it's sure interesting to watch others do it.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Mike
The car has under 50K on it
I will be doing a top end at the same time
If I start doing a lot of track time in it I could see adding additional cooling.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Toddster,

You will LOVE the extra HP/Torque that the SC adds. The power band is wide and driveability is so much better. I had my engine refreshed recently, added light weight flywheel and heavy duty clutch. I also rebuilt the suspension (HD bushings), bearings, rebuilt calipers, rebuilt steering rack, JRZ shocks, new springs, etc...The car is tight, quick responce, fun!!! I will taking the car to a SCCA PDX track day at the Daytona Rolex course. It should be awesome. BTW, I have had this car up to 180 mph in Indiana some years back!!!!
Did you add the light weight flywheel at the same time as the super charger?
I was wondering how those two combinations would feel together. Curious how much more responsive the throttle was off the line with and without the lightweight fly wheel
Old 08-03-2016, 01:46 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Toddster,

I just saw your post/question... When I first had the SC installed, I left the drive train alone. The car had only about 20k miles on it (third owner). No issues for a number of years. At about 40k miles, the clutch was getting a bit weak. I decided to pull the engine and trans to rebuild them both (top end was in need of valve guides, LSD was toast) and put in a light weight flywheel, GT3 clutch and heavy duty pressure plate. I had the fuel injectors sent out for cleaning and calibration (RC Engineering). Now the car runs so smooth. I was getting some stalling when pulling up to lights/stop signs. I did the search on this and found a thread on adjusting the Idle Stabilizer Valve. This I did and no stalling at all!!!

The car runs great! Quick off the line and you need to shift quicker in the lower gears.

Quick Reply: Top end rebuild with a TPC super charger