A sad day for the family wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy A sad day for the family wagon

Last night I was involved in a car accident with our 93 MBZ 300TE station wagon. I feel really terrible for the station wagon, it served us very well in the past several month and gave her life to protect us from the other careless driver.

The accident happened last night after work on 836 east bound right after toll booth. From a far distance I saw a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck zooming passing everyone from my mirror, so I moved over to the right lane to avoid getting rammed from behind. Since I had anticipated him spinning out (the roads were wet from rain) so I slowed my car down, right after he passed me I saw him loose control and from the left lane slid across all three highway lanes and hit the concrete barrier wall on the right side of the highway and bunced backwards and managed to slammed the back of his truck into the front of our car while we have already stopped.

And of course he does not have any insurance. Florida highway patrol wrote the guy two tickets, one for reckless driving the other for no insurace.

From looking at the damages I think the insurance is going to total our station wagon. The car is only worth about $8000, and I estimate the damages to be around $5000.

Luckily no one was hurt including the family dog.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that really sucks! but glad to hear that you and yours are all safe.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh... I'm really sorry to hear about that Robin

I am glad that you and your family are all safe though..

How big was the impact when the car hit you, Robin? From the pictures, it looks like the Mercedes build quality is pretty solid?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

From my rough estimate the truck hit us at around 20 mph, the air bags didn't go off and we barely felt the impact, the old MBZ station wagon (5000 lb) absorb the impact like a sponge.

The dog didn't even move.

Unfortunately we had to get the car towed because the impact punctured the radiator.

Thank you
Old 08-22-2003, 12:37 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

That sucks Robin. I know how you feel. A few days ago, my wife was rear ended in our new (less than a year) Volvo. Of coarse the lady wouldnt provide insurance or her license. She quickly wrote my wife a check ($500) and split with my wife asking her to stay and wait for Police.

First off, wife is fine, neck a little sore etc. The car has two small holes in the bumper from the license plate bolts of the van that hit her.

The police decide to show-up one and a half hours later. The officer says 'I dont know why I was call since this is NOT a hit and run'. I am glad I was not there to hear that from this officer.

Wife says please explain. Officer states since the lady that hit us gave a check with her address on it, its not a hit and run. Even though the perp is leaving the state the following day, according to the perp. So I guess that means we can drive around and cause an accident, scratch a supposedly good check to the victim and leave? Is that really legal? I would think otherwise.

Anyhow Robin, glad to hear you all are ok, including the dog!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:51 PM
mtopp
Intermediate

Glad you got out of it with no damage to yourself. But you got to love it here in Florida where it's the law to have insurance, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper just to pay the fine for not having it, rather than to pay the actual expensive insurance premiums here in Florida.

I got pulled of for (cough cough) speeding just last week and luckily the nice policeman just gave me a citation for not carrying my insurance with me.
Not carrying insurance = $5
Not having insurnace = $47
6 months of insurance for two cars = = $1600

No wonder there are so many people here in Florida with no insurance.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Philly had a "Live Stop" program where cars with no insurance were impounded. Unfortunately, it's seasonal given the resources required (they set up random road inspections in the area). I wish they just make it a blanket policy where even the parking meter maids can call in the tow trucks to impound the cars. Hell lot more productive that citing people for not having front license plates (I know it's not required in PA, but I've heard that in CA they're having meter maids cite folks for no front license plates).

It would sure help make the rates for us lawful folks more affordable (at least that's the excuse the insurance companies give as to why Philly's rates are among the highest in the country).

Good to hear that you're and everyone are ok. Maybe this is an excuse to get a E55 AMG wagon or RS6 Avant? You can tell the wife that it's still a practical car since it's a wagon. Just don't tell her how much hp it puts out.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 238 Posts

Robin,

Glad that you and the family are ok.

In NYS the insurance companies must have some kind of "near" real-time hook-up with DMV. Any hiccup with your insurance coverage and the DMV immediately demands you surrender your plates. If you don't the troopers show up at your door.

Good thing you weren't armed when this bozo hit you....
Old 08-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear the family is safe n' sound. Nice defensive driving!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:20 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robin
Bummer. Glad the car did its job & there were no injuries.

Originally posted by Robin 993DX in South Beach
Unfortunately we had to get the car towed because the impact punctured the radiator.
You really need to stay away from those water pumpers ... no reliability
Old 08-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sorry to hear that Robin. I'm glad that you are ok. You probably had some angels looking out for you.

Now would be a great time for a new wagon. How about the volvo 850 R? I've been actively looking for one for the past few months. Here's a pic:

Glad you are ok....
Old 08-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sheesh,

Those damn idiot driving around here, I really hate them!

But glad to hear you're all ok and also that you weren't with Porsche.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:26 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Glad to hear you are OK Robin! I love those W124 MB wagons. We used to have one, and several years ago when we lived in Austin, my wife was stopped at a red light and a full size Chevy pickup that didn't see her or the light slammed into her at full speed.

Full size truck: front end torn off. Engine relocated to under the driver seat. Driver and passenger made it, but were taken away in an ambulance.

MB Wagon: Rear bumper and bumper shocks, rear door, and taillight lenses replaced. Wife had a bit of a sore neck. That's it.

Last edited by User 4621; 08-22-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:32 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 55 Posts

Robin, sorry to hear about (and see) the damage. It doesn't look too bad. If they do total it, you may be able to buy it back for cheap and do the repairs yourself sourcing used body parts.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I think the FL state should pass a law that says if you get caught driving without insurance you will face automatic 1 year jail term and $15,000 fine. I am sure that will take care a lot of non-insure motorist problem.

State Farm was awesome in handling the sitaution, told me not to worry that they will pick up all the charges and cost and that my rates will not go up since I was not at fault and that they will go after the other driver.

Mike, funny you mentioned that, I was armed at the time. (Glock 27) Bozo was very sincere when he appoligized about the damages he caused, and admitted his fault to everyone. His whole family showed up at the accident scene 5 minutes after. I guess he called them on the cell right after the accident. But we did felt a lot safer with the 27 on us afterwards, since the tow truck driver decided to dropped us off at a not so good part of town so we could get a taxi to get home. Can you imagine the sight of a computer geek (with glasses) and his geeky wife (with glasses) and their collie dog standing on the side of the road waiting for a taxi in the wrong side of Miami. BTW, I have a CCW permit.

Jeff, we have not consider the Volvo station wagon. Only BMW 3 series wagon, Audi so far. Inputs anyone? Or maybe we will just buy a beater car.

Rezal, I think the road block is a great idea, wish they did that here. We were thinking maybe we should just buy a cheap beater car ($1000 range0 for everyday commute use. Kind of a bumper family car.

Petu, I was also telling my wife I am glad I am not in the Porsche either....

Peter, Yes, the 80s and 90s MBZ wagon are very tough (5000 lb), but sure move slow.... especially the 4 wheel drive 4 MATIC model....

Quick Reply: A sad day for the family wagon