993 Forum 1995-1998

The ultimate garage lift question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Bags
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ultimate garage lift question

I have reviewed the archives and did my homework, so any "real world" feedback would be great. As I understand, the 4 poster lifts are better for car over car storage, have less cement wight concerns and in some cases do not need to be bolted down. However, they are not the best to do mechanicals with. So, does anyone make a 4 post with the ability to remove the wheels (or a couple of wheels at a time) and easily work under? The 2 post models are easier to work under but, I have not got a definate answer to the concern of storing a car with the suspension unloaded. So, is there a problem with this? What are you all using to solve this delema. Does anyone make a 2 or 4 post with removable ramps? My garage starts in October so your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-31-2003, 07:09 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're looking for a lift similar to what an alignment shop would use. Hunter lifts have optional "swing air jacks" that can be added front/rear on the 4-post lift to allow you to lift the car off the ramps. Other companies likely have something similar.

Check out this page, specifically the L424 or L421 lifts.

Of course, no affiliation with Hunter, etc. Just did a web search and their page was at the top of the google list.

EDIT: Another option I found from Autolifters, that is a little more low-tech (read "cheaper") -- their 4-post lifts have an optional sliding jack tray that spans the two ramps to allow you to put a bottle jack on to lift the car. Check out this page about 3/4 of the way down for info on it. Again, no affiliation...

-Chris
Old 08-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Bags:

Check out Eagle Lifts, Ultimate Garage and Werther International. You can use "google" to find the links.

I have been looking at lifts for a while now and have narrowed the search to either one of the Eagles or the 230i through Werther. Either would be a low post height, two post asymetric. Pricing is comparable within a couple of hundred bucks. It boils down to fit and features.

Like you, I want to consider the storage possibility as well.

Have fun looking !
Old 09-01-2003, 12:07 AM
shockm
Racer

I installed a Bendpak 4 post lift a couple of months ago. The ramps are removable, it also has a "jack plate" that you can move back and forth the length of the runways. You put a bottle jack on the jack plate to raise either side of the car. I store my 993 cab above my 930. I love it! $2800 delivered.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Shockm:

Who did you purchase your Bendpak lift from? Good experience?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I elected to buy a 2 post hoist.
however, my criteria was for "mechanical access", not storage space.

shockm
Do you ever have the 993 leak oil onto the 930 ?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:10 AM
Bags
Rennlist Member

Q
Nice garage.... Who makes your lift? I assume it is bolt in. Are there any special weight requirements for the cement? Also, can you store a car on that lift (for a few weekw to months) without causing suspension harm?
Thanks
Mike
Old 09-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bags,

It is made by an Australian company. Cost was approx $2500US
Yes the hoist is bolted in with 4 chemsets per side.
The hoist is rated to 2Tonne

Most slabs on ground should handle this loading

I have left cars on the hoist for several days.
Long term effects ?
I can't imaging there would be any to the suspension.
It handles greater loads when banging around on B grade roads.

My only concern would be for cab or targa bodied cars.
I have seen them flex when being lifted.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:04 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Bags, if you're building a garage, just spec 3500lb. concrete rather than the more common 2000lb. Your lift installer can core drill for a two post lift almost as easily as mounting a 4 post lift. No biggie there. As for safety of long term storage on a two post lift, I have been to tons of shops where month after month, project cars are always in the same position on the same lift, so it must be too much of a concern. Plus, most have steel pegs you can insert into the track and then lower the lift onto those pegs. This relieves all pressure from the lift internals, and should help with longevity. I would think if you get one with this feature, you would be fine.

E. J.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:44 PM
ChrisJ
4th Gear

Question

I've been researching this for a while now. Seems that the basic 7,000lb lifts run b/w $1,600 and $4,000. They vary in quality, as well as included options and shipping costs. Has anyone done a good analysis of the variations and costs? I'm slowly getting there, but I'd sure appreciate reading any comarative studies already out there!

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

I bought a nice red eagle 4 post lift on ebay - was actually mailed a "second chance offer" and bought for 2400 shipped - 7k rating, 3 drip trays, sliding jack stand (useless for our cars with exception of engine lifting) lightweight aluminum removable ramps - definately a plus cause you are moving them quite a bit, and, casters that really work and are really nice. My lightweight jack will fit anywhere on the runways and will lift from our jack locations, and I just hang the rear end of the car over the rear of the lift to work under the engine. Get yourself a telescoping oil can and your in business. The best part was when the band played at a party and I turned the whole lift sideways and the drummer set up under the cab. What a backdrop and what a hit!!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:15 PM
ChrisJ
4th Gear

Thanks for the kudos on Eagle. The prices between Bendpak, Eagle and Meco are within a couple hundred $ of each other. From the limited details they give out, they all look the same. I'm trying to get personal comments on each one, and preferably more specifics.

So, you don't recommend the jack tray? Because our cars lift from above the runways - makes sense. I was hoping for a lift that can be easily be converted to lift w/o the runways - for wheel / suspension / brake work.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:35 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Jed, which eagle lift did you buy. I'm trying to figure out which mid rise lift will give the most access. I have 8' ceilings, and I'm interested in a lift that'll let me have as much access as possible. The ultimate garage lift doesn't allow access to one of the oil filters, according to the web site. So is there a good midrise lift for service work (not storage)? Maybe the bendpak?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:55 PM
bjb
Advanced

I bought a 4-poster PerfectPark 7000 XLT from www.liftsunlimited.com. I liked the looks of the larger posts than the Eagle, and in my case I put it on the (sturdy) wooden floor of the second floor of my bank-barn-like garage, so I thought the extra bearing area wouldn't hurt either. GratefulJED's comments apply equally to my lift - lightweight aluminum ramps very convenient, great for changing oil (although I've only done that on cars other than my 993). Not helpful for brake work. I have never really found a use for the sliding jack trays.

BJB
Old 09-19-2003, 09:34 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

The bendpak has those jacks that slide along rails. If you had the lift and had two of those jacks, would that do it?

Or should I just forget it and beg for lift time from friends.

Quick Reply: The ultimate garage lift question