Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turbo "S" Scoops with LED Lights Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
The Hella lights are an incredibly tight fit!! Holy cow this is going to be fun.

My hellas came with a rubber band in each package which you have no mention of. It's not supposed to be a gasket or O-ring or something is it?

Great write-up.

Thanks

G
Thanks for the nod G.

I seem to recall that the ducts came with rubber bands wrapped around them. Presumably to keep the gaskets and harness from flying around. They have nothing to do with the install. The ducts snap together quite tightly.

Good luck with install!

Jim
Old 10-26-2014, 09:00 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Do you sand the parts to give a good key for the primer to adhere to them?

Did you prime, paint and clearcoat the back and front of the parts?

Hopefully I'll get the paint during the week and finish these off next weekend as well as the parts I'm using to fill the holes in the bumper where the bumperettes usually are.

Spokes, what type of mesh did you use to cover the holes?

Thks

G
Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

Do you sand the parts to give a good key for the primer to adhere to them?

Did you prime, paint and clearcoat the back and front of the parts?

G
The turbo ducts from 911UK are plastic, so yes, you'll want to give them a quick sanding first followed by a tack cloth for a good key.

No need to paint or prime the backs of the turbo ducts. It's a waste of time and paint. Be careful painting around the ducts - they're deep and invite paint runs. Several light coats will serve you well. If you do encounter a run, 1,000 to 2,000 wet sandpaper is your friend.

Have a beer between each coat!

Jim
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Several coats and several beers.......hrrmmmmm. I see the last few being applied in a drunken haze.

Looking forward to this, when this is done next on the list is the awful opaque stoneguards. Though I think I'll just get somebody to do that one for me as it seems like it can degenerate into a nightmare pretty quicky.

G
Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

One other problem I have is that the euro clear corners don't seem to fit that well. The gaps between them on the current fog light is a little extreme. Not sure if I fitted it wrong or that's just the way it is. I know the turbo scoop projects underneath so maybe it won't be an issue.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foxman, your killing me with all these upgrades. I can't keep up with you or I won't be able to buy coffee for the next N.E. Cars and Coffee…….ha..ha Your car looked and sounded Great. I just placed a order with Darrin for a set.

Ralph
Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

Foxman - beautiful car and thanks for the thread. Makes me think...
Old 11-06-2014, 08:53 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Always a problem.

The paint I got from touch up direct looks much more like Arctic Silver rather than the polar silver I ordered.

Guy who was installing the stoneguards went to use it to fit a paint flake that got pulled off by the old stoneguards and called me about the mismatch.

Emailed TUD and hope to hear back from them early today or I'll be on the phone to them before they close for the evening.

*****!

G
Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Always a problem.

The paint I got from touch up direct looks much more like Arctic Silver rather than the polar silver I ordered.

Guy who was installing the stoneguards went to use it to fit a paint flake that got pulled off by the old stoneguards and called me about the mismatch.

Emailed TUD and hope to hear back from them early today or I'll be on the phone to them before they close for the evening.

*****!

G
I had the same problem with dr.colorchip, the match with polar was terrible. It looked more like slate grey than polar silver.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always a problem.

*****!

G
Mine matched Artic Silver just right
Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

They say that they sent me the 2004 polar silver by accident and are reshipping......

Hope for the best.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Just waiting for my LED's from Tore to complete my exterior. Ordered all LED's including license plate bulbs for a unified look.

G
Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 PM
bosoxfan
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Gmorat... what did you use to fill the holes from the bumperettes?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bosoxfan
Gmorat... what did you use to fill the holes from the bumperettes?
I used a plug made by a fellow Rennlister which he took a cast of and made a few copies.

The fit wasn't great because the holes were different on my car compared to the car it was originally built up on but I filled it out with bondo where needed and sanded down in other places and I think it turned out well.

G
Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Not to say it wasn't brilliant cos it was. I couldn't have done this without them. As far as a one size fits all 993's goes, it's probably not possible but maybe a plug that you add to to fill in the edges and get a good match might be possible. It wouldn't have to be too accurate as it would be a base to work from. The only skill anybody would need would be basic Bondo use and a bit of sandpaper.

Last edited by gmorat; 11-21-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo "S" Scoops with LED Lights Installed!