993 Forum 1995-1998

Help needed (to spend some money) for a '96 C2 tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:03 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
This is an awesome Ross, as I'm sure you know.

If youre interested, use your Tip wheel controls to control your stereo. I've wished I bought a Tip wheel to try this ever since I upgraded to a 3 spoke 996 wheel. I think user "Spyder_man"(?) wrote up a tutorial on using Tip controls for his stereo. Could be a different user, hard to keep track of in my head.
Thanks phoneyman. Yep - great suggestion! The plan was always to keep a tiptronic wheel as my Pioneer DEX-P99RS head unit fully supports wired control. I had stashed away this link from pcarworkshop for a rainy day:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...Steering_Wheel
Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 AM
bb3188
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rosswj67
Hi Mark. Absolutely agree. I considered sourcing a manual ECU, but in the end had Juuso build me an ECU based on the MS3 processor as per this thread So I guess I'm going to find out what happens when we transplant in the replacement ECU and attempt to fire it up... It won't care about manual/tip, so in theory should just work.
That's seems the most logical solution, do you think it might be good for your HK techs to note all wiring loom modification they have done ( so that you can work backwards in the future if ever needed ) ?

Originally Posted by rosswj67
I'll deal with the speedo, tiptronic steering wheel controls etc after it's back to Australia.
Good idea, personally it won't bother me.....
If at all, disable the connector that lights up the gear display on tip style speedo

Keep us up to date on your project 👍👍
Regards Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 11:20 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Ross
I used All Ports International Logistics (HK) LTD. The garage guys I used in HK recommended them and I had no problems with the process. This was back in 2008. They have a web site, and are located in Kwai Chung. http://www.allportsinternational.com.au/
I'm trying to remember the process as it was 7 years ago. I had to pay a free on the HK side. Ocean freight was HKD14,400. HK port charge + loading + docs + export clearance was $HKD5,650. Then minor things like marine insurance, pickup charge, and warehouse handling. All up HKD21,500.
I simply drove the car to the Kwai Chung docks where they where located and watched them load it into the container and then tie the car down so it would not move. I also put some bags and boxes of personal stuff in there as there was space. You want to make sure they tie it down as you don't want that nice paint job to be damaged. I also left A4 printed notes in the car for whoever was going to inspect it. I let them know where the battery shut off switch was, how to open the engine, trunk, etc. I wanted to avoid any damage that could happen.
I remember they asked about aircon refrigerant in the forms - it was R134A.
Leave your HK license plate on. Take it off when you get your new Aus plate.
There are a lot of forms to sign and fill in. But as long as you have all your documentation on hand it was just time consuming.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:34 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Then one day the Perth office calls me in Aus and tells me the car has arrived and can be picked up after a few days. In that time they send me the bill for the Aus side of things. Total charges where AUD$7,818.34. So all up for freight, and taxes, the car cost me about AUD$12k to get back to Aus.

Then on the day I went to pick up the car I went to the driving license centre to get a 3 day temp license so I can drive the car home and then to the pits.
Make sure your airbags are working. Know that once you lock the door it takes 20 seconds for the immobilizer to activate and work. Know that the rear seat hooks are up on the parcel shelf - you may need to take the rear shelf off and physically show them. Aus and NZ delivered cars had these little tabs on the face of the rear shelf that could be removed to reveal the anchor points. For some reasons my car did not have them - so I figure all HK delivered cars won't have them. The other thing they looked for was the engine serial no. You have to know where to look and they probably don't check many 993's so they will have no idea.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Ross
I used All Ports International Logistics (HK) LTD. The garage guys I used in HK recommended them and I had no problems with the process. This was back in 2008. They have a web site, and are located in Kwai Chung. http://www.allportsinternational.com.au/
I'm trying to remember the process as it was 7 years ago. I had to pay a free on the HK side. Ocean freight was HKD14,400. HK port charge + loading + docs + export clearance was $HKD5,650. Then minor things like marine insurance, pickup charge, and warehouse handling. All up HKD21,500.
I simply drove the car to the Kwai Chung docks where they where located and watched them load it into the container and then tie the car down so it would not move. I also put some bags and boxes of personal stuff in there as there was space. You want to make sure they tie it down as you don't want that nice paint job to be damaged. I also left A4 printed notes in the car for whoever was going to inspect it. I let them know where the battery shut off switch was, how to open the engine, trunk, etc. I wanted to avoid any damage that could happen.
I remember they asked about aircon refrigerant in the forms - it was R134A.
Leave your HK license plate on. Take it off when you get your new Aus plate.
There are a lot of forms to sign and fill in. But as long as you have all your documentation on hand it was just time consuming.
Great information haygeebaby! Thanks very much...
Old 04-19-2015, 10:10 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Default Latest updates

So it's been a while... car is unfortunately still in HK, but some progress has been made and I'm hopeful things will now start to ramp up and I'll have it in a container headed to Australia soon.

I believe the mechanical work is all completed and I now have a manual 993.

They then started to repair the previously crappy paint job in preparation to respray the entire car.

And to remove the headlight washers.

Unfortunately, while I knew that the windscreen likely had some rust after spending 18 years in the Hong Kong rain and humidity, it was a little worse than I had hoped.

So the repairs begin.

That's where things are at present. Hopefully paint will go on this week and they can start to get it back together soon.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Default Getting there...

More paint shop photos...

Hopeful that they can keep the momentum up and I can start to think about a shipping date later in May.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 PM
fghhgjff
4th Gear

you can do RS pieces as you see fit, and desire. I have RS splitters and skirts on my car. Did not opt for the RS tail, as I prefer the look without it, for a street car.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:03 PM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fghhgjff
you can do RS pieces as you see fit, and desire. I have RS splitters and skirts on my car. Did not opt for the RS tail, as I prefer the look without it, for a street car.
Thanks for the feedback fghhgiff!

I decided a while ago not to make this into a "replica" of anything. Cosmetically, it will end up with a turbo front end and Tramont Cup wheels - not because I'm trying to recreate something, purely as I prefer the look. This will be a daily driver which I intend to keep for many years.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:31 PM
gomjfb
4th Gear

Well, I was thinking more about the possibility of damage during shipping.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Default Ready to ship...

Looking a lot better than my last updates...

Comments from the workshop are that the RS gearbox + LWF + Juuso's ECU have transformed the car and it feels much more powerful...

Looking forward to getting it back to Sydney...
Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Default Shipping...

Getting closer now... The car loads onto the ship on the 28th and is due to dock in Sydney around mid-June.

In the interim all I can do is start to hord other bits and pieces while I wait...

Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 AM
bedema
3rd Gear

nice looking car
Good job
BTW, where did you find those LED lights?
Many thanks
I am in HK as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bedema
nice looking car
Good job
BTW, where did you find those LED lights?
Many thanks
I am in HK as well.
Thanks bedema!

LED lights were from https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/228/

And the holders were from http://www.crazyleds.co.uk/509T-twist-lock-holder..html

This recommendation came from the following thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-gauges-9.html

I obviously don't yet know if they are truely plug and play till I see the car again...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Active HiFi based on the Pioneer DEX-P99RS DSP

OP -

You're going to luv the active HiFi enhancement. .... went with this Tour de Force P99RS of a head unit several years ago. Dam, its a well thought out car audio kit. Excellence in every way ...

With the addition of a 3rd Party module (I forget the co name) your Tiptronic steering wheel controls will operate the P99RS.

Nice project !

Quick Reply: Help needed (to spend some money) for a '96 C2 tip